Contacting boat/CD to find out where to board?

Hoyaheel

Our cruise documents don't tell us where to board - they give a phone number and say to call the cruise director. (we're arriving early in NUE but did not do any of Avalon's transfers etc) I'm also not planning on activating any international data or voice plans on my phone. What do other people do? Ask the front desk at a hotel to call?

We had a similar situation in Paris recently. We arrived by Thalys from Belguim.

We had the email address of the Hotel Director so I emailed him a couple of days before and asked him to let me know by email which he did.

Our taxi driver was marvellous - we couldn't find the ship - after a while he turned off the meter. We had a global sim in our phone so we rang the ship and the taxi driver spoke to them. We were approx 50 meters from the ship but it was rafted and you cannot see a rafted ship from the street. By the time we got to the gangplank there were 3 crew members there, waiting to help us out of the taxi and carry our bags.

Needless to say the taxi driver got a hefty tip.

We were offered the global sim by our travel insurance company (free). We put $A30 on it for emergency use only. That was the only time that we used it. We will be taking it to Italy with us in April so it still may get more use.

Edited by Stratheden

My smartphone isn't unlocked (and I'm not going to jailbreak it) so if I wanted international on it I'd have to get the plan for the month from Verizon. I have an unlocked flip phone but don't feel like getting a sim & minutes when I probably wouldn't use it other than this one call. I think we have the CD email as well so I'll try that, and ask the hotel to call if they will, the morning we leave......

We had the hotel, in Nuremberg, call a taxi for us and the driver knew right where to take us. I think that all the river boats dock in the same area in Nuremberg.

Look at Viking's website, handbook area, and you will see the docking area in Nuremberg. I know that you are traveling with Avalon, but the location is on the Viking site :).

Avalon usually has everyone meet at a hotel and they transfer you to the ship for free. Regardless if you paid for airport transfers Are you sure a hotel is not listed in your documents? It's just easier meeting at the hotel than trying to find the ship sometimes. Jmo

Had a BAD experience with taxi and finding boat there.So PLEASE, contact Avalon and get SPECIFIC instructions(in German,if possible).We use a TA now to handle this stuff.

Ask taxi driver if he KNOWS where port is, ours SAID he did but looked confused .We almost missed departure,he had to stop many times and ask.

Its a confusing location,would get them BEFORE and not wait to call CD.Never heard of such a thing.If unsure get Avalon transfer. Don't make same mistake we did.:eek:

My smartphone isn't unlocked (and I'm not going to jailbreak it) so if I wanted international on it I'd have to get the plan for the month from Verizon. I have an unlocked flip phone but don't feel like getting a sim & minutes when I probably wouldn't use it other than this one call. I think we have the CD email as well so I'll try that, and ask the hotel to call if they will, the morning we leave......

I like the "have the hotel call for you" option best. I bet >90% of them would do it for you no problem. If that fails, it may be only a local call from your room which may not be all that expensive.

Trying to contact CD by e-mail several days prior is a nice thought but it may well be that the ship won't know where she's docking until she actually arrives in port. This isn't so uncommon with river cruising. Assignments change up until the last minute.

Other options:

Contact Avalon directly and ask if you can join their group transfer anyway - you'd just have to get to the hotel where everyone gathers. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Do you have Skype? Since you're using e-mail, I assume you are bringing a laptop, but you could also use Skype as an app on your smartphone. Use the hotel's Wi-Fi and Skype the CD. It will cost a few cents per minute, and even basic Wi-Fi will usually provide adequate bandwidth for a voice call using Skype. You have to have an account with Skype that's preloaded with credit ($10 minimum purchase) but I've had it for years and use it now and then. Has saved us $$$ over the years with international calls.

Last ditch effort would be to use your mobile phone. I have Verizon also and you don't need to sign up for a full month's plan that costs additional $ per se, unless they have changed things entirely... Just activate the "pay as you go" international plan and you can make calls whenever you want. But if you make no calls, you pay no additional monthly fee. They will cost a few dollars per minute between roaming and long-distance charges, but it should work, and it's good to have that option in case of emergency. Be sure you've turned off data, though; if you don't, you'll start downloading data over the mobile network once connected and it gets really expensive, really fast!

I doubt you'd have to resort to using your mobile phone; the other options should work for you. Which hotel are you staying at in Nuremberg?

Edited by jpalbny

...if I wanted international on it I'd have to get the plan for the month from Verizon

You can activate international calling on Verizon for free. You don't need the monthly plan -- that's only if you plan to make a lot of calls. The cost per call is higher, but if no calls then the cost is zero. You can also text, at a very cheap rate. We have international calling on both our Verizon phones just for emergencies -- we got separated near Ponte Vecchio a few years ago and it was frightening. At that point I decided to do whatever it takes to make sure we could each reach the other, and it turned out it took very little effort (and no money, since we haven't gotten lost since!).

You can activate international calling on Verizon for free. You don't need the monthly plan -- that's only if you plan to make a lot of calls. The cost per call is higher, but if no calls then the cost is zero. You can also text, at a very cheap rate. We have international calling on both our Verizon phones just for emergencies -- we got separated near Ponte Vecchio a few years ago and it was frightening. At that point I decided to do whatever it takes to make sure we could each reach the other, and it turned out it took very little effort (and no money, since we haven't gotten lost since!).

AT&T is similar. Text is cheap, either 25 or 50 cents, and per minute voice cost is high. It's quick and painless to do over the phone. We had some difficulty getting Albania covered, the service rep kept telling me we already had Alabama on our plan. ;)

AT&T is similar. Text is cheap, either 25 or 50 cents, and per minute voice cost is high. It's quick and painless to do over the phone. We had some difficulty getting Albania covered, the service rep kept telling me we already had Alabama on our plan. ;)

That would be "Alabamia" :D

You can download an app called VIBER on your cell phone and tell your friends and family at home to download it as well. It works if you have a wifi connection. You can send and receive texts for free and phone calls are free between Viber users.

I always get an International plan on my phone when traveling for data and I try to avoid making phone calls or sending regular texts because it can really add up. If there is an emergency I can always make a phone call with my phone.

I also travel everywhere with my laptop and I have a Magic Jack. When I am in a hotel for example, and have a wifi connection on my laptop, I can use my Magic Jack to make phone calls back to the US for FREE. I have been using it for years and it works great!

If anyone has questions email me.

We are also making our way to the Nuremberg dock area by taxi Hoyaheel. This Trip Advisor thread offers some good info on where the dock is located.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187310-i1012-k7847192-Viking_cruise-Nuremberg_Middle_Franconia_Franconia_Bavaria.html

I also made a copy of this map http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/my-trip/about-my-ship/docking-locations-ports.html

and have been practicing saying "Konnen Sie mich hier bitte?"

Have a great trip.

Frank