Small items for staff?

mak5

Threads like this appear every month or so like a bad penny. Some folks just don't get the message.

Crew members appreciate paper with pictures of dead presidents (i.e. folding money). Favorable comments on surveys are also appreciated. They do not want food, liquor, knick knacks, or other assorted bric-a-brac. Those who insist upon giving these items are just trying to make themselves feel good.

If you say so:rolleyes:

Money makes the world go around

The world go around

The world go around

Money makes the world go around

It makes the world go 'round.

A mark, a yen, a buck, or a pound

A buck or a pound

A buck or a pound

Is all that makes the world go around,

That clinking clanking sound

Can make the world go 'round.

I am inclined to believe that those who try and justify a "cutesy" gift to the staff, rather than simply using cash alone, are not really being generous. Rather, they are trying to "stand out" and seem special.

Yeah, I get it, your room steward was super nice and friendly. He asked you every time he saw you how you were doing, and seemed genuinely interested in your account of your day. Guess what? That's his job! You haven't made some magical connection. And he doesn't want your kinck nacks (especially your maple syrup :eek:). I know, you want to go home and brag to your family and friends about your awesome vacation, and part of the grand plan is to tell about how amazing your room steward was, and the great connection you had.

Get over yourselves and leave them the cash they are working for...

Yes

Thank you for answering my question about giving liquor to crew. :)

Once, 7 days in to a 13-day transatlantic on Vision OTS, I did give my steward something tangible in addition to an extra tip.

Our CC Roll Call had had 100 commemorative lapel pins made up for that ship, that crossing. Before long, they were popping up on lapels everywhere, including the cruise director's.

I had bought an extra one, and left it with my interim tip. My steward seemed genuinely pleased. She could have thrown it away after the sailing. But for that voyage, she was one of the "special CC 100." :D

Where are most of the staff on the Enchantment from? When I travel I like to bring some small gifts from home to give to staff (don't worry, I do tip as well!) to show appreciation for making our trip special.

Does anyone have any ideas of things that the staff might like to have, and not be able to get at home? (We are from Canada)

Thanks for any suggestions.

We bring small snack sized packages of candy. Mini chocolate bars..etc.

Leave them for our room steward. They are small enough that they can throw them in their pockets and eat while cleaning their rooms ;)

We bring magnetic clips. Use that to hang our dailies and stuff up and then leave them for the crew. They love them for hanging their pictures up with.

Greeting cards.. we bring some small generic blank cards. And cards pertaining to the upcoming holidays and anniversary cards.

They can mail these back home to their loved ones.

Kids club we usually bring a few CD's with the latest and greatest current music on them.

Dry erase markers. we use these to exchange funny messages with our room steward on the mirror in the stateroom. Leave those behind as well.

No. Don't bother unless it's cash.

I did give our attendant a bottle of champagne that was left for us since we don't drink. He either threw it out or drank it, which he would have done anyway.

------------------------

Oh, and I second the leaving of the, larger the better, stuffed bear. (Costco)

BcPVjKvCcAAqyAb.jpg

My husband and I usually bring granola bars, nuts, etc. for our excursions. On our last cruise we brought protein bars, granola bars, and little packets of M&M's.

We ended up not using them all and so when we gave our tip to our steward we asked him if he would also like the snacks. He said yes so we gave him a bag of all the goodies.

This had nothing to do at all with the amount we tipped. He seemed to appreciate the gesture. If he did not want the snacks he could have said no and we would not be offended in the least.

So instead of $100 cash he got $100 cash and some protein bars and M&M's.

We would never give trinkets or candy INSTEAD of cash though. We know they are working for cash.

There have been numerous times this question has been asked. If you want, buy a thank you card, write something nice in it, and put cash in it.

Do not assume that everyone will want to eat what you give them.

CASH IS KING!!!

Threads like this appear every month or so like a bad penny. Some folks just don't get the message.

Crew members appreciate paper with pictures of dead presidents (i.e. folding money). Favorable comments on surveys are also appreciated. They do not want food, liquor, knick knacks, or other assorted bric-a-brac. Those who insist upon giving these items are just trying to make themselves feel good.

Or You could think that way because you are too cheap to leave a few chocolates for the crew as well as an nice extra tip. :rolleyes:

It amazes me how many people on these boards know what everyone else thinks. It must be so nice to know everything about everyone.

They probably were.

Nothing wrong with showing a little extra appreciation for the staff in a personal way. One room stewardess commented positivley on the flavor of my wife's chap stick so at a port we bought her one. This had no bearing in the cash we gave at the end of the cruise but she seemed appreciative of the thoughtful gesture and it was not a space hogging trinket. We also gave her an unopened bottle of wine on departure day. She seemed thrilled with that one too lol!

It's not like anyone here thinks op wants to get a wall tapestry instead of a tip, just a little something consumable to go along with cash. Geez. Lighten up people. And yes I have worked many different tip jobs. And yes I have received tips other than cash. It's just someone's way of showing appreciation.

On many occasions I ask our cabin steward if I can get them anything while I am in port. One wanted cashews because she loved them and could not get any on the ship, another asked for a specific brand of chocolate in St. Thomas. When I'm leaving in the morning to get off the ship I say, "Hey, I know you might not be getting off the ship today, I would love to bring you something back, my treat." I have never had anyone say no and it's always a food or drink they might be craving. I never deduct anything from the tip. It's just a nice gesture. I don't usually bring anything from home because I don't know what they want although when my husband worked at Disney we went on an RCCL Christmas cruise and randomly passed out Hershey bars with cash and Pirates of the Caribbean shirts. The next morning a bartender unbuttoned his shirt to show us he had his Pirates shirt on underneath. He was beaming like a kid at Christmas. I will never forget his smile :)

On the last night of our cruises (before the beds are turned down) we leave cash gifts for our housekeeping staff, the usual bottle or two of complimentary wine, a neatly stacked pile of any magazines we read during the cruise and a quick note of thanks.

What they do with the wine or magazines is up to them and we are sure they all know what to do with the cash.

bosco

Or You could think that way because you are too cheap to leave a few chocolates for the crew as well as an nice extra tip. :rolleyes:

It amazes me how many people on these boards know what everyone else thinks. It must be so nice to know everything about everyone.

Ummmmmmmm.:D

Oh, and I second the leaving of the, larger the better, stuffed bear. (Costco)

You know what's weird, I have had two people over the years try to regift this type of bear *in this exact size* to my kids. And I have boys. I don't get it.

Both times, they dragged it up to my front door. And both times, I made them drag it right back to their car. (it was regifted, remember) So odd.

On many occasions I ask our cabin steward if I can get them anything while I am in port. One wanted cashews because she loved them and could not get any on the ship, another asked for a specific brand of chocolate in St. Thomas. When I'm leaving in the morning to get off the ship I say, "Hey, I know you might not be getting off the ship today, I would love to bring you something back, my treat." I have never had anyone say no and it's always a food or drink they might be craving.

That's all fine and good. And if you are so inclined to do that, I think it's great. This is entirely different than the original query about bringing things to give as gifts. You solicit suggestions or requests, and then fulfill them. I assume if the steward said "thank you so much for offering, but I am all set. Please go ashore and enjoy a wonderful day on your vacation", then you would also honor that request and not come back with whatever trinkets or sweets you think he might want.

It's the compulsion to "bring something from my hometown" that seems a bit silly. I'm sure Bud & Mary from Topeka were just super people. But there's no reason the room steward from The Phillipines is going to want a Topeka snowglobe to remember them by....

On many occasions I ask our cabin steward if I can get them anything while I am in port. One wanted cashews because she loved them and could not get any on the ship, another asked for a specific brand of chocolate in St. Thomas. When I'm leaving in the morning to get off the ship I say, "Hey, I know you might not be getting off the ship today, I would love to bring you something back, my treat." I have never had anyone say no and it's always a food or drink they might be craving. I never deduct anything from the tip. It's just a nice gesture. I don't usually bring anything from home because I don't know what they want although when my husband worked at Disney we went on an RCCL Christmas cruise and randomly passed out Hershey bars with cash and Pirates of the Caribbean shirts. The next morning a bartender unbuttoned his shirt to show us he had his Pirates shirt on underneath. He was beaming like a kid at Christmas. I will never forget his smile :)

Yep! Maybe because we are younger we are more approachable. We have done the same thing, ask if they want anything from a pharmacy; snack or toiletry item. Would never dream to take their money or deduct a tip. Just being nice and personable with the person looking after us. I think a lot of people in this thread don't understand and think we knit these people sweaters and then deny them money or something absurd

That's all fine and good. And if you are so inclined to do that, I think it's great. This is entirely different than the original query about bringing things to give as gifts. You solicit suggestions or requests, and then fulfill them. I assume if the steward said "thank you so much for offering, but I am all set. Please go ashore and enjoy a wonderful day on your vacation", then you would also honor that request and not come back with whatever trinkets or sweets you think he might want.

It's the compulsion to "bring something from my hometown" that seems a bit silly. I'm sure Bud & Mary from Topeka were just super people. But there's no reason the room steward from The Phillipines is going to want a Topeka snowglobe to remember them by....

I agree with this viewpoint.

The only thing I have ever wished I had with me to give a crew member was cold meds. Once we met a crew member in the kids club who had a cold and said she couldn't wait to get off at the next port to get some cold meds. Having to work while feeling cruddy is no fun.

This time I will probably bring thank you cards and have the kids draw a picture on them with cash in them. (and bring extra cold meds just in case ):o

The teddy bear comment really did make me laugh though :D

I tend not to bring or consider it necessary to bring gifts to someone I don't know yet or have no knowledge of what they might like or not like....JMHO.

However we usually get a few D+ (food) perks left in our cabin which we often give to our cabin steward...they've always appreciated and enjoyed these extra snacks.

This is a very personal thing, and whatever anyone decides to give staff in addition to tips is nice and thoughtful.

However, I look at it like this. Seriously, especially if you don't have lots of money - at your job, do you want the boss to give you a bonus of teddy bears, chocolate, phone cards, or cash?

I say cash is king.

You could look up some cute origami folding techniques and fold the paper MONEY into cute shapes! You still show the staff member that you were thinking of them and appreciate them, but they get what they really want and need - cash! Sounds like a win/win to me!

This link will actually show you how to fold dollar bills into cute shapes!

http://www.origami-instructions.com/dollar-bill-origami.html

Edited by cello56

I tend not to bring or consider it necessary to bring gifts to someone I don't know yet or have no knowledge of what they might like or not like....JMHO.

However we usually get a few D+ (food) perks left in our cabin which we often give to our cabin steward...they've always appreciated and enjoyed these extra snacks.

I think it's great if they enjoy them but I have to say we hate the food gifts we get as D+ and Diamond was even worse, dried fruit mix and lime cookies...every darn time...yuck.

....we usually get a few D+ (food) perks left in our cabin which we often give to our cabin steward...they've always appreciated and enjoyed these extra snacks.

How sweet of you...to give something which cost you nothing, and was delivered to your cabin by the steward....!!:confused: