Military Service medals at Formal nights

Sailaway John

59 minutes ago, BabySarge said:

Wear them, hold your head high, and walk tall.  You earned those!! 

The only reason I don't wear my medals is because I have never been able to figure out how to do so on the specific types of evening gowns/material I wear.   As stated, it's easy for the gentlemen as they wear tuxedos, dinner jackets, or suits with jackets but with a gown or even fancy blouse and long skirt the material is so much thinner and less structured.

The website I found, www.medalsofamerica.com have the miniature ribbons just like the full sized ones but instead of pin on you can get magnetic. haven't looked to see if they can do the same with the mini medals.

You can definitely get the mini medals with magnets. No, strike that. You might be able to get them with magnets. DH has the mini ribbons strip with magnets, not the mini medals, so that might make a difference. And the magnets are STRONG.  They will stick to things that you might not want them to. 

1 minute ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

You can definitely get the mini medals with magnets. No, strike that. You might be able to get them with magnets. DH has the mini ribbons strip with magnets, not the mini medals, so that might make a difference. And the magnets are STRONG.  They will stick to things that you might not want them to. 

I just looked again, looks like they put the medals on racks like the ribbons. Doesn't say anything about magnets for the medals thought. And it can get really expensive if you have a lot of medals 🤣

35 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to stir the pot... or in this case, the teapot.

Not stirring anything.  A question was asked, and I answered it.   Sorry if it's not the answer you like.

I don't think you can compare serving one's county to running a 5K or 10K, or even a full marathon if you'd been inclined to do so.

Of course not.  You want to be "special".  You want your thing that you are proud of to be more special than everyone else's.   I'm sorry, but if the cruise degenerates into a bunch of high school kids wearing their letter jackets, trying to impress people they don't even know with patches showing how they're better than everyone else, that makes me look down on them--not up.   You want a special case for only military medals.

Whether or not someone wears medals to "beat the Joneses'" is nothing you could possibly

Condescending.  Thus I stand by what I said all the more.   Perhaps you don't understand what a fashion statement is:  it is not about what is going on in YOUR head.  It is what is going through everyone else's heads when they see what you want everybody to see.   You look down on people like that, and that makes me look down on you.  Not up.

know, since you can't get into anyone's head other than your own, so pfft! on that opinion, which is all it is.

Likewise.

Regarding "disgusting ways", there is no US military medal that I am aware of that is offered for this type of conduct.

Correction:  no type of US military medal that SHOULD be offered for murderous conduct.  There is plenty of controversy out there about that.   At least when I earned my medals--which I am not even showing off on any cruise--the way I earned them is very simple:   there is a stopwatch.  The stopwatch stopped before everyone else's did.

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, tetleytea said:

Since the question was asked....

I generally frown on wearing anything that is not egalitarian.  It's a cruise--you're with a bunch of people you don't know.  I'm not a fan of the different-colored medallions--and I'm not a fan of wearing medals.  I earned my medals running 5k and 10k, too, and after the race i would wear those; but I certainly wouldn't pack them on a cruise.   Second, people from other nationalities are on cruises.  Do they wear their medals, too?  People can earn their medals in pretty disgusting ways in other countries' militaries.  And arguably it happens in the U.S., too.   I'm not against people making fashion statements, but beat-the-Joneses is not one of them.   This falls in that category.

I consider that there is substantial difference between medals earned for running a 5 or 10 k and medals earned as a result of military or civilian service.  Though from what you are saying I am surprised that you did not try and include elementary school gold stars in your attempt at equivalency.

Just now, ldtr said:

I consider that there is substantial difference between medals earned for running a 5 or 10 k and medals earned as a result of military or civilian service.  Though from what you are saying I am surprised that you did not try and include elementary school gold stars in your attempt at equivalency.

Okay--I include elementary school gold stars as equivalent.

Are we good?

8 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

Not stirring anything.  A question was asked, and I answered it.   Sorry if it's not the answer you like.

Of course not.  You want to be "special".  You want your thing that you are proud of to be more special than everyone else's.   I'm sorry, but if the cruise degenerates into a bunch of high school kids wearing their letter jackets, trying to impress people they don't even know with patches showing how they're better than everyone else, that makes me look down on them--not up.   You want a special case for only military medals.

Condescending.  Thus I stand by what I said all the more.   Perhaps you don't understand what a fashion statement is:  it is not about what is going on in YOUR head.  It is what is going through everyone else's heads when they see what you want everybody to see.   You look down on people like that, and that makes me look down on you.  Not up.

Likewise.

Correction:  no type of US military medal that SHOULD be offered for murderous conduct.  There is plenty of controversy out there about that.   At least when I earned my medals--which I am not even showing off on any cruise--the way I earned them is very simple:   there is a stopwatch.  The stopwatch stopped before everyone else's did.

I am not military.... I don't have a special "thing" as you call it, but there is no need for you to disparage others.  Everything people wear, especially on formal night, can be deemed "special" if you're going to define it that way.  Why not disparage jewelry? Some is more expensive than others, is that supposed to state that the wearer is better than everyone else?  How about designer gowns, are those condescending too?  Perhaps you'd prefer a dress code that requires identical uniform gowns and tuxes to ensure everything is "egalitarian" as you prefer?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

it's to start a conversation with hopefully like minded people - rehash old times perhaps

i wear my VOL hat proudly - even in the years we were getting our asses kicked by most other schools. Sometimes the conversation is good, sometimes not so much

not a thread hijack, if so, please delete

• Like 3

On 11/17/2014 at 3:00 PM, Aquahound said:

Exactly.

(shaking my head at the "self promotion" comment) :rolleyes:

Agree.
Just because one does not have medals does not mean that those who do, and wear them are "self promoting".  

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 1:02 PM, LCW said:

Resurrecting this topic....

I am cruising to Alaska over July 4th, an at sea day and likely a formal night (2nd night of cruise).  The VA is encouraging veteran's to where their medals - "On significant holidays", such as Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, etc. 

I am considering wearing my miniature medals with my civilian formal attire. I normally wouldn't, but as the cruise is primarily in US waters, thinking it would be OK.  However, wondering how people will react, as I'm female.  I sometimes get people looking at me funny when I where my veteran's ball cap, and some ask if my husband is the veteran.  Even had a reporter at the WWII Memorial ask my husband if he was a vet, only to have her walk away when he said "no", ignoring me completely.  

What are your thoughts?  Ever seen a female vet where her medals? 

No, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't wear them proudly!
You go girl!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to stir the pot... or in this case, the teapot.

I don't think you can compare serving one's county to running a 5K or 10K, or even a full marathon if you'd been inclined to do so.

As for a fashion statement, there are no designer uniforms or medals... although it is rumored that Hugo Boss designed some SS uniforms, I do not believe that has been verified.  Nowhere on any runway or fashion publication have medals been declared "fashionable" as wearing them has rules as to who can wear them and in what manner.

Whether or not someone wears medals to "beat the Joneses'" is nothing you could possibly know, since you can't get into anyone's head other than your own, so pfft! on that opinion, which is all it is.

Regarding "disgusting ways", there is no US military medal that I am aware of that is offered for this type of conduct.

Amen!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

I am not military.... I don't have a special "thing" as you call it, but there is no need for you to disparage others.  Everything people wear, especially on formal night, can be deemed "special" if you're going to define it that way.  Why not disparage jewelry? Some is more expensive than others, is that supposed to state that the wearer is better than everyone else?  How about designer gowns, are those condescending too?  Perhaps you'd prefer a dress code that requires identical uniform gowns and tuxes to ensure everything is "egalitarian" as you prefer?

It's a formal night.  Wearing formal stuff on a formal night does not disparage others.   The question was asked whether you should wear your military medals on a cruise.  I say, you are certainly free to.  But don't expect me to look up to you for it.   If, however, you reach out to the waiting staff and crew on a formal night, get to know their lives, and try to make their job easier--then I am impressed.

5 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

It's a formal night.  Wearing formal stuff on a formal night does not disparage others.   The question was asked whether you should wear your military medals on a cruise.  I say, you are certainly free to.  But don't expect me to look up to you for it.   If, however, you reach out to the waiting staff and crew on a formal night, get to know their lives, and try to make their job easier--then I am impressed.

Thank you for letting us all know what impresses you.... so to everyone wearing medals, please make sure you reach out to the crew in order to cancel out the effect of wearing them, although I think most passengers do anyway.

Edited by vjmatty
  • Like 5

BTW, I have never earned a "letter" but if a bunch of guys in their Letter Jackets In place of dinner jackets showed up on formal night I would think that would be fun! 
No comparison to uniforms and medals but every one should wear what looks good, is appropriate to occasion, fits the guidelines and have a great time.  I don't get the "looking down" on anyone. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Agree.
Just because one does not have medals does not mean that those who do and wear them are "self promoting".  

I'm sorry, but if you went to all the trouble to pack a medal on a cruise and wear it for people whom you don't know to see, then sure it is.   That's exactly what it is, that's how it comes across.  Whether male or female.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tetleytea said:

I'm sorry, but if you went to all the trouble to pack a medal on a cruise and wear it for people whom you don't know to see, then sure it is.   That's exactly what it is, that's how it comes across.  Whether male or female.

LOL how heavy do you think they are?  Hubby packs more weight in all of his cufflinks!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, suzyed said:

BTW, I have never earned a "letter" but if a bunch of guys in their Letter Jackets In place of dinner jackets showed up on formal night I would think that would be fun! 
No comparison to uniforms and medals but every one should wear what looks good, is appropriate to occasion, fits the guidelines and have a great time.  I don't get the "looking down" on anyone. 

I have a letter jacket, but it is for Masque and Mime which is my HS drama club... unfortunately I am not sure if it would fit lol

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

Just understand that there are plenty of people around the world that do not admire the fact that the USA has been involved in wars for about 225 years since it's inception in 1776.

And there are a bunch of countries (collectively known as Europe) that are very thankful for the wars we fought!!  

• Like 8

5 hours ago, tetleytea said:

Since the question was asked....

I generally frown on wearing anything that is not egalitarian. 

Well, as long you as don’t show up on a cruise in better shape than me because of all those races you’ve won…because that wouldn’t be egalitarian at all. And it might make me that you had achieved something I hadn’t.  Just like those nasty Elite medallions. No, that wouldn’t be good at all. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, tetleytea said:

[quote]LOL how heavy do you think they are?  Hubby packs more weight in all of his cufflinks![/quote]

When they get lost or stolen--as is likely when you travel somewhere--zero.

They can be easily replaced.  Besides who would steal service medals?

3 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Just understand that there are plenty of people around the world that do not admire the fact that the USA has been involved in wars for about 225 years since it's inception in 1776.

And there are plenty of countries around the world that have been involved in wars for way longer than the USA.  And many Americans do not admire that fact either.