no invites to loyalty events

Tennessee Titan

A bit OT: Funny you should say that. I used to work here in California with a woman originally from England. Someone once assumed that she wanted tea to drink, and her response was "I hate tea--I swill coffee like an American".

I think the world is divided into either tea OR coffee drinkers, most people I know only drink either one but not both:)

I think the world is divided into either tea OR coffee drinkers, most people I know only drink either one but not both:)

I guess I really am an exception to the rule then.:D I am a mid-morning coffee person, afternoon tea and coffee after dinner. It works out pretty equal in my case, each day.

Just returned from Nieuw Amsterdam Collector. Found out that when you attend the Mariner Award ceremony/ lunch on the first segment, you are not invited to the second segment. No notice, no details no apology. As a 4 star Mariner, I have always been invited in the past. A real slap in the face insult to Hal's most loyal guests.

Just cancelled my future cruise booking, and am going to look elsewhere...

As 4-stars working our way up to 5-stars, Mr Chew & I have attended some of the special events & skipped others ... it's no big deal to us. I can't imagine canceling a cruise over something like this ...

On my very first cruise on HAL, I was invited to attend the Mariners Luncheon and received a tile just like everyone else. The other people at my table sat & literally gasped in disbelief that I had been invited. One of them wanted to see my invitation to make sure it was legitimate. I just held it up and said "it's as good as yours." When the Beverage Manager came over to me and said "oh I'm so glad you could make it" I just smiled at the other lady across the table.

While recognition is very nice, and I do appreciate it when it comes my way, I think there are some people who take it a little too seriously. (Not singling out anyone on the HAL forums, it happens on all of them) ...

This is vacation time, not saving the world ...

Being a four star Mariner, I'm delighted to get the perks, & have never had a bad cruise... We enjoy HAL & their wonderful crews'..

I also can't understand why anyone would cancel a cruise because they were not invited to a second luncheon & when asking about it, may have been blown off by the answer.. :confused:

If someone was rude to me, I might report it to his/her superior, or even write a letter to HAL if it was serious enough, but would never say I will not cruise on this line again.. That to me would be like the old sayings "Cutting off the nose to spite the face!" or "Burning ones Bridges"

[quote name='serendipity1499'][SIZE="3"]Being a four star Mariner, I'm delighted to get the perks, & have never had a bad cruise... We enjoy HAL & their wonderful crews'..

I also can't understand why anyone would cancel a cruise because they were not invited to a second luncheon & when asking about it, may have been blown off by the answer.. :confused:

If someone was rude to me, I might report it to his/her superior, or even write a letter to HAL if it was serious enough, but would never say I will not cruise on this line again.. That to me would be like the old sayings "Cutting off the nose to spite the face!" or "Burning ones Bridges" [/SIZE][/QUOTE]
People have different breaking points. Why would you make that call for someone else?

[quote name='Tennessee Titan']We did our reviews today. Severely criticized the Front Office, this policy, and how it was handled. We will see if there is any response at all......[/QUOTE]

[B] By reviews, do you mean the e-mail post cruise survey HAL sends?
I hope, if that is what you are referencing, what you wrote is read and you receive an appropriate response. Please let us know.

[/B]

[quote name='Tennessee Titan']4* Silver Medallion
WOW! Thanks to all who replied. I am amazed at the response!

The whole story. No invite to 2nd Mariner ceremony/lunch. No notice/explanation/apology. I then cancelled my future cruise, with explanation. Future Cruise Consultant immediately ran to GRM, who called me. I was so pissed at that point that I blew her off. [/quote]
To paraphrase, you took one Collector's Cruise and were invited to one Mariner's brunch, not what you are used to, but what the Mariner program offers. Sounds fair enough to me. You were vexed at not being invited, cancelled a cruise and then blew off the the GRM. You were then vexed that the front desk followed their orders and the GRM did not come crawling to you after the blow off. I hope you are happy elsewhere.

[quote name='cruz chic']People have different breaking points. Why would you make that call for someone else?[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"] Why are you assuming that I'm making a call for someone else?
I would do no such thing!

I did say that I don't understand it & also stated I would never cancel a cruise because it was handled incorrectly.. Obviously by posting the OP either wanted our opinions or our validation of the way he handled it, which I could not abide.. I don't think he posted it just to blast HAL's Front Office..

And I gave my opinion,which I'm entitled to, just as you are entitled to your opinion.. [/SIZE]

[quote name='Tennessee Titan']4* Silver Medallion
WOW! Thanks to all who replied. I am amazed at the response!

The whole story. No invite to 2nd Mariner ceremony/lunch. No notice/explanation/apology. I then cancelled my future cruise, with explanation. Future Cruise Consultant immediately ran to GRM, who called me. I was so pissed at that point that I blew her off. Later that day, went to front desk to ask why. They said (paraphrasing) "Our guidelines say no invite to 2nd set of loyalty affairs". Thisa was OK. What got me was the cold way it was handled: No little note explaining why, no apology, nothing...
That is no way to treat your most loyal customers!
Before the cruise ended, when I had cooled down, I made another attempt to tahl to the GRM and apologise for my earlier behavior. The front desk said I had to tell them what the subject of my discussion was. I refused. GRM or desk never called back...
End of story.
I guess we were about cruised out anyway, and all this aggrevation was a good excuse to bail...[/QUOTE]

All I can say is that you guys are certainly not a pair that I would want to share a table with on a cruise.

DON

[quote name='Juanita462']Pathfineress

the captain was PJ van Maurik

think that is the spelling - but a fine gentleman who put on an exceptional
lunch for medallion mariners.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Thanks Juanita, we have cruise with this Captain many times and I would expect nothing less from him. As you said he is a fine gentleman and he knows how to treat Hal's loyal mariners.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Sometimes you have to let certain things go. The trick is knowing what to let go and when to let go. This one is well past it's best before sell date.

Definitely in the don't sweat the small stuff category. Edited by iancal

[quote name='PathfinderEss'][SIZE="4"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Thanks Juanita, we have cruise with this Captain many times and I would expect nothing less from him. As you said he is a fine gentleman and he knows how to treat Hal's loyal mariners.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I'll second that absolutely!

[quote name='Tennessee Titan']See it is still open.
Still no response from HAL on either mine or my wife's evaluation survey...
I DID get the stock "Thank you for cruising" with attendant future cruise shipboard credit.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, it does take time for those answers to come. I do hope you get one that you find satisfactory.

[B]That must get a flood of e-mails weekly and no matter how big their staff, it has to take time to read, investigate and respond to them all. Hopefully, given an adequate amount of time, you will receive a satisfactory response.
[/B]

[quote name='whogo']Does Holland America respond to online surveys?[/QUOTE]

yes, you get a reply and a request to submit to guest services (If I recall correctly) to submit there if you have other issues.

I may have misunderstood, but I think that the OP has done that. Edited by kazu

[quote name='michmike2']OV Girl - You may be right that they can't manage to invite ALL Mariners.. but when you get up to 200 plus days on HAL I think you need to give those folks every perk you can. Contrast the cost of doing that with what HAL will lose if OP does go elsewhere for his or her next cruise(s).[/quote]

Did a back to back on another line last winter....got double everything and felt like royalty in an inside cabin. As someone said, penny wise and pound foolish to alienate the most faithful customers.