How can I get a price adjustment on a February cruise that's paid for?

bahama bride

My cruise cost went down and I would save a thousand dollars if I got a price adjustment. Someone said that you can cancel and rebook if that happens, but will that incur extra fees? Also, I have an island wedding associated with the cruise, so I'm hoping that won't cause me any problems. Thank you!!

My cruise cost went down and I would save a thousand dollars if I got a price adjustment. Someone said that you can cancel and rebook if that happens, but will that incur extra fees? Also, I have an island wedding associated with the cruise, so I'm hoping that won't cause me any problems. Thank you!!
Check with your travel agent if you booked through one or your cruise line if you booked direct. I know that on Princess, the penalty for canceling a cruise (even if you're rebooking it) is the deposit amount after the final payment date until 57 days before the cruise. From 56 days until 29 days before the cruise, it's 50 percent of the total cost.

First step is to contact your Travel Agent or the cruise line (whoever you booked thru). If you have not reached the final payment date, you should be able to get an adjustment.

If final payment has been made and the due date is past, it is tougher. Most price drops after final payment are for new booking only.

Be very careful before you try to cancel and rebook. First, if you are past final payment and cancel, there will be a penalty. So you will not get all your money back. It may be your deposit, but could be more. Check the cruise line's policies. Each has their own policies.

If you cancel, you may not get your current cabin back when you rebook. It could be booked by someone else during the short time it is not yours.

If you have OBC on the original booking, you may lose it.

I am not sure about the island wedding, but ask lots of questions before doing anything.

Worst case is that the ship sells out before you get rebooked and you do not have a cruise. With the discount you are seeing, that sounds unlikely. But be sure.

OP is doing a Feb 1, 2015 NCL cruise. Probably past final payment now. Lot's of issues, best to hope for is an upgrade or some OBC, certainly not $1000!

The OP states that the cruise is paid for. Per the cruise contract the OP agreed to when booking, they are not eligible for a reduced fare after final payment has been made. But, in some cases they may be allowed to book a higher category room if the price is higher and the OP is willing to pay the difference. Very few lines offer OBC in such cases.

To the OP: You agreed to this condition when you booked, which was at a price you thought was fair at the time. Do as most of us do in such a situation - accept it and then forget about it so you can enjoy your cruise.

The OP very clearly stated in her opening thread line that the cruise was already paid for.

Bahamas Bride...I don't think anybody has a decisive answers for you. Work with your TA (if you used one) or directly with the cruise line to see what they can do for you.

Good luck...that is a good chunk of change. Think positive!

How did you book? If through a travel agents, call him or her and tell them to get the cruise line change your invoice (not to rebook, just to change the price). If through the cruise website, call the 800 number and talk to any agent. Ask them to email an adjusted invoice. It always better to have something in writing.

The OP states that the cruise is paid for. Per the cruise contract the OP agreed to when booking, they are not eligible for a reduced fare after final payment has been made. But, in some cases they may be allowed to book a higher category room if the price is higher and the OP is willing to pay the difference. Very few lines offer OBC in such cases.

Some cruise lines go by the actual Final Payment Date not the date that the pax paid off the cruise.

Some cruise lines go by the actual Final Payment Date not the date that the pax paid off the cruise.

Since the OP's cruise is in February but did not specify the exact date, they could very well have already passed the final payment date. Most lines use a 70 day window, so based on his posting date any cruise before Feb 12th would be past final payment date. I answered on the basis that most people do NOT pay for their cruise in full until they have to, so I made the assumption that the OP has already passed that final payment date.

Edited by fortinweb

I do hope that OP can receive some OBC, or possibly an upgrade, because it is natural to fee a loss if people who come along later get a better deal. But OP did get something that those late-comers did: the knowledge that he would enjoy a cabin he picked out, on a sailing he wanted, and the certainty of arrangements which make planning the island wedding possible.

I do have one question: if the fare had gone up a lot because of great demand - would he consider, for half a second, a request from the line that he pay more because he paid so little in advance for an itinerary whose value has skyrocketed?

I understand his hoping that the line would give him something -- but he does no appear to be entitled to any discount.

Sorry, but you're not "entitled" to anything after final payment date, which you are, knowing your cruise is in Feb. This is just the way of the cruising world. If you cancel and rebook, you run the risk of losing the cabin you chose because once the booking is cancelled, your cabin goes back into inventory and literally thousands have a shot at booking it. At this late date you will incur a monetary penalty, not to mention any perks you may have received could be lost.

Look at it this way---if your fare had gone up, would you be happy if the cruise line wanted more money from you?

I do hope that OP can receive some OBC, or possibly an upgrade, because it is natural to fee a loss if people who come along later get a better deal. But OP did get something that those late-comers did: the knowledge that he would enjoy a cabin he picked out, on a sailing he wanted, and the certainty of arrangements which make planning the island wedding possible.

I do have one question: if the fare had gone up a lot because of great demand - would he consider, for half a second, a request from the line that he pay more because he paid so little in advance for an itinerary whose value has skyrocketed?

I understand his hoping that the line would give him something -- but he does no appear to be entitled to any discount.

Why should they be given anything? When someone purchases airfare and the prices go down afterwards, do the airlines give them something back for their disappointment? NO! When someone purchase a new car and the next week there is a sale, does the dealer give them something back to ease their disappointment? NO!

That's life, and no one promised that it was fair. If a person decides to purchase something, they thought the price was reasonable at the time. If the price drops afterwards, that does not change the fact that the person was satisfied with the price when they made the purchase. The world doesn't owe anyone anything. If a person can't handle the fact that someone may be paying less for something, then they should not be purchasing that item in the first place.

As navybankerteacher says, the cruise lines don't require people to pay even more if the fare goes up. So people should be reasonable and quit complaining if the price goes down.

Edited by fortinweb

OP mentioned in their only other post they made that they will be on a Feb 1 cruise on the Breakaway.

They have made final payment. They should not cancel their cruise and rebook. They will incur cancellation fees.

Maybe their TA can get them something.

As to their island wedding -- hope that the ship doesn't miss that port. I am gathering by OP's name that they are getting married in the Bahamas.