Military Service medals at Formal nights

Sailaway John

Hi All

My view is that on formal evening if past or serving personal want to wear medals then it is their choice, l did cruise with a Major who had full uniform with him in that he wanted pictures of his wife with him before he returned to duty after the cruise.

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

My personal thoughts it should only be done on a significant historical date of remembrance. At other times it is blatant self promotion.

I don't mind the self promotion of someone who risked their life for my freedom. They have a valid reason to be proud of their accomplishments.

• Like 2

Both my husband and myself have medals and would never wear them in civilian dress, smacks (in my opinion) of 'Look at me'. We actually play the 'lets see who has their medals on' game on formal nights. Medals are for uniforms or Remembrance Day events, not formal night.

I have seen several people and I think they look sharp!

If you want to do it, go for it! Be prepared to get (positive) attention.

Amen on the positive attention. We took my youngest son, who was active duty Marines, on a cruise some time back. On dress nights he wore his blue dress uniform, which to me is a show stopper on just about everyone that has ever worn it. During dinner, people continuously stopped at the table to chat with him and then later at the clubs people bought him drinks all night. Thanks to all the men and women that have served their country in the armed forces!

• Like 2

Both my husband and myself have medals and would never wear them in civilian dress, smacks (in my opinion) of 'Look at me'. We actually play the 'lets see who has their medals on' game on formal nights. Medals are for uniforms or Remembrance Day events, not formal night.

A mate of mine who was once in the RAF recently emigrated to Canada. He commented on Facebook the other day that the Rememberance Service in Calgary was well attended and respectfully done. Cue loads of people thanking him for his service which he gratefully accepted. He always turns out in full uniform for Rememberance Day. And weddings. And funerals. His job in the RAF? Ground vehicle maintenance, and his contribution to our freedom (which is not under threat) was oil changes to Land Rovers in Lincolnshire, North Wales, Alberta and a couple of months in Germany.

My personal thoughts it should only be done on a significant historical date of remembrance. At other times it is blatant self promotion.

Right on....my wife and I are both US Army veteran's and would never think of wearing medals on a formal night on a cruise.....we would wear them on days or events that specifically honor those who have served.....

Thanks for all the positive comments.

I will wear them next cruise.

if i am on the same ship with you i would be honored to by you a drink…thank you for your service to our country. have safe journey.

• Like 2

I don't mind the self promotion of someone who risked their life for my freedom. They have a valid reason to be proud of their accomplishments.

What I tend to admire is the modesty of WWII veterans these days. Their medals only ever come out of special occasions and dates of significance. Since WWII I can honestly say that there has never been a war that matches its horrors and toll on humanity and the sacrifice that people took.

I have been on many cruises where I have found out many passengers were WWII veterans. They seem to lead by example on this. You never see them flaunting their medals ever. Personally I would never dare put mine on in the face of a WWII veteran that does not have theirs on.

This line of thinking is probably due to my military service. Even medals there where were times and places that they could only be worn. The large medals rarely made an appearance. Most occasions it was just ribbons. If you were in non dress/formal uniform then it was no medals or ribbons at all.

The following is extracted from AR 670-1 as revised in September 2014. It applies to retired and former U.S. Army personnel only.

23–6. Medals on civilian clothes Retired personnel and former members of the Army (as described above) may wear all categories of medals described in this regulation on appropriate civilian clothing. This includes clothes designed for veteran and patriotic organizations on Veteran’s Day, Memorial Day, and Armed Forces Day, as well as at formal occasions of ceremony and social functions of a military nature. Personnel may wear either full-sized or miniature medals. Personnel who wear medals on civilian clothes should place the medals on the clothing in approximately the same location and in the same manner as for the Army uniform, so they look similar to medals worn on the Army uniform.

• Like 1

I don't wear my military medals. I do, on some formal occasions, wear a lapel pin that represents a medal I received as a civilian, from a civilian agency (the National Science Foundation), the Antarctic Service medal.

Edited by RDC1

What do people think of the wearing of your Military Service Ribbons or Minature Medals to the ship's formal nights. I have seen some passengers wearing their medals (Minature) to these functions. Is it appropriate or not. If it is appropriate I may wear mine on my next cruise.

I appreciate knowing who has served in our military. The ribbons/small medals & uniform are a great way to strike up a conversation...or to say a brief "thanks.". :)

My father served 2 years in the Army then transferred to the Army Reserve for 9 years. He is pleased that Princess recognizes veterans all year long with the OBC. This perk isn't the reason my parents continue to enjoy Princess.

My dad lets my mom have fun with the $150. The Army "ruined" their wedding & honeymoon plans. The 2 week Reserve schedule wasn't posted until well into wedding & honeymoom plans.

That was 51 yrs ago...but the Army still "owes" them (mostly my mom) a trip to Paris!!

And what woman doesn't like to see a man in uniform!!

Go big or eat at the HC on formal night!

• Like 1

I would much rather see your medals than all the pinnacle and diamond pins that mean absolutely nothing more than you have spent money on vacations. Be proud of those medals, you have earned them.

There is also a thriving market now where people are just able to buy fake military medals off of the internet and wear them. How do you know they are the real deal? A number of high profile people have been caught embellishing their supposedly military accomplishments. I would suspect nobody on a Princess ship would embellish anything?

There is also a thriving market now where people are just able to buy fake military medals off of the internet and wear them. How do you know they are the real deal? A number of high profile people have been caught embellishing their supposedly military accomplishments. I would suspect nobody on a Princess ship would embellish anything?

Wearing a US military decoration that you have not earned is in violation of US federal law and is actively prosecuted. It is a worthwhile activity to find and report such fakes.

I will often chat with someone that I see wearing a medal (ones that take something to be earned, not the majority which are unit, location served, etc. types) that is clearly not currently active duty. In the conversation I will ask about the medal and see if the response is consistent with someone having earned it. So far I have not run across any that came across as being fake. The high profile folks have something to gain by the embellishment, some on a cruise ship usually not. Most wear what they have earned, but do not bring up the topic or say look at this. Most wear them because they were earned and they have a degree of pride in their service.

• Like 2

Exactly.

(shaking my head at the "self promotion" comment) :rolleyes:

On a recent cruise I saw this old guy wearing his German Iron Cross and SS medals on his suit. That was pretty cool.:cool:

Edited by Kingofcool1947

DW and I delight to see full dress on formal nights and indeed nice dress on other nights in the main dinning rooms. Medals yes, I wear the "Black Watch" cummerbund and so as to indicate my firm belief a small cross in my lapel. Just a sign of adult niceties. Use it or lose it is our motto, as all around us we see ignorance abounding.

• Like 1

Do you have a cite for US Code? Thanks.

I'm not the poster and don't have the US Code citation but here's a recent news article: http://www.stripes.com/news/report-court-rules-wearing-unearned-medals-a-crime-1.311205

The article is very confusing. I'm not sure whether wearing unearned medals is still a crime in the US or not.

Edited by beg3yrs

I'm not the poster and don't have the US Code citation but here's a recent news article: http://www.stripes.com/news/report-court-rules-wearing-unearned-medals-a-crime-1.311205

The article is very confusing. I'm not sure whether wearing unearned medals is still a crime in the US or not.

You actually have different laws in place. You have the original Stolen Valor law of 2005. The Act made it illegal for unauthorized persons to wear, buy, sell, barter, trade, or manufacture "any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the armed forces of the United States, or any of the service medals or badges awarded to the members of such forces." In the 18 months after the act was enacted, the Chicago Tribune estimated there were twenty prosecutions. The number increased as awareness of the law spread.

In 2012 a portion of that law was over turned by the courts basically saying that it violated the right to free speech. Now that was replaced by the Stolen Valor act of 2013 that specifically made it against the law when done for financial gain.

The article you referenced is a recent court case that deal specifically with wearing the medals, not just claiming that one was awarded them, and that the 2005 law is still applicable in that case because wearing them is conduct, not free speech.

So you can claim that you have won a medal in conversation or in writing. In that case you can only be prosecuted if you are doing it for financial gain.

But when it comes to wearing them you can be prosecuted just for wearing a medal that you were not awarded.

Thanks, that was interesting.

It sounds to me like one can wear a medal on a lark,

but cannot claim to have earned a medal for financial

gain (such as securing a job).

Thanks, that was interesting.

It sounds to me like one can wear a medal on a lark,

but cannot claim to have earned a medal for financial

gain (such as securing a job).

No, they can claim that they have been awarded one on a lark because that is free speech. But the second they wear one that is not earned, that is conduct (not free speech) and the law applies and can be prosecuted as the referenced court case indicated.

The for financial gain applies to speech which would make even the act of claiming having been awarded an event for which they can be prosecuted.

• 7 years later...

Resurrecting this topic....

I am cruising to Alaska over July 4th, an at sea day and likely a formal night (2nd night of cruise).  The VA is encouraging veteran's to where their medals - "On significant holidays", such as Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, etc. 

I am considering wearing my miniature medals with my civilian formal attire. I normally wouldn't, but as the cruise is primarily in US waters, thinking it would be OK.  However, wondering how people will react, as I'm female.  I sometimes get people looking at me funny when I where my veteran's ball cap, and some ask if my husband is the veteran.  Even had a reporter at the WWII Memorial ask my husband if he was a vet, only to have her walk away when he said "no", ignoring me completely.  

What are your thoughts?  Ever seen a female vet where her medals? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1