Military Service medals at Formal nights

Sailaway John

What do people think of the wearing of your Military Service Ribbons or Minature Medals to the ship's formal nights. I have seen some passengers wearing their medals (Minature) to these functions. Is it appropriate or not. If it is appropriate I may wear mine on my next cruise.

• Like 1

What do people think of the wearing of your Military Service Ribbons or Minature Medals to the ship's formal nights. I have seen some passengers wearing their medals (Minature) to these functions. Is it appropriate or not. If it is appropriate I may wear mine on my next cruise.

Totally appropriate if in military dress. I think people should not wear them when in civil dress. Just MHO.

Theo

Totally agree - you earned them and you should wear them. I would hope that everyone would take a moment to reflect and recognize your service, especially on the formal evenings.

Personally I would encourage you to wear them whether in uniform or with civilian attire on a formal night.

Just my thoughts. In the past both myself and those we cruise with have worn our dress uniform and it was a resounding positive experience. While we have never worn the minatures with formal wear, I see it as a great idea. Go for it.

John,

Who doesn't love a man or woman in dress uniform? You should definitely wear your dress uniform and medals.

Last year we were on a cruise during Armistice/Veteran's day and it was wonderful! Lots of folks wearing red poppies they'd purchased at the Purser's Desk (funds going to a veteran organization) and we participated in the Armistice/Veteran's ceremony complete with trumpeter. After the ceremony we followed Ship's Officers outside where a wreath of white flowers was lowered to the water and sent adrift in the Caribbean. It was a very moving ceremony.

• Like 1

All Military Services Uniform Regulations states that you are authorized to wear Awarded Medals on civilian clothes with a suggestion to wear at Formal Ceremony and Social Functions, especially at Military themed events. THANKS for your service and today it is especially meaningful.

• Like 2

Actually Army Reg 670-1 states that retirees can only wear their uniform under certain situations:

While attending military funerals, memorial services, weddings, inaugurals, and other occasions of ceremony.

While attending parades on national or state holidays, or other patriotic parades or ceremonies in which any active or reserve United States military unit is taking part.

I would really like to wear my Army Mess Dress uniform with its associated miniature medals on ship, but the regulation does not allow it; and also because I can not get the trousers to fasten at the waist anymore. Must be shrinkage of the fabric.

• Haha 2

I would really like to wear my Army Mess Dress uniform with its associated miniature medals on ship, but the regulation does not allow it; and also because I can not get the trousers to fasten at the waist anymore. Must be shrinkage of the fabric.

Same thing happened with my Marine Corps dress blues.. :D

• Haha 1

Actually Army Reg 670-1 states that retirees can only wear their uniform under certain situations:

While attending military funerals, memorial services, weddings, inaugurals, and other occasions of ceremony.

While attending parades on national or state holidays, or other patriotic parades or ceremonies in which any active or reserve United States military unit is taking part.

Same thing happened with my Marine Corps dress blues.. :D

This is not a rare occurrence it's caused by being hung in a dark closet for to long a period.:D Some people try to blame it on overeating or lack of excerise but, I know from personal experience this isn't true.:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

From 670-1

22–8. Miniature decorations and service medals

a. Miniature medals are replicas of regular-sized medals (made to a scale of one-half the size of the original).

Except for the Medal of Honor, for which there is no miniature, only miniature decorations and service medals are

authorized for wear on the mess and evening mess uniforms. Personnel will not wear full-sized medals, service and

training ribbons, or U.S. and foreign unit award emblems with miniature medals. Only the dress miniature-sized

combat and special skill badges are worn with miniature medals.

b. Miniature decorations and service medals are authorized for wear on the following uniforms:

(1) Male personnel. On formal dress and mess uniforms; and on the left lapel of formal civilian attire, when wearing

Army uniforms are inappropriate or not authorized.

(2) Female personnel. On formal dress and mess uniforms; and on the left lapel of formal civilian attire, when

wearing Army uniforms are inappropriate or not authorized.

My respect and sincere thanks for your service. If it is ok with the rules of your regiment, I would say follow your heart and wear them. I know my dad always has something special in his eye when as he puts them on and I have the upmost respect for that. Special taught and prayer for you on this day.

• Like 1

I wear my medals when in Scottish attire, with Regulation Doublet (formal wear - white tie). I do not wear them when in tuxedo (evening wear - black tie). Never heard anything less than positive over 20 cruises.

Of course they would be appropriate when in mess dress uniform (miniatures, of course).

Edited by UpcountryTravelers

It totally appropriate to wear the Service Medal you have been awarded, however, I agree with other post, you should wear them on formal nights not just in civilian cloths.

• Like 1

My personal thoughts it should only be done on a significant historical date of remembrance. At other times it is blatant self promotion.

Some countries have strict rules about the wearing of them and also service uniforms. In Australia you are forbidden to wear a military uniform unless you are representing the service you are in on an official capacity. It is also a criminal offence to wear the uniform when you are discharged and you can be charged with impersonation even though you used to be a member. I believe it is the same rules for Britain as it is here in Australia.

America I believe the rules are somewhat different and I am guessing it is a traditional thing to wear the service uniform as a mark of respect to the nation.

As far as medals go the only time they should be worn is on full dress uniform or if it is a significant historical date.

My personal thoughts it should only be done on a significant historical date of remembrance. At other times it is blatant self promotion.

Some countries have strict rules about the wearing of them and also service uniforms. In Australia you are forbidden to wear a military uniform unless you are representing the service you are in on an official capacity. It is also a criminal offence to wear the uniform when you are discharged and you can be charged with impersonation even though you used to be a member. I believe it is the same rules for Britain as it is here in Australia.

America I believe the rules are somewhat different and I am guessing it is a traditional thing to wear the service uniform as a mark of respect to the nation.

As far as medals go the only time they should be worn is on full dress uniform or if it is a significant historical date.

They are not talking about wearing uniforms. As one person indicated there are limits when a retiree can wear a uniform. US Army regulations do allow for the wearing of medals (miniature) with formal civilian dress when uniforms are not appropriate or authorized, which for a retiree is pretty much all of the time. As such it would appear that a retiree is within the rules for the US military to wear miniature medals with civilian formal attire.

The exact quidelines are branch of military specific. For example the US Air Force rules say Retired and honorably discharged Air Force members may wear full-size or miniature medals on civilian suits on the appropriate occasions such as Memorial Day and Armed Forces Day. Female members may wear full-size or miniature medals on equivalent dress.

Of course it does not list all of what is considered to be appropriate occasions, only listing the two examples.

Edited by RDC1