Military Service medals at Formal nights

Sailaway John

5 minutes ago, LCW said:

Resurrecting this topic....

I am cruising to Alaska over July 4th, an at sea day and likely a formal night (2nd night of cruise).  The VA is encouraging veteran's to where their medals - "On significant holidays", such as Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, etc. 

I am considering wearing my miniature medals with my civilian formal attire. I normally wouldn't, but as the cruise is primarily in US waters, thinking it would be OK.  However, wondering how people will react, as I'm female.  I sometimes get people looking at me funny when I where my veteran's ball cap, and some ask if my husband is the veteran.  Even had a reporter at the WWII Memorial ask my husband if he was a vet, only to have her walk away when he said "no", ignoring me completely.  

What are your thoughts?  Ever seen a female vet where her medals? 

Personal preference.  While I personally never choose to wear such things, it is up to the individual.  It shouldn't matter that you are female.  If you are proud of your service and accomplishments associated with your medals, wear 'em!  It could be good for more folks to remember that women serve(d) just as proudly for the cause as their male counterparts.  As a federal civilian working within DoD, I see many fantastic service members of all types performing admirably for our great Nation.

54 minutes ago, LCW said:

I am cruising to Alaska over July 4th, an at sea day and likely a formal night (2nd night of cruise).  The VA is encouraging veteran's to where their medals - "On significant holidays", such as Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, etc. 

I am considering wearing my miniature medals with my civilian formal attire. I normally wouldn't, but as the cruise is primarily in US waters, thinking it would be OK.  However, wondering how people will react, as I'm female.  I sometimes get people looking at me funny when I where my veteran's ball cap, and some ask if my husband is the veteran.  Even had a reporter at the WWII Memorial ask my husband if he was a vet, only to have her walk away when he said "no", ignoring me completely.  

First of all....Thank you for your service. I have a website you might be interested in.  https://medalsofamerica.com. They now have mini ribbons of medals for veterans to wear. looks just like the full size ribbons, and can even add additional devices for multiple awards. 😊 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LCW said:

Believe the reaction would be positive from all. 

• Like 2

My husband has the miniset. He wears them on occasion with his tux, mostly on cruises out of the US . I love it when he does, but don’t question why he doesn’t most times. It’s a very personal decision.  I don’t think he’s ever had a negative experience wearing them. And thank you for your service. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/31/2022 at 12:02 PM, LCW said:

As a 30 year Air Force veteran I encourage you to wear your ribbons - if anyone seems surprised it's a good chance to enlighten them that female vets have been serving for a long time!!!

• Like 6

Guest ldtr
On 11/11/2014 at 2:54 PM, Renmar said:

Totally appropriate if in military dress. I think people should not wear them when in civil dress. Just MHO.

Theo

I do not wear my military medals, but I will, on occasion, wear my Antarctic Service Medal that I earned as a civilian from the National Science Foundation (or the label pin that goes with the medal).

Edited by ldtr

50 minutes ago, ldtr said:

I do not wear my military medals, but I will, on occasion, wear my Antarctic Service Medal that I earned as a civilian from the National Science Foundation (or the label pin that goes with the medal).

Dh is contemplating wearing his Antarctica service miniature on our upcoming cruise to Antarctica.   He spent 3 deployments at the South Pole. 

• Like 2

On 5/31/2022 at 10:02 AM, LCW said:

I am considering wearing my miniature medals with my civilian formal attire. I normally wouldn't, but as the cruise is primarily in US waters, thinking it would be OK.  However, wondering how people will react, as I'm female. 

First and most important, thank you for your service to our country.

As far as your inquiry on feedback, I would ask you as I would anyone. What is your true personal motivation?

And second, I don’t understand the gender part?

Guest ldtr
57 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

Dh is contemplating wearing his Antarctica service miniature on our upcoming cruise to Antarctica.   He spent 3 deployments at the South Pole. 

When was he at South Pole? Research project?  I spent 3 seasons with a research project working on the sea ice in McMurdo sound in 81,82 and 83. Did seismic mapping of the structure of McMurdo sound.

Edited by ldtr

2 minutes ago, ldtr said:

When was he at South Pole? Research project?  I spent 3 seasons with a research project working on the sea ice in McMurdo sound.

No he was at Pole 1974/1975/1976 seasons.  Med evacuated December 74 from Pole.  He was a Radar tech and did several early fly ins to Scott’s hut.  I am from Christchurch.  One of our next long cruises is San Pedro to Buenos Aires with scenic cruises in Antarctica.

On 5/31/2022 at 1:02 PM, LCW said:

I say wear them and be proud. I wish I could shake your hand and Thank You for your service.

Tony

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AZjohn said:

First and most important, thank you for your service to our country.

As far as your inquiry on feedback, I would ask you as I would anyone. What is your true personal motivation?

And second, I don’t understand the gender part?

As one who served doing Viet Nam and being called names like baby killer when in uniform, I am more apt to wear something showing I served now then I did back then. There is better responses now then there was back then, it's a much better feeling.

Edited by Moondogy
  • Like 2

On 5/31/2022 at 12:02 PM, LCW said:

Wear them I do.  Male/Female who cares.  You earned them.

Cheers

• Like 2

On 5/31/2022 at 1:02 PM, LCW said:

You can wear your medals (miniature or full-size) on your civilian clothing as long as they are worn in the same manner as on your uniform.  Meaning, wear them on the same side and in the same basic location/position as if they were on your uniform.  I think that's pretty awesome!!  I've never done that in the past because I haven't been in position to do that during the recommended holidays or functions.  Thanks for your service!!!  Wear your medals with pride!! 

• Like 2

Since the question was asked....

I generally frown on wearing anything that is not egalitarian.  It's a cruise--you're with a bunch of people you don't know.  I'm not a fan of the different-colored medallions--and I'm not a fan of wearing medals.  I earned my medals running 5k and 10k, too, and after the race i would wear those; but I certainly wouldn't pack them on a cruise.   Second, people from other nationalities are on cruises.  Do they wear their medals, too?  People can earn their medals in pretty disgusting ways in other countries' militaries.  And arguably it happens in the U.S., too.   I'm not against people making fashion statements, but beat-the-Joneses is not one of them.   This falls in that category.

25 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

You can wear your medals (miniature or full-size) on your civilian clothing as long as they are worn in the same manner as on your uniform.  Meaning, wear them on the same side and in the same basic location/position as if they were on your uniform.  I think that's pretty awesome!!  I've never done that in the past because I haven't been in position to do that during the recommended holidays or functions.  Thanks for your service!!!  Wear your medals with pride!! 

They now make miniature lapel ribbons for veterans that can be worn anytime 😊

• Like 2

Wear them, hold your head high, and walk tall.  You earned those!! 

The only reason I don't wear my medals is because I have never been able to figure out how to do so on the specific types of evening gowns/material I wear.   As stated, it's easy for the gentlemen as they wear tuxedos, dinner jackets, or suits with jackets but with a gown or even fancy blouse and long skirt the material is so much thinner and less structured.

• Like 2

"I'm not against people making fashion statements, but beat-the-Joneses is not one of them." 

Trust me, wearing our medals is NOT making a fu%^ing fashion statement or about beat the Joneses.  At least not for me it isn't.  

Edited by BabySarge
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, BabySarge said:

"I'm not against people making fashion statements, but beat-the-Joneses is not one of them." 

Trust me, wearing our medals is NOT making a fu%^ing fashion statement or about beat the Joneses.  At least not for me it isn't.  

Salute!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

Since the question was asked....

I generally frown on wearing anything that is not egalitarian.  It's a cruise--you're with a bunch of people you don't know.  I'm not a fan of the different-colored medallions--and I'm not a fan of wearing medals.  I earned my medals running 5k and 10k, too, and after the race i would wear those; but I certainly wouldn't pack them on a cruise.   Second, people from other nationalities are on cruises.  Do they wear their medals, too?  People can earn their medals in pretty disgusting ways in other countries' militaries.  And arguably it happens in the U.S., too.   I'm not against people making fashion statements, but beat-the-Joneses is not one of them.   This falls in that category.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to stir the pot... or in this case, the teapot.

I don't think you can compare serving one's county to running a 5K or 10K, or even a full marathon if you'd been inclined to do so.

As for a fashion statement, there are no designer uniforms or medals... although it is rumored that Hugo Boss designed some SS uniforms, I do not believe that has been verified.  Nowhere on any runway or fashion publication have medals been declared "fashionable" as wearing them has rules as to who can wear them and in what manner.

Whether or not someone wears medals to "beat the Joneses'" is nothing you could possibly know, since you can't get into anyone's head other than your own, so pfft! on that opinion, which is all it is.

Regarding "disgusting ways", there is no US military medal that I am aware of that is offered for this type of conduct.

Edited by vjmatty
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

it's to start a conversation with hopefully like minded people - rehash old times perhaps

i wear my VOL hat proudly - even in the years we were getting our asses kicked by most other schools. Sometimes the conversation is good, sometimes not so much

not a thread hijack, if so, please delete

• Like 1