Earliest Ft. Lauderdale flight

Christine in MO

What is the earliest flight out of Ft. Lauderdale on a Sunday that you would be comfortable with? Is 12:15pm too early?

If you are arriving into Port Everglades and flying out of FLL...an 11:30am flight would be the earliest I would opt for...other's may tell of making earlier flights but that was them and that was then...don't risk it if you don't have to.

The airport is only about 15 min from the port via cab. Very easy to be there by 9 if you want. So 11:00 or later would be good for us.

If our flgiht was at noon or later, I'd stay on the ship and depart in the last group. Crowds will be gone and you have time to sip your morning coffee.

March 9, 2014 we stood in line at Port Everglades for 1 1/2 hours (from 10AM- 11:30) waiting for a taxi; lots of ships in port that day. The good news is that we were just going to a hotel, not the airport.

As long as there isn't an issue at customs and Immigration 12:15 will be more than enough time.

Last February, at Port Everglades,we were supposed to leave the ship at 8, finally left after 9, stood in line forever to be admitted back into the US, and finally got out to the fresh air around 10:40. That is the worst I've had it. We still would have made a 12:15 flight out of FLL with no difficulty.

This past Sunday I walked off the Allure around 9, it took an hour and fifteen minutes to clear customs and fifteen minutes to get a taxi and make it to the airport. So any flight after noon will work, however it should be noted there were on two ships in port Sunday.

Our flight on 1/15 departs 11:05 a.m. out of FLL.... we disembark from POM and have scheduled a shuttle to pick us up at 8:00 a.m. We have FTTF and plan to self-disembark :)

That is nuts. It took me almost three hours last week to make that drive due to traffic.

You guys are scaring me now. One thread says an 11am flight is easily do-able and you guys are saying it would be tough to make an 11am flight. My flight leaves at 10:55. But it looks like our ship "Oasis" gets in a 6:15am not 8am.

Are you arriving in Miami or to Port Everglades and which airport are you flying from?

Keith

Are you arriving in Miami or to Port Everglades and which airport are you flying from?

Keith

Ship is at Port Everglades cruise port and we fly out of FLL airport at 10:55. The ship arrives early though but lots of people since its a megaship with lots of pax. That is what concerns me.

The next best option for us is to leave at 6pm and getting in at 7:35pm then I have a 90 minute drive home so I really prefer the earlier flight.

Edited by AZ Karaoke Girl

Ship is at Port Everglades cruise port and we fly out of FLL airport at 10:55. The ship arrives early though but lots of people since its a megaship with lots of pax. That is what concerns me.

I am sure you'll be fine assuming there are no major holdups.

On one of the previous posts someone was talking about getting between Miami and Fort Lauderdale which is why I asked where you were arriving to and flying out of.

Keith

I decided not to risk it and went with a later flight. I found a flight that leaves at 3:05pm & arrives at 6:40pm then I'll have a 90 minute drive home. We get home later than I prefer but not too late. The deciding factor was I want to do the Luggage Valet on the ship so we don't have to mess with our large checked bags on disembarkation and they only offer that for flights later than 11:30 departure.

The next best option for us is to leave at 6pm and getting in at 7:35pm then I have a 90 minute drive home so I really prefer the earlier flight.

We have been to FLL numerous times. We have done the self walk off. Have left the ship by 730-800 am walked to the taxis and we have been checked in and having breakfast in the terminal by 830 am. I wonder if there is a way to see how many times in the course of a year a cruise ship didn't port when it was scheduled, if not a little early. I don't recall once, on any of our ports of call that we didn't arrive as scheduled. Get up early and watch portevergladeswebcam.com. Every weekend, the ships seem to arrive as scheduled. Of course, there can be mechanical problems etc but there will be lots of people in the same situation as you.. Hey we all make airline reservations and they usually go off as planed but once in a while the plane breaks or is late then we have to go to plan B

Edited by CFD130

Have made a 10:30ish flight on a number of occasions. We DID NOT carry off our luggage, but were in the first group(suite) of passengers to disembark. If you are among the first to depart, you can waltz thru customs and cabs will be plenty. We have been at FLL by 9 AM easily.

Wow, that is unfortunate! 31 miles in 3 hours??? It took us about 30 minutes last time to get from POM to FLL Airport ;)

That is impossible unless you were in a private helicopter.

You cannot make the drive in thirty minutes even if you were the only car between POM to FLL.

I decided not to risk it and went with a later flight. I found a flight that leaves at 3:05pm & arrives at 6:40pm then I'll have a 90 minute drive home. We get home later than I prefer but not too late. The deciding factor was I want to do the Luggage Valet on the ship so we don't have to mess with our large checked bags on disembarkation and they only offer that for flights later than 11:30 departure.

Now you have to decide what you will do with that extra time. ;) With no bags, you have the freedom to do anything.

Lunch along the beach, stroll Las Olas shops, water taxi or tour the intracoastal etc.

Edited by eandj

We won't be totally bagless. We will still have a couple carry ons. We will probably do another ship tour where they drop us off at the airport. Last time we did the everglades tour. May do that again. We'll see what they offer.

Some ships won't let you sign up for post cruise excursions unless your flight is 4:00 or later. Better check that.;)

That is impossible unless you were in a private helicopter.

You cannot make the drive in thirty minutes even if you were the only car between POM to FLL.

So I asked the other 5 adults in our group from last year and they said they'd estimate between 30 and 40 minutes tops. Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but this was on a Saturday.

I've also checked with our arranged transportation for this upcoming January 15th, which is a Thursday, and they advised that on a Thursday, in normal everyday traffic, it will take 45 minutes to 1 hour from POM to FLL.

We have been to FLL numerous times. We have done the self walk off. Have left the ship by 730-800 am walked to the taxis and we have been checked in and having breakfast in the terminal by 830 am. I wonder if there is a way to see how many times in the course of a year a cruise ship didn't port when it was scheduled, if not a little early. I don't recall once, on any of our ports of call that we didn't arrive as scheduled.

Here is one

Nov 9th docked 45 min late did not start disembarkation until after 8:30

It does happen ;)