Which Cruise Lines Still Do Formal Nights?

Creepella

I guess I'm just an old fuddy-duddy. I don't think that any cruiseline has "Formal" nights. Some may call it that, but as long as they accept a suit or a sport coat as acceptable gentleman's wear, it's not formal.

Formal wear for men means a tuxedo to me. A suit is at best semi-formal. Maybe I should restate that and say, "A suit used to mean at best semi-formal."

When I was educated about formal wear, gentlemen's options were black-tie or white-tie tuxedos. (or at least an off-white dinner jacket with tuxedo pants) I really miss those days, but certainly fashions have changed. If definitions keep going this way, and "formal" means the classiest way that people dress, formal will become khakis and a polo shirt. Casual wear will then devolve to pajama bottoms and T-shirts.

Sorry for the whining, but I just miss the elegance of the "good ol' days". Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn

Princess

RCL

DIsney

Celebrity

Clothing choices vary widely--not particularly by line, but by individual.

DH gave up a jacket some time ago (always dress shirt & tie) but it looks like Celebrity might require it. Darn--only 1 night on our cruise.

Isn't NCL the only one that officially doesn't have formal night?