NCL ruined our anniversary

spidybabe

Ultimately, one thing I have learned is you are in control of your own happiness. It's a choice to let it ruin your wedding anniversary. I'm sorry for the bad Le Bistro experience that you had... but it's a shame it clouded your whole experience.

If Cruise Critic is not the place to register issues experienced while cruising, where does one go to register a complaint. To compare with the Ebola situation is disingenuous and likely a phony concern comparison. I think people have the right to complain - - albeit constructively.

NCL? :rolleyes:

I wasn't being judgemental. Just amazed that someone felt it was necessary to instruct the OP in how she should be ordering her steaks. Have to say that I found the majority of the responses to be insulting and ignorant - talk about NCL 'cheerleaders'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If making NCL refund or comp a meal, get free / reduced in price bottle of wine, recook the cold meal is 'cheerleading' - then guess people in this thread are NCL cheerleader ninja squad. *rolleyes*

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

These people are celebrating their 35th anniversary!! So obviously they doing something right and the people cooking at this restaurant are NOT cooking for the whole ship so better service should be expected!! Why can't she complain? And who are you to say what can be complained about. You people should have just read the comment and kept it moving. You make people not want to share their experiences, telling them what they can complain about! This is just crazy.

ALL of THIS^^^^! That is too much like right, for this place. ;)

ALL of THIS^^^^! That is too much like right, for this place. ;)

No, right would had been letting NCL remake the meal or comping something, like they originally tried to do but the OP refused the offers. Like I said, I would had made NCL refund the $40 in cash /credit or a free bottle wine for the whole mess. That would be doing right.

If the OP was looking for sympathies, she should had rewrote that opening post without that information (NCL chain of command tried to make it up to the OP and refusal). Plus the timeline of how long it took (1-2 hours for a 3 course meal for 2 people is normal even at a land-based restaurant like Applebees) , most people's reactions and responses would be completely different.

I guess instead of dwelling on it by going to guest services or talking with the Hotel Director, I would have just had the 2 appetizers, added a great couple of desserts, drank the champagne (hopefully all at no charge) and then headed off to someplace were my spouse and I could have had a few more drinks and maybe some slow dancing and then headed to the cabin to top off the evening. Sometimes it is best to look forward and have a great time, then it is to look back and dwell on a negative. Hopefully the OP's 36 anniversary will be better.

No, right would had been letting NCL remake the meal or comping something, like they originally tried to do but the OP refused the offers. Like I said, I would had made NCL refund the $40 in cash /credit or a free bottle wine for the whole mess. That would be doing right.

If the OP was looking for sympathies, she should had rewrote that opening post without that information (NCL chain of command tried to make it up to the OP and refusal). Plus the timeline of how long it took (1-2 hours for a 3 course meal for 2 people is normal even at a land-based restaurant like Applebees) , most people's reactions and responses would be completely different.

First, my comment about what was "too much like right" had nothing to with NCL, it was in response to what I bolded in the quote I was responding to. So...:confused:

Second, If the OP was looking for YOUR sympathies, then I guess the OP will need to re-write their post to your strict specifications quoted above. The OP has mine and quite a few other sympathies without all of that. I personally am more of a go with the flow person and in most instances what the OP experienced might not have been much of a big deal for ME. However, it does not mean that I cannot sympathize and empathize with how the OP felt or still feels about their disappointing anniversary celebration. It sucks when much anticipated events don't go as planned. Some people are able to deal with and accept this better than others.

What is really ironic to me is how majority of this thread is comprised of overly dramatic posts about how the OP is overreacting and being overly dramatic. :rolleyes:

These people are celebrating their 35th anniversary!! So obviously they doing something right and the people cooking at this restaurant are NOT cooking for the whole ship so better service should be expected!! Why can't she complain? And who are you to say what can be complained about. You people should have just read the comment and kept it moving. You make people not want to share their experiences, telling them what they can complain about! This is just crazy.

Big freaking deal? Yes it should have been. you're obviously one of those people that'll accept anything. Smh no wonder they give crap service cause no one thinks its a big deal.

I don't think anyone is saying that the service shouldn't be good or that the OP doesn't have a right to expect good service and complain when they don't get good service.

What I'm saying, and I think many others here are saying the same thing, is that no one can turn back time and make it so the problem didn't occur. The only thing NCL can do is make it up to the OP. From the OP's account of the situation it sounds like NCL did try to make it right but the OP declined the offers. That is certainly their prerogative to do so however knowing that you can't unring the bell, it makes sense to make the best of the situation.

In this case, the dinner was important to the OP so why not try to salvage the situation and allow the restaurant to recook the steak? If that had happened then the OP would have had exactly what they wanted along with an extra appetizer and whatever else the restaurant gave them. There is a good chance that they wouldn't have had to pay, and the only difference between that and what they originally wanted and expected was that it took longer than they thought and they had to send an entree back as it wasn't right. That really then changes the entire experience and makes it a meal with a service glitch and not a "NCL ruined my anniversary".

Edited by justhere

Just my 2 cents

If one comes to the boards to complain (whether it be legitimate or not), you have to expect one of two things.

A. You may get people that empathize with your situation

B. You may get people that think the situation you are complaining about is ridiculous.

You cannot come on here and expect everyone to agree with you. You are leaving yourself wide open for disappointment.

If you are not happy with the responses here because it is not what you wanted to hear, than don't post. Period.

Me? My opinion? I just thought to myself....did someone die?

I think EVERY single person on these boards have had at LEAST one terrible, inedible meal on a cruise ship. If everyone posted "my ____(fill in the blank) was RUINED. This post was so melodramatic to me. JMO

Does this advice apply to ship reviews as well? Are you suggesting we should avoid negative review comments out of concern we will be attacked?

First, my comment about what was "too much like right" had nothing to with NCL, it was in response to what I bolded in the quote I was responding to. So...:confused:

Second, If the OP was looking for YOUR sympathies, then I guess the OP will need to re-write their post to your strict specifications quoted above. The OP has mine and quite a few other sympathies without all of that. I personally am more of a go with the flow person and in most instances what the OP experienced might not have been much of a big deal for ME. However, it does not mean that I cannot sympathize and empathize with how the OP felt or still feels about their disappointing anniversary celebration. It sucks when much anticipated events don't go as planned. Some people are able to deal with and accept this better than others.

What is really ironic to me is how majority of this thread is comprised of overly dramatic posts about how the OP is overreacting and being overly dramatic. :rolleyes:

If the OP wanted the people who are being critical to throw a pity party for her she should -1) NOT let NCL off the hook for the comedy of errors dinner by refusing their offer or not getting a refund back for it & 2) saying that rest of the trip minus the one dinner, was good. Yeah, it sucks that a anniversary was ruin by cold steak and sides and somewhat lackluster service but was the whole day, the year it took place and length of your relationship with your spouse truly ruin? Because if cold steak that can't be cut and frozen sides can put a dampen on one's happiness to their significant other on their special day, than the OP and others that sympathize with her are going to have some serious coping issues when real mess up things happen on special occasions like a heart attack, death in the family, injuries & sickness (I either get sick or injured around my birthday and/or Christmas Eve/ Day/ 26th - nothing can crush the soul more than celebrating Christmas / your birthday from the ER, vomiting out your insides,or suffering the flu / cold / strep throat, etc...) If that's the worse that can happen on your anniversary is a plate of cold meat, then, God Bless, because it could had been alot worse. :cool:

Edited by maywell

I don't think anyone is saying that the service shouldn't be good or that the OP doesn't have a right to expect good service and complain when they don't get good service.

What I'm saying, and I think many others here are saying the same thing, is that no one can turn back time and make it so the problem didn't occur. The only thing NCL can do is make it up to the OP. From the OP's account of the situation it sounds like NCL did try to make it right but the OP declined the offers. That is certainly their prerogative to do so however knowing that you can't unring the bell, it makes sense to make the best of the situation.

In this case, the dinner was important to the OP so why not try to salvage the situation and allow the restaurant to recook the steak? If that had happened then the OP would have had exactly what they wanted along with an extra appetizer and whatever else the restaurant gave them. There is a good chance that they wouldn't have had to pay, and the only difference between that and what they originally wanted and expected was that it took longer than they thought and they had to send an entree back as it wasn't right. That really then changes the entire experience and makes it a meal with a service glitch and not a "NCL ruined my anniversary".

Nicely stated!

Sorry the anniversary did not live up to expectations. But the title of the thread is a bit extreme. I was expecting to read how the Captain ordered you off the ship in some mishap. To have a longer than expected meal that did not live up to your expectations is hardly a reason to ruin a cruise let alone an anniversary.

You should have went to Cagneys. The beef is much better there. I don't care for any steak at Le Bistro. The quality is not the same and a good steak is not to have sauce on it IMHO. I have eaten at Le Bistro once and found the food very MDR like. Its probably my least favorite NCL restaurant tied with La Cucina. Cagneys is the place for steaks!

Does this advice apply to ship reviews as well? Are you suggesting we should avoid negative review comments out of concern we will be attacked?

Well...this is a DISCUSSION forum. The Ship Review forum is NOT a discussion forum.

That is an important difference.

Knowing this, why would you think someone's opinion (as the person said: "just my 2 cents") about a discussion forum containing differing opinions would also apply to ship reviews?

If nobody can respond to, or discuss, a review, how could they "attack" you?

BTW...Just because someone disagrees with someone else on an Internet forum does not mean the person was attacked. Is nothing more than a different opinion....lighten up.

AFWIW...Its over-the-top, blowing things out of proportion drama like "attacked" that is the reason why we're having this entire discussion.

We went to guest services and spoke to the ship’s restaurant manager, Aurora Jalba, who said she would look into what happened, and again offered us something else, but at this point our once in a lifetime event was ruined. After a short time Jenny Lim (Hotel director) who was contacted about the i......

Perfect opportunity to ask for free stuff as compensation and you let it slip by you? Man you really blew it.

Sorry this happened to you. It is disappointing to plan a special celebration only to have it fall apart.

I hope once you arrived back on land that you celebrated your Anniversary again :)

Also, fair warning -because this incident didn't happen to them, many will say you're overreacting.

Ignoring such comments is best.

Sorry this happened to you. It is disappointing to plan a special celebration only to have it fall apart.

I hope once you arrived back on land that you celebrated your Anniversary again :)

Also, fair warning -because this incident didn't happen to them, many will say you're overreacting.

Ignoring such comments is best.

I think most people including myself are trying to put things in perspective. it would take a lot more than over cooked cold steak to ruin a 35 year anniversary celebration and as the OP said NCL ruined their cruise hence over dramatic. My opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums