Formal Nights to be dropped

stu042

.......sounds like you would prefer a "Comicon" type evening with people dressed in costumes ranging from Star Wars troopers to evil characters......I think I'll dress up like Adam Goldstein. I am a gluten for punishment.......:D

I was hoping for the gluten-free menu... ;)

I don't think I'd miss it much, but honestly, the group I sail with won't change. 30-50 goths hitting the main dining room after a group party night is a sight to see, no matter what the "formal night" is.

GC7.jpg

We have 2 cruises out of Baltimore in Dec and Feb and both say Dynamic Dining. They aren't waiting til March but I don't care. I go to eat, not to judged who sits beside me.

Have no fear of perfection -- you'll never reach it.

Edited by WupperAV

i was hoping for the gluten-free menu... ;)

i don't think i'd miss it much, but honestly, the group i sail with won't change. 30-50 goths hitting the main dining room after a group party night is a sight to see, no matter what the "formal night" is.

gc7.jpg

......love it!.........

We have 2 cruises out of Baltimore in Dec and Feb and both say Dynamic Dining. They aren't waiting til March but I don't care. I go to eat, not to judged who sits beside me.

I'm confused. Your cruises out of Baltimore, which would be on the Grandeur I assume, are saying that you have Dynamic Dining?

Quantum and Anthem aren't the only DD ships. Fact.

It's coming. Bring on the WAMBAHLANCES! Fact.

Chickens. Fact.

Eggs. Fact.

First. Fact.

Bears. Fact.

Beets. Fact.

Battlestar Galactica. Fact.

Currently quantum is the only DD ship. Oasis doesn't start till march.

If nothing else, RCI needs to rethink formal night. If it is nothing more than a night people are requried to dress up an extra level... good riddance.

It can just be about clothes. It has to be a special night in many ways. Something magical. Something people want to dress up to be a part of.

But how?

I agree that cruisers need a reason these days to pack heavy to get gussied-up for the mando-commando Formal Night.

Personally I think it adds a touch of class to what is typically a chill vacation. It's also one of the only times I ca get my family dressed for a nice family photo. (RCCL) Do something spectacular on Formal Night to incent pax to continue to accept it.

Currently quantum is the only DD ship. Oasis doesn't start till march.

I said Quantum and Anthem, which is still a few months out, but will arrive with DD in place.

Oasis is coming in a matter of weeks and more ships will be coming in behind that, at least it sounds that way.

All signs point to traditional formal dining going the way of the dodo in the near future.

There used to be an excellent drydock schedule, but it seems to have slipped away. However, we know some ships are going soon.

Freedom (Jan 2015) likely DD upgrade

Explorer (Spring 2015) possible DD upgrade, getting the rest of the Oasis-class upgrades

Jewel (Spring 2015) possible DD upgrade, getting the rest of the Oasis-class upgrades

I said Quantum and Anthem, which is still a few months out, but will arrive with DD in place.

Oasis is coming in a matter of weeks and more ships will be coming in behind that, at least it sounds that way.

All signs point to traditional formal dining going the way of the dodo in the near future.

There used to be an excellent drydock schedule, but it seems to have slipped away. However, we know some ships are going soon.

Explorer (Spring 2015) possible DD upgrade, getting the rest of the Oasis-class upgrades

Jewel (Spring 2015) possible DD upgrade, getting the rest of the Oasis-class upgrades

An email response two days ago from customer service says that Freedom is still definitely not getting DD. But as we know, Customer service is not always correct...;)

Yes the OP asked about non DD ships.

Grande is a formal venue. Fact.

And again quantum and anthem are Dd ships.

FACT: Grande is a restaurant, NOT a formal night (duh):rolleyes:. There are NO formal NIGHTS on the QoS.

FACT: ALL ships that get DD will no longer include a formal NIGHT, only the formal restaurant.

FACT: There is NO captains reception on QoS, and will also be phased out on other ships with DD once implemented.

Edited by jp30338

What ship(s) are you sailing on? None of the cruises out of Baltimore are due to offer Dynamic Dining in the foreseeable future. Are you sure you aren't confusing MTD with DD?

This must be a mistake - Grandeur is not set up for Dynamic Dining.

I agree that cruisers need a reason these days to pack heavy to get gussied-up for the mando-commando Formal Night.

Personally I think it adds a touch of class to what is typically a chill vacation. .

.....looking around at most of my fellow cruisers and most formal nights dress ups is like putting lipstick on a pig............;):D

You missed the Allure, which will be DD presumably after her dry dock in May.

I think what happens on the Freedom will be a big clue as to what happens for ships other than Quantum/Oasis class. I wouldn't be surprised if they use the dry dock to prep the Freedom, like they did on Oasis and then implement DD at a later date or not depending on how it's received on the ships that have it now. It wouldn't be hard to not implement since all they will be doing is doing some redecorating of the existing dining rooms and maybe adding a few other restaurants (eg Wonderland, the suite restaurant). The new restaurants can exist without DD and they can leave the restaurant name signs off the dining rooms until they opt to implement. Would anyone care if each dining room is decorated differently?

I just can't see Royal wasting a dry dock opportunity and not getting the Freedom ready even if there is some doubt as to whether they will implement or not.

However if they don't prep the Freedom for DD then it might mean that DD may not spread to existing ships (other than Oasis/Allure) for a while. This I wouldn't mind as if you want DD you have Quantum class and Oasis class and likely any future classes to choose from and if you like traditional or MTD then you have Freedom class and lower to choose from.

You missed the Allure, which will be DD presumably after her dry dock in May.

I think what happens on the Freedom will be a big clue as to what happens for ships other than Quantum/Oasis class. I wouldn't be surprised if they use the dry dock to prep the Freedom, like they did on Oasis and then implement DD at a later date or not depending on how it's received on the ships that have it now. It wouldn't be hard to not implement since all they will be doing is doing some redecorating of the existing dining rooms and maybe adding a few other restaurants (eg Wonderland, the suite restaurant). The new restaurants can exist without DD and they can leave the restaurant name signs off the dining rooms until they opt to implement. Would anyone care if each dining room is decorated differently?

I just can't see Royal wasting a dry dock opportunity and not getting the Freedom ready even if there is some doubt as to whether they will implement or not.

However if they don't prep the Freedom for DD then it might mean that DD may not spread to existing ships (other than Oasis/Allure) for a while. This I wouldn't mind as if you want DD you have Quantum class and Oasis class and likely any future classes to choose from and if you like traditional or MTD then you have Freedom class and lower to choose from.

I thought that the most recent announcement was that Freedom would NOT be getting DD. there was a lot of talk and hinting that it was coming even from Capt. Thor. But then a month or so ago I think they said no DD for Freedom in this dry dock. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought that the most recent announcement was that Freedom would NOT be getting DD. there was a lot of talk and hinting that it was coming even from Capt. Thor. But then a month or so ago I think they said no DD for Freedom in this dry dock. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That was the most recent announcement by RCI. But you know how they do change their minds at the last minute.:rolleyes:

My understanding is that the statement was something like Freedom wouldn't be getting DD at this time. However, my point was that if they do plan on implementing DD sometime in the future that they might redesign the dining rooms, like they did on Oasis. Keep it traditional/MTD, but be in the position to implement DD down the road. Otherwise they'd have to wait until her next dry dock in five years or put her in another dry dock a year or two from now which doesn't make sense to make the DD changes. If they don't do any DD prep work then it might indicate that the push for DD will be for the foreseeable future with the Oasis class, Quantum class and possibly future new classes.

Much like Oasis doesn't have DD now, but basically the dry dock included the DD conversion.

That makes a lot of sense. Everyone would be correct. They wouldn't be implementing DD, but they would be making the ship ready using the dry dock time appropriately.

We'll see.

Just had a formal night 12-4.

Just back from Enchantment where we were invited to dine at the Captain's Table. No, it wasn't "Formal Night," but I was surprised to see that the suggested attire was "Smart Casual."

A sign of things to come?

Just sailed on the Quantum. A great feature was the "Grand". This dress code in this venue is formal every night for dinner. They hold to this dress code.

If you like dressing "formal" and appreciate the consistency within the guest dressing likewise, this is the place to eat. If you don't, select another venue. Having a choice satisfies both desires.

On voyager 25 November there was no Italian singing or Hawaiian night in the MDR and we were told this was a fleet wide decision by the new Vice President.

No Italian singing or napkin waving on Explorer last week too. However, they did introduce the chefs on the last night.