RCCL just said FOS Eastern could "possibly" turn Western

We are scheduled to leave on FOS Eastern itinerary on December 14. Due to the issues with the ship, I called RCCL to inquire about info related to the itinerary changes that are speculated. The agent told me that today he received an email that FOS departing the 7th will have modified arrival/departure times into port, but the (western) itinerary will remain the same. I inquired about our sailing and he said there have not been any official emails yet, but the FOS cannot accommodate the full eastern itinerary as is. He said it's "possibly likely" that they will make our eastern itinerary into a western.

This is pretty devastating to us, as we would have never booked a Western itinerary. We don't do the beach, we'll have a preschool age child and 2 elderly parents with us, so the excursions of the Western are not able to accommodate our group. If this changes to Western- what are our options on the islands with our group? Will we be allowed to cancel? Thank you.

I personally found more for us to do in Western than Eastern but I can understand your disappointment. With regards to cancellation, only Royal Caribbean can answer what they will be able to do IF they change your itinerary.

There are always various island tours, avoiding beach trips, that can be arranged.

Hope it goes OK for you.

Edited by Cruisingthesuitelife

RCCL reserves the right to change the itinerary, it's documented in all cruise contracts which probably none of us reads. So, if they do change it to a Western then your probably out of luck unless RCCL wants to be nice.

Happy Cruising...

We are scheduled to leave on FOS Eastern itinerary on December 14. Due to the issues with the ship, I called RCCL to inquire about info related to the itinerary changes that are speculated. The agent told me that today he received an email that FOS departing the 7th will have modified arrival/departure times into port, but the (western) itinerary will remain the same. I inquired about our sailing and he said there have not been any official emails yet, but the FOS cannot accommodate the full eastern itinerary as is. He said it's "possibly likely" that they will make our eastern itinerary into a western.

This is pretty devastating to us, as we would have never booked a Western itinerary. We don't do the beach, we'll have a preschool age child and 2 elderly parents with us, so the excursions of the Western are not able to accommodate our group. If this changes to Western- what are our options on the islands with our group? Will we be allowed to cancel? Thank you.

Sometimes it's hard to swallow but if you cruise enough times you run into itinerary changes that are sometimes drastic. You just have to make the best of it. Edited by FLACRUISER99

You will be fine, enjoy the cruise !

Sometimes it's hard to swallow but if you cruise enough times you run into itinerary changes that are sometimes drastic. You just have to make the best of it.

I agree and most any itinerary change is not a huge issue for us, especially just going from Eastern to Western or Western to Eastern.

But, think back to when you were a new cruiser. Many folks are first-time cruisers, or only get to cruise every couple of years. They may have their heart set on a specific location. Have you ever been on a cruise when a port was canceled. If you are like us, you just chalk it up to the cruise experience and enjoy the new "sea day". But, folks who are on their first cruise or maybe only get to cruise every couple years have a much different view of that canceled port. I usually feel so sad for those folks who are crying at guest services when the ship does not make it to Coco a Cay.

I can certainly understand why many would be upset with the drastic itinerary change. We are sailing at the end of the month and honestly don't care where the ship goes, as long as it makes a few stops. In fact (to be selfish) the best scenario for us is some type of change in itinerary and then for RCCL to offer the passengers some sort future cruise credit or OBC for the inconvenience.

Whatever the case will be, it would be nice if RCCL would give a heads up

M

If the change is due to propulsion problems with the ship, it is possible that they would offer you the opportunity to change to one of their ships that is doing the Eastern itinerary. It might mean a slight change in your departure date and would depend on availability of space on the other ship, but it would be worth exploring that option with them if it becomes necessary. You might also want to consider what the Eastern itinerary really offers (aside from the actual ports of call) that wouldn't be available if you are switched to a western routing. Both offer Caribbean beaches, shopping and sites of historic interest.:)

As others have said you take your chances with itinerary changes, but maybe with an entire route change they would let you reschedule. The best thing is to call and ask what your options are. I do not understand your statement that the Western itinerary excursions would not accommodate your group. Many children and elderly people have a great time on the Western itinerary. Cozumel is a wonderful port. You say you do not do beaches, but on the Eastern itinerary CoCo Cay is all beach. I hope you have a great cruise where ever you go.

Wonder what they are going to do with the couples that had planned on going to St Thomas so they can be married on St John. I have been to St Thomas on several cruises and would see several couples getting off with their wedding gowns. I would be very upset if I had planned my wedding for St John and then be told sorry we are not going their and not offer you any other options. The only other cruise that I have seen leaving on the 14th and going to St Maarten and St Thomas is the Oasis of the Sea and it is booked.

Sorry! Im sure it is frustrating having the plans change. We have done both the eastern and western, and I can tell you I prefer western. If you go to Cozumel I highly suggest paradise beach. I know you said you dont do beaches, but it also has a beautiful pool area and a great open air restaurant. Its a very pretty resort and an easy taxi ride to it. Hope you have a wonderful time wherever your vacation takes you!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

We just did Western with 2 little ones in tow. We did a great walking/culinary tour in Jamaica that might be a good non-beach option (we left the kids on the ship so we could have a date, but the tour was relaxed and they could have come along). We had been planning in the Turtle Farm and Seven-mile beach in Cayman but didn't get to go ashore due to waves/wind (no compensation from Royal, we just took it as a bonus sea day...sadly this was the port DH had been most excited about). Cozumel we did a relaxing beach day, but I think there are lots of other options too.

As someone else mentioned, if you are set on Eastern, maybe see if they will let you change ships? That might be easier said than done though as Freedom is out of PC so you would likely have to change departure ports.

I am also on that sailing and really hope that does not happen. I would much rather not go to one port than change the itinerary all together. Only because we have already done Western and purposely pick Eastern since we haven't been to any of those ports before. We will have a great time regardless, I am just really hoping for Eastern. I'll be crossing fingers, too!

This is pretty devastating to us, as we would have never booked a Western itinerary. We don't do the beach, we'll have a preschool age child and 2 elderly parents with us, so the excursions of the Western are not able to accommodate our group.

What excursions have you booked for your current, Eastern itinerary?

Hoping the best for you. I totally understand. I don't cruise to hang on the ship, I cruise to see different areas of the world. I do extensive research on each port and plan what we are going to do, and would be upset if the itinerary changed without enough notice for me to research other ports and plan something there instead. Considering the cruise is 7 days away, that wouldn't be nearly enough time to research other excursions (work, kids in school, etc).

I totally get how upset you would be if there was an itinerary change, but I agree with others who have said that you probably will not be offered anything in compensation or any opportunity to change ships. Others have had experienices in the past where Bermuda cruises turned into Canada/New England cruises because of weather, and they were not offered anything.

If you let us know what kinds of things you enjoy, we can make suggestions. On our upcoming cruise we booked a chocolate factory tour for Cozumel. That might be fun to do with your family. Or you could go see Mayan Ruins, swim with dolphins. There are many non-beach options available for most ports.

We just did Western with 2 little ones in tow. We did a great walking/culinary tour in Jamaica that might be a good non-beach option (we left the kids on the ship so we could have a date, but the tour was relaxed and they could have come along). We had been planning in the Turtle Farm and Seven-mile beach in Cayman but didn't get to go ashore due to waves/wind (no compensation from Royal, we just took it as a bonus sea day...sadly this was the port DH had been most excited about). Cozumel we did a relaxing beach day, but I think there are lots of other options too.

As someone else mentioned, if you are set on Eastern, maybe see if they will let you change ships? That might be easier said than done though as Freedom is out of PC so you would likely have to change departure ports.

We will be in Jamaica the week of New Years. Your tour sounds interesting. Was it a ship tour or a private one?

I totally get how upset you would be if there was an itinerary change, but I agree with others who have said that you probably will not be offered anything in compensation or any opportunity to change ships. Others have had experienices in the past where Bermuda cruises turned into Canada/New England cruises because of weather, and they were not offered anything.

That is not necessarily true. The folks on the Oasis back in June when it had propeller problems got compensated in the form of OBC for being around 3 hours late getting into St. Thomas. They did not even miss a port

Edited by molly361

Two different animals.

From what I have seen RCI does not offer compensation for weather related changes to itineraries.

For ship related issues they have offered various forms of compensation.

We are on 12/14 sailing of freedom. I was on phone last night with RCCL for 75 minutes. Spoke with customer service, got transferred to resolutions, then again to Supervisor in Resolutions. I asked one simple question. Can the Freedom make it to St. Martin and St,. Thomas given it's current mechanical situation. They would not answer me. They just said they were unaware of any changes to the itinerary. I heard that 30 times. My daughter is on Freedom now. Of course, that itinerary got botched big time! I booked this solely on Eastern Itinerary as our last sailing on Eastern Freedom did not get to stop at St. Thomas because of medical evacs. I understand things happen, but I am most upset because they know already whether or not it can make it, and personally, I'm betting it can't. I just wish they would be honest with us and let us know what is going on. This is not weather related or "act of God",....it is a mechanical problem. Be upfront with us. My guess is we will not be made aware of status until we arrive at port. :(

We are on 12/14 sailing of freedom. I was on phone last night with RCCL for 75 minutes. Spoke with customer service, got transferred to resolutions, then again to Supervisor in Resolutions. I asked one simple question. Can the Freedom make it to St. Martin and St,. Thomas given it's current mechanical situation. They would not answer me. They just said they were unaware of any changes to the itinerary. I heard that 30 times. My daughter is on Freedom now. Of course, that itinerary got botched big time! I booked this solely on Eastern Itinerary as our last sailing on Eastern Freedom did not get to stop at St. Thomas because of medical evacs. I understand things happen, but I am most upset because they know already whether or not it can make it, and personally, I'm betting it can't. I just wish they would be honest with us and let us know what is going on. This is not weather related or "act of God",....it is a mechanical problem. Be upfront with us. My guess is we will not be made aware of status until we arrive at port. :(

We are right after you sailing a modified Eastern itinerary on the 21'st. It will be very close on times as they are currently only able to have a max speed of about 18.5 to 18.9 knots that I have seen

The biggest issue is getting back from St. Maarten to Canaveral in time.

Unfortunately they don't tell the people that answer the phones a whole lot.