it!s the little things that get me

DOJO466

BookedT/A MIA-BCN April 2015 took O air with deviation, settled on flight home (BOS) from BCN on Lufthansa via Franfurt. My choice as I will not do LHR, CDG, NYC etc. All worked well with O air deviation BUT..Luthansa now charges a $35 dollar USD charge per LEG to book your seat in advance. We have 2 Legs..thus $140 to make sure I can sit next to DH on a 3-3-3 configuration. Not happy, nothing we can do. Of course we can avoid the seat charge and just do run of house but I really need DH's shoulder to lie on, on a 8 1/2 hour trip. And yet another crappy airline fee.

BookedT/A MIA-BCN April 2015 took O air with deviation, settled on flight home (BOS) from BCN on Lufthansa via Franfurt. My choice as I will not do LHR, CDG, NYC etc. All worked well with O air deviation BUT..Luthansa now charges a $35 dollar USD charge per LEG to book your seat in advance. We have 2 Legs..thus $140 to make sure I can sit next to DH on a 3-3-3 configuration. Not happy, nothing we can do. Of course we can avoid the seat charge and just do run of house but I really need DH's shoulder to lie on, on a 8 1/2 hour trip. And yet another crappy airline fee.

Deb,

We plan on being on that cruise and look forward to sailing with you again.

Remind me to tell you how to fly in business for free on one of the sea days :)

Then you won't have to worry about the seat reservation fees :D

Deb,

How wonderful that we will be sailing with you again. Haven't seen you on the boards too much. Thought you might have been on a bunch of trips. Yes we will chat for sure

I know what you mean, seems to me when we flew British Airways recently we were charged 50$ for pre book seats?...AirCanada just started charging 25$ for each checked luggage:eek: Air travel is a challenge.

Deb,

OK Paul, share the wealth..you have my email..I am trying NCL October of 15 TA from Venice to Houston..have to fly to Venice from LA...Thanks in advance

Deb, see you in June!!

Jancruz1

I hate it when we can't get seat assignments, but it's unlikely that they would not seat a couple together, especially transatlantic. It will work out!

when we flew air france DH and I were not seated together, even though we asked:(

I hate it when we can't get seat assignments, but it's unlikely that they would not seat a couple together, especially transatlantic. It will work out!

I have been on a transatlantic and was told we would not be seated together. I really don't remember if it was Lufthansa,it just might have been because we have flown them so many times but fortunately we were able to change seats with a most accommodating passenger. So it does happen, thus my dismay. On another route albeit domestic we did not have seats together and No one would change seats.

when we flew air france DH and I were not seated together, even though we asked:(

I have been on a transatlantic and was told we would not be seated together. I really don't remember if it was Lufthansa,it just might have been because we have flown them so many times but fortunately we were able to change seats with a most accommodating passenger. So it does happen, thus my dismay. On another route albeit domestic we did not have seats together and No one would change seats.

Well, all I can say is "wow", and I stand corrected!

While I know that Oceania and Regent have different "Air" departments, I wonder if they operate similarly. When Regent books air for us, they also book seats. We simply go into the airline website and change the seats to ones that we like. We fly British Airways quite a bit (not always through Regent) and do have to either pay for seats in advance or take the chance that we will not be seated together. If any of you are currently booked on a Lufthansa (or British Airways) flight, you may want to check your reservation on their website -- it is possible that you already have seats.

When I was flying from Toronto to Vancouver with my at that time very young children and husband, they had all four of us in seats not even close to each other. It was amazing how fast people moved when they realized they were going to have to sit beside a small child unsupervised. We had booked seats prior to flying, but the airline changed to accommodate others. One lady wasn't going to move until I told her that my son got air sick. She changed with my husband pronto, and yes he did get air sick. I was seated with my daughter about six rows back from them.

In China when we were flying internal flights, it seemed no one got to sit beside their spouse. Fortunately they were short flights.

While I know that Oceania and Regent have different "Air" departments, I wonder if they operate similarly. When Regent books air for us, they also book seats. We simply go into the airline website and change the seats to ones that we like. We fly British Airways quite a bit (not always through Regent) and do have to either pay for seats in advance or take the chance that we will not be seated together. If any of you are currently booked on a Lufthansa (or British Airways) flight, you may want to check your reservation on their website -- it is possible that you already have seats.

I will check on line of course, but was distinctly told by Air dept that they could not book the seats. This change came about in April this year. We always had our seats booked thru O air on Luft, not anymore. You contact them (airline)and pay anytime up to 48 hours prior to flight per leg so I am told.

I will check on line of course, but was distinctly told by Air dept that they could not book the seats. This change came about in April this year. We always had our seats booked thru O air on Luft, not anymore. You contact them (airline)and pay anytime up to 48 hours prior to flight per leg so I am told.

Thanks for the update. Thankfully Regent was able to book seats on BA last week. We haven't flown Lufthansa for a while and will continue to avoid them if possible.

I am currently having major problems with O's air department - colossal clusterfumble. Seat selection is only one of the issues.

Leaving aside the fee for seat selection, when I pay $350 in agency fees I expect the agent to do their job, which includes booking the seats, even if I have to pay the fee. :mad:

O is 0 for 2 on my scoreboard because of the air arrangements. This is probably a deal breaker for future cruises. I hope someone from O is lurking: you really need to fix this problem!

I am currently having major problems with O's air department - colossal clusterfumble. Seat selection is only one of the issues.

Leaving aside the fee for seat selection, when I pay $350 in agency fees I expect the agent to do their job, which includes booking the seats, even if I have to pay the fee. :mad:

O is 0 for 2 on my scoreboard because of the air arrangements. This is probably a deal breaker for future cruises. I hope someone from O is lurking: you really need to fix this problem!

omg -- you are paying for a TA? You should never have to pay for a travel agent when you are booking an Oceania cruise. On top of that, they seem clueless in terms of being able to do business with Oceania. I understand that you are probably stuck this time, but, PLEASE do not use a TA that: 1) charges for their services and; 2) does not regularly book Oceania cruises. You would have done better to book directly with Oceania. I truly hope you are getting a large on board credit from this travel agent.

I do hope that you enjoy your Oceania experience and realize that the entire "colossal clusterfumble" is caused by your TA -- not Oceania.

I found a really top notch TA who does the cruise, the airfare, private planes when I want them, books hotels, tours when I don't want ships ones and I have many other perks. They are around. One has to hunt and find them. I believe that it is very important that they be a top Oceania one and usually they do both, in addition to Crystal and Silversea.

The airlines are charging for everything they can get away with these days

1st it was food, then checked bags, now seats

I just came back from a trip

I booked my own air with A/C ..i did not get to select seats with my low ticket fare but if I wanted to pay in advance I could select my seats

I thought I would wait ..went to check in online last week ..DH & I were sitting in separate rows in middle seats

They had some seats left in their priority seating (another new idea to collect $$)

so $40 pp later we had seats together ...then came the bags fees :eek:

At the airport the flight was oversold ...they were asking for volunteers to take another flight

This is just getting ridiculous flying these days

Cutbacks are happening everywhere

No seats given for our out bound flight next yr thru O

My question: I'm not sure the TA is charging a fee here. It sounds like the usual deviation fee ($350 these days).

I confess that I'm no expert regarding seat selection -- we rarely use O's air (although we have on a few occasions, but not recently). We haven't run into the problem of having to pay an extra fee for seat selection. What a nightmare!

For us, we really don't mind if we have to sit separately as long as we aren't in a middle seat! But as we have gotten older (and we now qualify as OLD) we are traveling more in business class which may avoid this problem. I don't know -- just think it might be.

Mura

It's the little things that get to me as well.

That's why I never sail on a mass market cruise, and I never fly in the cheap seats.

Flying Business or First is often the best part of a cruise.

I saw a Tom Hanks interview where he was asked what is the best thing about being famous.

His reply: "Turning to the left when you board the airplane."

I'm not famous, but that left turn certainly feels good.

Edited by BruceMuzz

omg -- you are paying for a TA? You should never have to pay for a travel agent when you are booking an Oceania cruise. On top of that, they seem clueless in terms of being able to do business with Oceania. I understand that you are probably stuck this time, but, PLEASE do not use a TA that: 1) charges for their services and; 2) does not regularly book Oceania cruises. You would have done better to book directly with Oceania. I truly hope you are getting a large on board credit from this travel agent.

I do hope that you enjoy your Oceania experience and realize that the entire "colossal clusterfumble" is caused by your TA -- not Oceania.

Perhaps when this poster is referring to agency fees, they mean the O deviation fee of $175 p/p? Yet another bothersome fee