Taking wine on board

bschmitt

....What I do want to comment on is simply how much money we gladly hand over to the company without much thought. ...

The second is I hate pay the outrageously overpriced cost of wine aboard most cruise ships.

I know I am getting a bargain by bringing my own dinner wine with me and paying the corkage fee, and knowing that I will enjoy the wine I personally select. ;)

Yea, the prices may be high. But still WAY LESS than getting a glass of wine at ballgame, or theatre. $$10 for a small glass is not unheard of.

It is what it is.

• 2 weeks later...
Yea, the prices may be high. But still WAY LESS than getting a glass of wine at ballgame, or theatre. $$10 for a small glass is not unheard of.

It is what it is.

Just got back from a stay at the Philadelphia courtyard Marriott. A glass of house Cabernet was $13, $14 with tip.

Can anyone tell me if there is a limit on how many bottles of wine you can take. We are on the Epic 11/30/14 and are thinking of taking our own bottles but are not sure if there is a limit to what you can take.

There is no limit other than what you can physically carry... My wife and I took 7 bottles this cruise we just completed. The corkage process went well, and my wife actually had her favorite local wines to drink so she was very happy! My wife seems to enjoy only North Carolina Muscadine wines (red and white) and we cannot get that unless we bring it ourselves.

• 3 weeks later...

New to Norwegian and have a question on the corkage fee. If I bring my own wine on board and pay the corkage fee can I then bring the bottle to the dining room and then back to my stateroom if I don't finish it?

How many bottles can I bring onboard? Is it a long process to wait in line to pay the corkage fee?

Thanks.

New to Norwegian and have a question on the corkage fee. If I bring my own wine on board and pay the corkage fee can I then bring the bottle to the dining room and then back to my stateroom if I don't finish it?

How many bottles can I bring onboard? Is it a long process to wait in line to pay the corkage fee?

Thanks.

Bring as much as you want. You may bring it to the dining room and back to your room.

Corkage payment is right after security and is usually quick. Sometimes even nonexistent:rolleyes:

Bring as much as you want. You may bring it to the dining room and back to your room.

Corkage payment is right after security and is usually quick. Sometimes even nonexistent:rolleyes:

Yes in the heat of the battle to get everyone checked in and on board timely

NCL may pull their corkage (goal tender) to process the late check-ins.

However they know if a bottle has bypassed the corkage fee point because it

is lacking the little corkage fee sticker and they also know the wines that they

sell on the ship and the VIVA VINO wine packages. You take a bottle of wine

that is not sold on the ship and without corkage fee sticker to a restaurant

you maybe charged the corkage fee when they uncork the bottle.

Something else to note the corkage fees and the VIVA VINO wine packages

are billed usually to a MDR account instead of having a direct easy way to check

on your Sail & Sign account. Thus if you see a strange entry on your account

that is most likely where the billing is placed.

Also note that screw cap wines are treated the same as the cork ones - so

wait for it - - - You are getting {un}screwed for the same service ! LOL !

So how do you folks that bring 6 or 7 bottles with you pack them?

Don't you have to lug them around until your cabin is ready?

Sometimes in a plain cardboard case, or in a cabin luggage type of bag with wheels, etc, etc.

We usually board as soon as possible, go to MDR for lunch at noon and once we are finished with relaxed lunch, cabins are usually ready. If not, they usually have a bag check somewhere like the nightclub or Asian restaurant area on Dawn class or Jewel class ships. It closes around 1:30pm-2pm when the cabins should become available.

So how do you folks that bring 6 or 7 bottles with you pack them?

Don't you have to lug them around until your cabin is ready?

I just use a rolling carry-on size suit case for my wine bottles. I always bring a beach towel and bubble wrap when I cruise. So they is used to keep my bottles safe when boarding. This also lets me have extra space when I come home in case I buy anything.

When we boarded in Vancouver in September we somehow missed the payment desk. Oooopsie.:D

The next day they have the desk set up in Seattle. We practically had to show the NCL employee how to process the fee.:rolleyes: Never had to work so hard in order to give a business my money.

That being said even at the full $15 per bottle corkage fee, I like the unlimited amount, consume anywhere style of NCL compared to others' 2 bottle max policies. And NCL keep up the good work on your collection enforcement!;)