Insurance Woes ...

djmess

[quote name='RuthlessBoss']If there are 2 people in a cabin and one cancels , the fare is returned to that person.[/quote]Minus any applicable cancellation penalty, up to 100%.[quote name='justhere']In those situations was the cancellation before or after final payment?[/quote]Both, but the interesting cases involve cancellations after final payment. I don't recall any recent examples for NCL but it is easy to find past threads where people say they ended up paying the equivalent of 3 fares (when only one person actually sailed) and they had to work it out with their insurance afterwards. (There are also examples where the cruise line doesn't charge the single supplement, again I don't know for sure how NCL does things.)

It does sound like the easiest thing in the OP's case is just to do nothing and let Grandma be a no-show. Unless the insurance would also cover her cancelled airfare. Edited by hawkeyetlse

[quote name='hawkeyetlse']Minus any applicable cancellation penalty, up to 100%.Both, but the interesting cases involve cancellations after final payment. I don't recall any recent examples for NCL but it is easy to find past threads where people say they ended up paying the equivalent of 3 fares (when only one person actually sailed) and they had to work it out with their insurance afterwards. (There are also examples where the cruise line doesn't charge the single supplement, again I don't know for sure how NCL does things.)

It does sound like the easiest thing in the OP's case is just to do nothing and let Grandma be a no-show. Unless the insurance would also cover her cancelled airfare.[/QUOTE]

I think what's going on is she's trying to get grandmas 1/5 of the fare. At one point, she said they got a statement with the fare being divided per person even though the reality is they are sort of chipping in a portion of cruiser 1 and 2 and all wind up paying less.

I hope the OP gets back to us with what the insurance does.

I'm the OP and I will definitely follow up this situation. The cruise is scheduled for Jan 17, so as of today about 45 days away. Right now there are 5 people in the cabin, a 2 bedroom suite. Grandma (4th passenger) will more than likely, 99%, NOT go on the cruise. She broke hip, and is currently in nursing home/rehab.

Now her daughter (my MIL) is saying she may not go as when 88 y/o Grandma is released from nursing home, she will need assistance at home. MIL is actually listed as the 2nd person on the reservation.

We will not make any decisions until a few days before our cruise. I will search for some other friends that may be able to join, but it is doubtful.

This cruise has been scheduled for over a year. There are already other family and friends that will be on board. It is a celebration for my 50th birthday and of Life, after my breast cancer battle, where I literally had my LAST Treatment yesterday!

Is this a headache, yes. Grandma has said we better all go on this cruise. MIL will make a decision as recovery progresses.

Who knows, maybe we will just show up to the port. Have the people who may not go, be noshows and go from there.

Right now things are so up in the air. I just made phone calls to the insurance company so I could have some knowledge. I'm only going by what they told me, which was I would fill in the claim form based on the fare associated with the person. They have it in their records. They told me the exact amounts for each person as listed.

We are in no way trying to defraud or get away with something with the insurance. All I've tried to do today is understand the entire process and what will work the best for all of us.

Ideally, we would love for EVERYONE to be able to go. It just doesn't look like that will happen at this point in time. But we do have 45 days.

The second best thing is to get another friend to join. I will begin working on that. 3 people in the room live in Florida (no airfare to worry about) 2 passengers live in NC. We are driving and staying with the family a couple days before the cruise. The arrangements were fine for the 5 of us as we are all family and one of which is a kid. When we start looking for another person, we have to remember that we will be in somewhat tight quarters, so it would have to be the right person.

Lastly and worst case is only 3 of us will travel in the cabin. Yes financially it will not be ideal, but, I just beat breast cancer and I JUST DON'T CARE. I have the fares covered. Life is way to short to stress too much over this.

Again, I was trying to inform people what info I got from the insurance agent. Haven't gone any further, but will post a follow up at the completion of the cruise with anything that we did and the results if any from an insurance claim.

If you all want to continue to talk about this, please do. I'm out and going to read and play on other threads and think positively!!!! Edited by djmess

[quote name='RuthlessBoss']I think what's going on is she's trying to get grandmas 1/5 of the fare.[/quote]Not a chance of that happening, in my opinion, but I would love to be proved wrong, for the OP's sake.

This is NCL's own insurance, so they know exactly how NCL pricing works. The fact that the premium was higher for passengers #1 and #2 makes it clear that passengers 3, 4, and 5 have lesser coverage (speaking only about the trip cancellation portion of the policy, not the medical coverage).

Would it be OK if the OP tried to cancel passenger #1 and the insurance rep said "We know this passenger officially paid $3000, but it's reasonable to assume that the 5 of you split the total cost of the stateroom evenly, so we're only refunding you $1300"?

I totally agree with what was just said: the cruise is paid for and it would be a shame to cancel, make the best of the trip given how things go in the next few weeks, and there are lots more important things to think about in the end than a $1000 insurance payout! Best wishes to you, djmess! Edited by hawkeyetlse

[quote name='djmess']I'm the OP and I will definitely follow up this situation. The cruise is scheduled for Jan 17,
::snip::
This cruise has been scheduled for over a year. There are already other family and friends that will be on board. It is a celebration for my 50th birthday and of Life, after my breast cancer battle, where I literally had my LAST Treatment yesterday!

Lastly and worst case is only 3 of us will travel in the cabin. Yes financially it will not be ideal, but, I just beat breast cancer and I JUST DON'T CARE. I have the fares covered. Life is way to short to stress too much over this.

Again, I was trying to inform people what info I got from the insurance agent. Haven't gone any further, but will post a follow up at the completion of the cruise with anything that we did and the results if any from an insurance claim.

If you all want to continue to talk about this, please do. I'm out and going to read and play on other threads and think positively!!!![/QUOTE]

First, Congrats on your last treatment! May you be "C free" FOREVER!

Second, I appreciate you posting your experience(s) with the insurance; very helpful in future plans.

Third, since the fares are covered, I think a "party" of 3 just may have been meant to be! Edited by asubaru
remove error

[quote name='djmess']I'm the OP and I will definitely follow up this situation. The cruise is scheduled for Jan 17, so as of today about 45 days away. Right now there are 5 people in the cabin, a 2 bedroom suite. Grandma (4th passenger) will more than likely, 99%, NOT go on the cruise. She broke hip, and is currently in nursing home/rehab.

Now her daughter (my MIL) is saying she may not go as when 88 y/o Grandma is released from nursing home, she will need assistance at home. MIL is actually listed as the 2nd person on the reservation.

We will not make any decisions until a few days before our cruise. I will search for some other friends that may be able to join, but it is doubtful.

[COLOR=red]This cruise has been scheduled for over a year. There are already other family and friends that will be on board. It is a celebration for my 50th birthday and of Life, after my breast cancer battle, where I literally had my LAST Treatment yesterday![/COLOR]

Is this a headache, yes. Grandma has said we better all go on this cruise. MIL will make a decision as recovery progresses.

Who knows, maybe we will just show up to the port. Have the people who may not go, be noshows and go from there.

Right now things are so up in the air. I just made phone calls to the insurance company so I could have some knowledge. I'm only going by what they told me, which was I would fill in the claim form based on the fare associated with the person. They have it in their records. They told me the exact amounts for each person as listed.

We are in no way trying to defraud or get away with something with the insurance. All I've tried to do today is understand the entire process and what will work the best for all of us.

[COLOR=red]Ideally, we would love for EVERYONE to be able to go. It just doesn't look like that will happen at this point in time. But we do have 45 days.[/COLOR]

The second best thing is to get another friend to join. I will begin working on that. 3 people in the room live in Florida (no airfare to worry about) 2 passengers live in NC. We are driving and staying with the family a couple days before the cruise. The arrangements were fine for the 5 of us as we are all family and one of which is a kid. When we start looking for another person, we have to remember that we will be in somewhat tight quarters, so it would have to be the right person.

If you all want to continue to talk about this, please do. I'm out and going to read and play on other threads and think positively!!!![/quote]

Just in case you do check back and I'm hoping you do I pray that your treatment has cured you and that you remain in good health for many more years (and cruises). I also pray that grandma heals quickly and that she will be able to go with you. It's not the first time an elderly person overcomes something quickly. I know as my mom kicked cancer's butt and healed from a broken hip to live many more years until last summer. I truly do hope she can go and that you cherish the time spent with her. Happy 50th!!! Bon Voyage!:D

[quote name='sparks1093']It is my understanding that you don't have to buy insurance for all passengers through the cruise line, you could have (possibly at least) purchased grandma's insurance through NCL and third party insurance for everyone else. I don't see why you should be charged the going rate at this point but your first post seemed to suggest that you were being charged more for the change (although if you tried to add someone to take grandma's place they might charge you the going rate for that change).[/QUOTE]

Surely you don't need to purchase any insurance from NCL. We are travelling as a group of three individuals, and all have annual travel insurance, which includes cruise cover.
Sorry this is slightly going off topic.

[quote name='Trevor Fountain']Surely you don't need to purchase any insurance from NCL. We are travelling as a group of three individuals, and all have annual travel insurance, which includes cruise cover.
Sorry this is slightly going off topic.[/QUOTE]

Of course you don't need to purchase NCL's insurance, but for people over a certain age it can be advantageous to do so because their pricing does not take age into account as a third party policy does. But I don't think that it's all or nothing when it comes to purchasing NCL insurance- one traveler may buy it while everyone else doesn't.

[quote name='djmess']To elaborate further on my confusion. NCL was paid. NCL is not refunding me money. The insurance company is.

I look at it like this. I have a car that is paid in full. The car company got their money. I buy insurance on my car. It is totaled, the insurance company pays me a value for the car. I dont have to go back and give the money to the car company because they slready received it.

Does that help explain my confusion?[/quote]

So, the moral of the story is to put some expendable people as person 1 and 2, real travellers as 3,4,5,6, then a few months before, throw 1 and 2 under a bus, claim on the insurance, and 3,4,5,6 get a really cheap cruise.

Even better, book the Garden Villa, and make the bus throwing really worthwhile.

Tongue in cheek of course, but Im not sure how the insurance should work in this case. Edited by Froggitt

There was a similar situation a while back that was posted. I don't remember the cruise line or poster. However, there were two adults and two children on a 3-4th passenger in a cabin free deal. The poster considered the children the third-fourth passengers.

One of the adults canceled and the poster was upset because the insurance company would not refund the fare equivalent to the 1st or 2nd passenger fare. The cancelling adult was considered by the insurance company to be the 4th passenger in the cabin and one of the children to be the second passenger. Therefore, no money was refunded on fare as the cruise line returned the taxes/port fee costs.

The lesson seems to be that when multiple passengers are in a room with special promotion rates for the 3-4 passenger (or more or children), the first passenger to cancel will be considered by the insurance company to be the lowest passenger rate paid for that cabin. If another passenger in the cabin cancels, then he is considered to have the next lowest fare and it continues up the line to passenger 1.

Whatever arrangements that have been made by the cabin occupants to split the fare does not come into play.

If a "free" passenger cancels, but has split the cost of the entire cabin evenly with the other occupants, the remaining occupants will need to pony up that person's share and pay that passenger back themselves. Edited by Homosassa

[quote name='Homosassa']There was a similar situation a while back that was posted. I don't remember the cruise line or poster. However, there were two adults and two children on a 3-4th passenger in a cabin free deal. The poster considered the children the third-fourth passengers.

One of the adults canceled and the poster was upset because the insurance company would not refund the fare equivalent to the 1st or 2nd passenger fare. The cancelling adult was considered by the insurance company to be the 4th passenger in the cabin and one of the children to be the second passenger. Therefore, no money was refunded on fare as the cruise line returned the taxes/port fee costs.

The lesson seems to be that when multiple passengers are in a room with special promotion rates for the 3-4 passenger (or more or children), the first passenger to cancel will be considered by the insurance company to be the lowest passenger rate paid for that cabin. If another passenger in the cabin cancels, then he is considered to have the next lowest fare and it continues up the line to passenger 1.

Whatever arrangements that have been made by the cabin occupants to split the fare does not come into play.

If a "free" passenger cancels, but has split the cost of the entire cabin evenly with the other occupants, the remaining occupants will need to pony up that person's share and pay that passenger back themselves.[/QUOTE]

I would think that some people think they can outsmart an insurance claim so as to reduce the cost over all. Insurance is wise to this tactic.

A free passenger should not be reimbursed just because they were part of chipping in on the cruise itself. After all, that person was really a free fare in the promotion.

So just take Grandma on the trip, have her take a fall on the first day so insurance will cover the evacuation, and BINGO! Grandma is out of your hair and you aren't out a dime, problem solved!

If you think this sounds callous, it is.

But is it any worse than you complaining about the insurance company not giving you what you don't have coming?

As I think I pointed out earlier in this thread we are 4 adults sharing a 2 bedroom DOS equally. We are not getting a 'break' on the price. There was no 'special'...no 3rd or 4th person travelling free. But, when I look at the way they break down the rate it's as I posted previously; the 3rd & 4th passenger are paying 10% of what the actual room cost is. So where would that leave us in the event of the 3rd or 4th listed passenger cancelling? These cabins are sold as 4 person suites (and more). Why can't they divide the invoice into 4 equal parts when it's obviously 4 adults travelling? Hopefully this won't be an issue for us but I'm sure we're not the only people who might get caught by this situation.
Maybe I'm missing something and someone can enlighten me?

Sandra Edited by Samstress

Why wouldn't NCL divide the total cost up into 4 separate invoices or to accommodate the late change? Simple. It wasn't part of the contract terms when you signed on. NCL is prepared to honor its end of the deal as is and it expects you to do the same.

[quote name='Samstress']As I think I pointed out earlier in this thread we are 4 adults sharing a 2 bedroom DOS equally. We are not getting a 'break' on the price. There was no 'special'...no 3rd or 4th person travelling free. But, when I look at the way they break down the rate it's as I posted previously; the 3rd & 4th passenger are paying 10% of what the actual room cost is. So where would that leave us in the event of the 3rd or 4th listed passenger cancelling? These cabins are sold as 4 person suites (and more). Why can't they divide the invoice into 4 equal parts when it's obviously 4 adults travelling? Hopefully this won't be an issue for us but I'm sure we're not the only people who might get caught by this situation.
Maybe I'm missing something and someone can enlighten me?

Sandra[/QUOTE]

Oops...I guess I should have made it clear that I am not the originator of this thread. I was just commenting on the situation that many might find themselves in.