Mosquito disease in Tahit ..

Minoushka

Would it be enough for Oceania to cancel its cruises ?they have 3 so far

How bad would it have to be ...so far 8000 affected ...2have died

How worrisome is this ?

Where am I going to find bug spray with 25 percent Deet in winter ?

How worrisome is this ?

There is no trouble finding it in Canada. Canada Tire and many large grocery stores carry it all year round.

How worrisome is this ?

Exactly where and when. You supply no details. Let us know what you are talking about.

I agree. The corner drug store might not have it on the shelves right now, but Canadian Tire will, for sure.

Yes, French Polynesia has Dengue Fever, but it's rare. And you won't be bothered by mosquitoes anywhere where you're on the water, like aboard ship, or out snorkelling or boating. The only time it would become an issue would be on land, particularly inland, on an excursion where there's trees and no wind, or in outdoor areas, like restaurants or hotels, away from the ocean breeze.

And no, there's no reason for Oceania to cancel cruises. If they did, they'd have to cancel places like Thailand too, which also has Dengue, or the Caribbean which has this new disease that LHT28 mentions, chikungunya.

And what about all the places in the world with malaria, should the cruise industry cancel those too?

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

chikungunya is prevalent in the Carribbean as well as other countries

http://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/geo/index.html

I have not heard of any cruise lines cancelling cruise to them yet

it is still Level 1 as per CDC in FP

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/watch/chikungunya-french-polynesia

I would follow the recommendations outlined in the bulletin

Edited by LHT28

I read the report in French from .tahitian authorities apparently 800 affected 2 have died from chkunyunga...or something like that

They have raised the level to 4 ...not sure what that means

Are long dresses or long skirts just as good as slacks for protection?

How worrisome is this ?

Better put Hawaii, Maui, Panama, Dominica, Fiji Marquesas', Tahiti ,Brazil, Peru on the list too.... Its the tropics and a natural breeding place for critters.and MRSA ( which I got in Easter Island)...

Wet season Dec-April will be the highest bug months...Regular DEET is fine and I have yet to see a mosquito on the ship ( they have limited finances and cant afford it)

If you want no risk.....then don't travel even to the bathroom where 70% of home fatal accident happen... Then there is rocky mt spotted fever, lymes disease, west nile virus....ant that's in north America

Look at the big picture, your going to die sometime, its just a matter of from what.... Me I have birthday disease which is terminal.. I don't worry about it.... By the way have it too.

Have fun everyday is a risk and a gift

The percentage of Deet has no effect on strength, just on length of time it is effective. 20% Deet is effective roughly twice as long as 10% Deet. While depending on a lot of factors, a rough rule of thumb is 2 - 3 hours for 10%, 4 - 6 hours for 20%. I just carry a small 4 ounce bottle and reapply if necessary.

Spray Deet can be oily and smelly, and affects some plastics and polyesters. We use a lotion-based, odor free Deet ("Family" by Sawyer, at Amazon) or products with Pricaridin, which is as effective as Deet, lasts a little longer and does not harm plastics.

Sawyer also offers a clothing repellant spray with Permetrhin, good for up to 6 weeks or 6 launderings, whichever occurs first. We're taking two bottles of the permetrhin spray, 4 - 4 0z bottle of the Deet lotion and two bottles of Avon Skin-So-Soft with picaridin on the world cruise.

If you use sun block, always apply it first, and then the bug repellant. Probably not wise to use a combination sun block and bug spray. Bugs like sun block.

We will also pay attention to select clothing that will reduce the chances of a bite in the first place. The most effective remedy is prevention.

Edited by hondorner

The percentage of Deet has no effect on strength, just on length of time it is effective. 20% Deet is effective roughly twice as long as 10% Deet. While depending on a lot of factors, a rough rule of thumb is 2 - 3 hours for 10%, 4 - 6 hours for 20%. I just carry a small 4 ounce bottle and reapply if necessary.

Spray Deet can be oily and smelly, and affects some plastics and polyesters. We use a lotion-based, odor free Deet ("Family" by Sawyer, at Amazon) or products with Pricaridin, which is as effective as Deet, lasts a little longer and does not harm plastics.

Sawyer also offers a clothing repellant spray with Permetrhin, good for up to 6 weeks or 6 launderings, whichever occurs first. We're taking two bottles of the permetrhin spray, 4 - 4 0z bottle of the Deet lotion and two bottles of Avon Skin-So-Soft with picaridin on the world cruise.

If you use sun block, always apply it first, and then the bug repellant. Probably not wise to use a combination sun block and bug spray. Bugs like sun block.

We will also pay attention to select clothing that will reduce the chances of a bite in the first place. The most effective remedy is prevention.

You hit the nail on the head once again. We didn't know about Permetrhin but purchased repellent with picaridin. The mosquitos in the Caribbean like to bite during the day so we have to be careful. In terms cancelling crucial see, IMO there would be no where left in the world to go. People need to pay attention, do research and go for it.

We wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. We are celebrating in a lounge at Dallas airport on our way to Miami😁

I went prepared for our FP cruise last April with Bushman's strength insect repellent as any bug within radar range will find me! I was actually paranoid about being "carried away" by mosquitoes.

I received just ONE bite during our 14 day cruise and that was from walking through some long grass at the Belvedere Lookout on Moorea.

As mentioned, the most likely and logical place that mosquitoes are to be found is inland in shady areas and around still water.

Just be prepared!!

I also found some bug repellent spray in a pharmacy in Papeete.

Enjoy your cruise!!

something with Picaridin at Amazon. It comes second day and is inexpensive. This is for the Caribbean, but would work in Tahiti. I too have been to Tahiti five times and have never met a mosquito. Stay near the water...don't go inland where they breed in pools of stagnant water. If you wear all those clothes in Tahiti you will be miserable.

<<snip>>

and MRSA ( which I got in Easter Island)...

<<snip<<

You went all out there in EI! Most folks come back with a little Moai and you simply had to one up everyone?! ;)

Seriously, how long was your recovery? One of my best buddies had his knee scoped, but MRSA and it took forever. Bob, who was a former linebacker in the NFL well practice squad in the 70s, went from being a healthy/beefy powerful man of 240lbs of muscle to 160 lbs of skin & bones. He nearly died as it ended up infecting his spine!

That was the only place we saw mosquitoes last January in FP and it was inland in a damp forested area. Long pants and shirt help as does the bug stuff with Deet you get from Amazon. There are so many places around the world where you could get still Dengue Fever if unlucky that I do not think many cruises or land tours would be cancelled because of the risk. Just use precautions.