Carnival staff drinking?

AtSeaWithChris

John Heald has spoken on this subject before and it has been spoken about in a "Behind the Fun" tour I was on. They can't drink more than one or two drinks, even off duty, in case they are needed in an emergency situation.

I read where a Cruise director was accused of being drunk and or drinking all of the time. Have you seen this behavior?

That could be a serious breech of protocol and a serious breech of trust over safety at sea.

Edited by MamallamaAndDaddy

On my Behind the Fun tour, the guide put it like this:

Employees can have a drink or two but they can NEVER get drunk. When the ship is moving only the guests should have trouble walking straight, any employee who even looks like they might have had too much to drink is subject to discipline.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never seen a CD or staff member drunk, or even tipsy. However, if you read any of the books written by former crew members, you will see that drinking and parties with alcohol are part of crew life. What people do on their "off" hours is their business. If there is a drink limit imposed upon them contractually, and they break that rule and are caught, and are fired for that infraction, so be it. As for a safety issue, this is very low on my "worry" list!!

I have not personally ever seen crew members drinking but I know they do have a lounge area that they can do to in their own personal area of the ship. I also know they have dances etc...Not saying there is alcohol served there or anything like that but they are allowed like stated above to have a drink or two but not get drunk. Even when "off duty" they are on duty. But nope never witnessed it.

CC: You mention how hard crewmember work. Can you talk a little about how hard they party -- the part that regular cruisers never see?

BDB: Well, with the parties, you need to understand who the crew is. They are very young people who are certified squeaky clean -- they can't get on if you're not very, very healthy. They have a pocket full of cash and they're surrounded by other young, beautiful people. It's the same mentality that college kids have, that they can do anything. So on a ship -- compared to a college -- parties are only more intense because of time and space constraints. You're already light headed because you haven't had enough sleep in four months. The attitude becomes Why not have another shot?"

I'm positive that the important crew members are forbidden to drink to excess (able seamen in charge of lifeboats). Carnival is a freak about safety. And if you're working you can't go. For example, I was in charge of midnight buffet on Carnival Conquest, and they would close off the back pool. My crew would slink away and everyone was getting wild half naked and drunk. Of course they were allowed to have their break ... but they didn't come back! And the thing about management was they'd always turn a blind eye. If crew came in drunk from lunch, they didn't mind. "They work so hard -- let 'em play."

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1059

John Heald has spoken on this subject before and it has been spoken about in a "Behind the Fun" tour I was on. They can't drink more than one or two drinks, even off duty, in case they are needed in an emergency situation.

I read where a Cruise director was accused of being drunk and or drinking all of the time. Have you seen this behavior?

That could be a serious breech of protocol and a serious breech of trust over safety at sea.

Of all the things to worry about, making hypothetical's about what might happen is low on a list of "potential" problems that "might" occur on a cruise. In our 29 cruises, I have never seen an employee out of control for any reason.

Haven't you ever heard the story of why John Heald stopped drinking? He mentioned he had a few too many one night and, I can't remember what it was, but some situation happened where he had to go to the bridge to make announcements over the PA. He said he could barely make his announcements and after that day he swore to never drink again.

I assume, like most things, it was more common years ago but with today's restrictions and regulations it would be very unwise for CD to be intoxicated while onboard.

We were told in both Behind the Fun tours that crew members are not allowed to drink within 4 hours of duty. If they show up and are suspected to be intoxicated, they must take a breathalizer test, and if they are above the limit set by Carnival (which was very low if I remember correctly), they are relieved of duty, and disembarked at the next port and sent home. No questions asked. This was the story both guides told, so I am sure it is policy, but I am certain that a blind eye is turned in many instances, and some are just better at hiding it than others.

In all my cruises, I have never encountered a crew member that even acted like they had had one drink.

We were told in both Behind the Fun tours that crew members are not allowed to drink within 4 hours of duty. If they show up and are suspected to be intoxicated, they must take a breathalizer test, and if they are above the limit set by Carnival (which was very low if I remember correctly), they are relieved of duty, and disembarked at the next port and sent home. No questions asked. This was the story both guides told, so I am sure it is policy, but I am certain that a blind eye is turned in many instances, and some are just better at hiding it than others.

In all my cruises, I have never encountered a crew member that even acted like they had had one drink.

What I was told as well on my tour. Said the crew have to be able to perform their muster duties. Carnival does pay to send them home and get them back as well.

I actually spoke to a group of girls who were crew in one of the lounges on a past cruise. They had to all get permission from the captain and they were only allowed a few hours to be 'above decks'. It was one of the girl's birthdays and they were have a great time. They were interesting to speak to, and they were a fun group of girls.

I have never seen a CD or staff member drunk, or even tipsy. However, if you read any of the books written by former crew members, you will see that drinking and parties with alcohol are part of crew life. What people do on their "off" hours is their business. If there is a drink limit imposed upon them contractually, and they break that rule and are caught, and are fired for that infraction, so be it. As for a safety issue, this is very low on my "worry" list!!

I agree about the parties. On our last cruise our stateroom attendent talked about a party he went to the night before. It, obviously, was a "crew only" event.

Im not allowed to mention on here where I read it. But I try to verify things so I came straight here.

I verify things too, but since you can't give a source for this information, it's just a rumor as far as I'm concerned.

That said, alcoholism is an insidious disease and is present in all segments and levels of society.

It should surprise none of us when we hear another person battling or living with this addiction, no matter what his or her position is.

My name is Bill, and I'm an alcoholic.

Edited by captbill
Making my gibberish more readable.

I just got off a cruise a few weeks back, where a member of the entertainment staff was drinking in between trivia/events in the Redfrog Pub on several occasions.

A few cruisers, including myself, even bought him drinks a few times.

He never seemed to be intoxicated, though.

On our Miracle cruise in October, they closed the Serenity Deck early one night for the crew party. Yes, the bar was open for them and they did have a great time from what the bartender told us the next day. Obviously only the off-duty crew members partied. We never seen them intoxicated and they were a fun crew. More power to them to have a good time on their off hours.

I have seen the younger crew members drinking ashore, but maybe that is because they are the only ones that have the energy haha. Remarkably, I saw our CAPTAIN in the piano bar having a couple drinks at about 11 PM the night before an early port call. Won't say what ship or what Captain, but post Costa Concordia, I thought that was pretty crazy!

I just got off a cruise a few weeks back, where a member of the entertainment staff was drinking in between trivia/events in the Redfrog Pub on several occasions.

A few cruisers, including myself, even bought him drinks a few times.

He never seemed to be intoxicated, though.

I HAVE seen entertainment staff have more than a few. Especially the commedians and some of the folks in the bands. Doesn't bother me a bit, especially when they are buying!