Patch vs non drousy dramamine

happytovacation

First off I would say they should check with their doctors!!

As a retired RN, I would be inclined to go with OTC meds, as "the patch" can have some very unpleasant side effects, a few of which I would not wish on anyone, such as blurred vision, confusion, difficulty urinating.

Other alternatives that might be considered would be ginger capsules, and/or Sea Bands.

There's a very good chance that: a) you won't notice any motion on the ship at all and b) your daughter and granddaughter won't suffer from seasickness even if the ship does have some motion.

But, assuming you want to "expect the best, but prepare for the worst", I would definitely begin with the least medicinal remedy which would be ginger tablets or capsules. I am prone to seasickness and always take a supply of ginger tablets with me on cruises but I have yet to ever need them. (The cruise ships have great stabilizers and the captain sails to avoid swells.)

If the ginger tablets/capsules are not effective, then you could move up to an OTC remedy such as Dramamine or Bonine.

There's a very good chance that: a) you won't notice any motion on the ship at all and b) your daughter and granddaughter won't suffer from seasickness even if the ship does have some motion.

But, assuming you want to "expect the best, but prepare for the worst", I would definitely begin with the least medicinal remedy which would be ginger tablets or capsules. I am prone to seasickness and always take a supply of ginger tablets with me on cruises but I have yet to ever need them. (The cruise ships have great stabilizers and the captain sails to avoid swells.)

If the ginger tablets/capsules are not effective, then you could move up to an OTC remedy such as Dramamine or Bonine.

Glad to see that someone has already recommended ginger. It has proven it's worth to us and several friends to whom it was suggested. In fact, ginger has a very calming affect on stomach aches in general.

Enjoy your cruise :) :)

I always use the patch..prescribed by my doctor. If you are small in stature or are very sensitive to drugs, it is possible to cut the patch in half and use only a portion at a time to cut down on the strength and possible side effects.. Your doctor knows you and should be the one to recommend how or if you can use the patch.. Personally, I find it effective, convenient and suffer no lasting side effects..

We used the patch on our first cruise (25 years ago) but haven't since. I am fortunate, so far, to have enjoyed the motion on cruise ships. The only slightest twinge of seasickness I've felt has been in tenders and on ferries (especially the one from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen). DH takes Bonine every morning on a cruise. I'll take one if we're going to be on a tender or ferry. I also take along some crystallized ginger. It's more because I like the taste of it than for its soothing properties.

Yep ...

Ginger looks good ...

Patch ... not so much

Reasons NOT to use the patch:

Do not drive, use machinery, participate in underwater activities, or do any activity that requires alertness or clear vision until you are sure you can perform such activities safely. Avoid alcoholic beverages.

Blurred vision and widened pupils may occur as your body adjusts to the medication. Dry mouth, drowsiness, dizziness, decreased sweating, constipation, and mild itching/redness on application site

may decrease your ability to sweat, making you more likely to get heat stroke. Avoid activities that may cause you to overheat (such as doing strenuous work/exercise in hot weather, using hot tubs).

mental/mood changes (such as confusion, agitation), difficulty urinating, eye problems (pain/pressure/reddening of the eyes along with widened pupils), fast/irregular heartbeat

After stopping this medication, you may experience dizziness, loss of balance, nausea/vomiting, headache, muscle weakness, or slow heartbeat.

Usual Pediatric Dose for Motion Sickness

Greater than 12 years:

Edited by MauiLvrs

I always use the patch..prescribed by my doctor. If you are small in stature or are very sensitive to drugs, it is possible to cut the patch in half and use only a portion at a time to cut down on the strength and possible side effects.. Your doctor knows you and should be the one to recommend how or if you can use the patch.. Personally, I find it effective, convenient and suffer no lasting side effects..

I use the patch and change it every other night. I sway back and forth if I don't. I don't get sick per say,,,,,just have the permanent rocking motion. Even when I get off the ship. After changing the patch more frequently I don't sway.

I use ginger for nausea at home. Love it. I use the oil now.

Where would I get the ginger tablets from????? I have used the Bonine before and it put me to sleep for 2 days... so I would rather not take it again.We are on a Transatlantic next year and I might need some for that. We sail on Saturday on the Crown but I have never felt much movement on the Pacific coast but if I find out where to get it before then I will grab it ...

I always use the patch. The reason people get blurred vision is because they don't wash their hands properly afterword and then touch there eyes. I am really careful to use soap and water and wash them a good long time. Ginger is also good. You should be able to find it at Wal-Mart or GNC.

Candi

Absolutely take something with you, because if it is their first cruise you don't know if they will get seasick or not. My son was seasick on his first cruise and was miserable until the meds kicked in (Bonine pills). He took one every night for the rest of the cruise and was fine. Then on our second cruise it was my daughter who got sick - and she was fine on the first cruise - and she couldn't keep the Bonine down so I used the ear patches (that I had packed just in case). Since she was only nine years old at the time, I cut the patch and used only one-fourth of it on her. It worked like a charm - she was fine within the hour and never felt seasick again for the rest of the cruise. No side effects at all. You just never know how the ocean will affect people until they are there. It's best to bring the meds along with you, because you can buy Bonine (or its equivalent, less-drowsy Dramamine) at Walmart or Target much cheaper than onboard the ship - and sometimes the ship only has the drowsy version. You do need a prescription to get the scopolamine ear patches, but I just told our doctor that we were going on a cruise and she called in the prescription for me. Even if you don't end up needing them on your cruise, it's still safer to have them with you. If you needed to buy them on your cruise (mainly if the poor person can't keep pills down), you would have to go to the ship medical center to get them from the doctor onboard - and that runs the risk of them thinking that it could be norovirus instead of seasickness and might confine you to your cabin or something.

Yep ...

Ginger looks good ...

Patch ... not so much

Reasons NOT to use the patch:

Do not drive, use machinery, participate in underwater activities, or do any activity that requires alertness or clear vision until you are sure you can perform such activities safely. Avoid alcoholic beverages.

Blurred vision and widened pupils may occur as your body adjusts to the medication. Dry mouth, drowsiness, dizziness, decreased sweating, constipation, and mild itching/redness on application site

may decrease your ability to sweat, making you more likely to get heat stroke. Avoid activities that may cause you to overheat (such as doing strenuous work/exercise in hot weather, using hot tubs).

mental/mood changes (such as confusion, agitation), difficulty urinating, eye problems (pain/pressure/reddening of the eyes along with widened pupils), fast/irregular heartbeat

After stopping this medication, you may experience dizziness, loss of balance, nausea/vomiting, headache, muscle weakness, or slow heartbeat.

Usual Pediatric Dose for Motion Sickness

Greater than 12 years:

You are putting too many:(s on them! Let's spin this another way...

1) Do not drive, use machinery, participate in underwater activities, or do any activity that requires alertness or clear vision until you are sure you can perform such activities safely. Avoid alcoholic beverages.

--already on vacation, so no machinery/true alertness needed AND augments the impact of the watered down booze the cruise line sells. BONUS!

2) Dry mouth, drowsiness, dizziness, decreased sweating, constipation, and mild itching/redness on application site.

--dry mouth means you're more apt to imbibe on those augmented drinkipoos. The "backed up" means you're not as apt to need/use the industrial sandpaper TP provided.

3) may decrease your ability to sweat

--deodorant savings can the be applied to your larger bar tab.

4) mental/mood changes (such as confusion, agitation), fast/irregular heartbeat

--the folks around you who love you will be the ones who deal with these, and as they love you they will understand and the faster heartbeat makes all the excursions feel like you're truly having an adventure!

5) After stopping this medication, you may experience dizziness, loss of balance, nausea/vomiting, headache, muscle weakness, or slow heartbeat.

--with all these :Ds, there is not a reason to stop the meds!

See! ;)

Edited by Viesczy

First off, I would advise the daughter to call her doctor and then call her daughter's pediatrician. Especially if either is currently on prescriptions or are taking OTC on a regular basis.

Then if the doctor says don't worry, you can take ----, try it out ahead of time on land to see if there's side effects for you. What affects one person negatively might be okay for another (as you can see from the above comments).

Personally, many medications make me drowsy including even some that are marked non-drowsy formula. I like to buy ginger chews and crystallized ginger (many grocery stores carry the latter; both you can get at specialty stores such as Cost Plus World Markets or some ethnic markets). Ginger pills should be available at many drug stores; just ask at the counter. Amazon may be a good source, but again, get it plenty of time to try out ahead of time. If you're on blood thinners, you will be advised against taking ginger by your doctor.

If you find two or things that you don't get side effects from, then take those along. Sometimes you have to start taking something at least a few hours before sailing.

And some people don't feel sick from sea motion. Both my hubby and daughter don't get sea sick.

Non-drowsy bonine or dramamine puts me to sleep, also. I used it a couple of years ago and even though it worked for seasickness, I just wanted to sleep for the rest of the day! I tried the patch for the first time last month because we were taking a couple of small boat excursions, and small boats really do me in. It worked like a charm, and the only side effect I had was dry mouth/throat. I just drank lots of water. I took it off when the two excursions were done and didn't use another one. I've tried ginger and sea bands but they don't help me at all on small boats.

I am severely motion sick. I get sick in a car, on an airplane etc. God forbid I try to read while in motion. But I will not be held away from cruising! What works for me: take 2 days before travel and after travel one Bonine early in the morning. While you are on the ship take one pill every morning even if you do not feel sick. The secret for me is to get ahead of the sea sickness. Bonine has no side effects at all for me. Hope this helps.

I always use the patch. The reason people get blurred vision is because they don't wash their hands properly afterword and then touch there eyes. I am really careful to use soap and water and wash them a good long time. Ginger is also good. You should be able to find it at Wal-Mart or GNC.

Candi

That could happen, but is NOT necessarily the reason people experience problems with the patch. The drug in the patches is Scopalomine, and blurred vision, along with a number of other negative symptoms (listed in a previous post) are SIDE EFFECTS of that particular medication that can occur in some users while wearing the patch. If they do occur, the patch needs to be removed immediately.

I can go to sleep on an extra strength aspirin so the patch is the way to go for me. I use a half one and change it every day and a half. The only side effect I have ever had is some dry mouth. I agree; if you wash your hands after application (and frequent hand washing should be happening on a ship anyway) there is little chance of blurred vision. I have tried virtually everything else and nothing works as well for me. I am horribly seasick but don't want to stop cruising, so as long as the patches are available, I'm sold.

Where would I get the ginger tablets from????? I have used the Bonine before and it put me to sleep for 2 days... so I would rather not take it again.We are on a Transatlantic next year and I might need some for that. We sail on Saturday on the Crown but I have never felt much movement on the Pacific coast but if I find out where to get it before then I will grab it ...

Ginger capsules can be found in any drug store, pharmacy section of a supermarket, Target/Walmart or natural food store. For example, I just looked at the Target.com website and a bottle of Nature's Bounty Ginger Root Capsules (550mg) costs $8.19 for 100 capsules.

I believe the scopolamine patch also is not recommended for use for more than 3 days in a row. My son used the patch after surgery for post op nausea. It helped by the dry mouth was really bad (his opinion).

The Meclizine on the other hand, I bought over the counter at Walmart. It is available at most pharmacies over the counter or you can even order it off Amazon. It came in either 12.5 or 25Mg. Last cruise I bought the 12.5Mg and that worked just fine. No dizziness at all. This time I bought the 12Mg because I figured I could cut the tabs in half. (turns out they are a bit on the small size to bother with. (each bottle came with 100 count) They sold over the counter at Walmart for ~$6-7.

The drug of choice for most cruise ship physicians (which is also sold or given away on most ships) is Bonine (Meclizine Hcl). This is over the counter in the USA although we hear it cannot be found in Canada. You only need to take a single Bonine every day and if you take it at bedtime you should have little problem with it making you sleepy during the day.

As to Transderm Scop (the patch), they work well for some folks and have nasty side effects for other folks. In the case of DW, after 2 or 3 days on the patch she can no longer read a book because of blurred vision. One HAL cruise ship physician (a personal friend) used to tell patch tales at dinner and his favorite was the elderly lady found wondering the halls of one of ships. The lady was totally naked! She also was suffering from hallucinations. Granted this type of side effect is rare, but it does happen.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner