Fort Lauderdale: Embassy suites or Gallery Doubletree

Michigan Cruisers

We are staying in Fort Lauderdale before our cruise on the Breeze out of Miami on December 20th. Have reservations at both the Embassy Suites and Gallery Doubletree. Trying to decide which one to go with. Both seem to have pretty good reviews. Looking for pool, but stuff to walk to or do in case the weather is not hot enough. Originally was going to stay at the Westin Diplomat,in Hollywood, but it is now under new ownership and rate went from $200 to $509 for Dec 19th. We will be taking SAS from hotel to Port of Miami saturday Morning. The cost is the same regardless of the hotel we select. We have two families going, both with teenagers.

Edited by Michigan Cruisers

We are staying in Fort Lauderdale before our cruise on the Breeze out of Miami on December 20th. Have reservations at both the Embassy Suites and Gallery Doubletree. Trying to decide which one to go with. Both seem to have pretty good reviews. Looking for pool, but stuff to walk to or do in case the weather is not hot enough. Originally was going to stay at the Westin Diplomat,in Hollywood, but it is now under new ownership and rate went from $200 to $509 for Dec 19th. We will be taking SAS from hotel to Port of Miami saturday Morning. The cost is the same regardless of the hotel we select. We have two families going, both with teenagers.

December 20th??? That's SANTA CON!!!!!! You must dress up like Santa, Mrs. Santa, and elf, helper, a hot elf, a broken down Santa, etc and brind a donation to Kids In Distress. It's on Las Olas and there are about 20,000 people that attend. Completely family friendly.

http://santaconftl.com/

Stay at the Doubletree.

Thanks for the feedback I think the Doubletree will have more to offer plus its close to the water and the beach. Any restaurants you would recommend?

PF Changs, Seasons 52, Trulucks are all right there at the mall and excellent. You can always hop on the water taxi and eat somewhere on the water or on Las Olas.

I would say it depends on the rates for both hotels. Embassy has a free breakfast and Doubletree does not. However we chose Doubletree because the rate was $120 and Embassy was $269 so the free breakfast at Embassy wasn't worth the high price.

From Doubletree we walked to an Italian restaurant for dinner. I don't remember the name but the front desk recommended it.

The water taxi stop is right there at Doubletree but we did not use it because there were 10 of us and it was $20/pp.

This won't help you but here goes. In October we stayed 2 pre cruise nights at the Doubletree and 2 post cruise nights at Embassy. They are both great hotels, I give the edge to the doubletree for its rooms, but there is nothing really in it. Doubletree is in a great location near the shopping mall if you like shopping and has the water taxi on the doorstep. Breakfast expensive is only downside I can think off and didn't use the pool. Embassy has harbour shops close where you can get the Sun Trolley from (best bargain in Fort lLauderdale. Loved the breakfast and the managers cocktail hour 5.30 to 7.30 and the pool is like a Tropicalal oasis.

For 2015 we have chosen to return to Embassy suites as we got a great rate of $95 and it is closer to airport and port.

This won't help you but here goes. In October we stayed 2 pre cruise nights at the Doubletree and 2 post cruise nights at Embassy. They are both great hotels, I give the edge to the doubletree for its rooms, but there is nothing really in it. Doubletree is in a great location near the shopping mall if you like shopping and has the water taxi on the doorstep. Breakfast expensive is only downside I can think off and didn't use the pool. Embassy has harbour shops close where you can get the Sun Trolley from (best bargain in Fort lLauderdale. Loved the breakfast and the managers cocktail hour 5.30 to 7.30 and the pool is like a Tropicalal oasis.

For 2015 we have chosen to return to Embassy suites as we got a great rate of $95 and it is closer to airport and port.

Bit of a question hijack Jo...do you happen to have an e mail address for the Embassy Suites (not the generic company one, but specific to 17th St.)?

Simon

What do you mean by saying there is nothing in the rooms at Doubletree??? I thought the rooms were very nice.....2 double beds and a living room with a sofa bed and a kitchenette. We thought the rooms were great. I thought all the rooms were like this but maybe you had a different type of room?? Just curious.

I would choose the Doubletree. It's walking distance to the Galleria, Gateway, and beach. Water Taxi stop on premises and on the SunTrolley route to go downtown. About a dozen restaurants within walking distance. The closest favorite of mine is Seasons 52. You can get inexpensive breakfast at the very nice Starbucks across the street or at the Galleria food court bakery. Embassy Suites has a grander lobby and pool.

What do you mean by saying there is nothing in the rooms at Doubletree??? I thought the rooms were very nice.....2 double beds and a living room with a sofa bed and a kitchenette. We thought the rooms were great. I thought all the rooms were like this but maybe you had a different type of room?? Just curious.

Sorry I must have worded my message wrong, I meant that I preferred the rooms at the doubletree but there is nothing really between the hotels for choosing wich one to stayat, both are very good. Just chose Embassy for next time due to proximity to Airport/Port

Jo

Bit of a question hijack Jo...do you happen to have an e mail address for the Embassy Suites (not the generic company one, but specific to 17th St.)?

Simon

Sorry Simon I do not have an email address for Embassy Suites.

Jo

We have stayed at both and much prefer the Gallery One. Love the location next to Galleria Mall, Publix a block away. Water taxi stop at hotel and Sun Trolley stop at the Mall. About 3 blocks across bridge to the beach. Rooms are very nice and the hotel staff is excellent. We just stayed there for the 3rd time in September for 3 nights pre cruise and will stay there again next time we cruise.