Beach Umbrellas for Unshaded Balconies?

SeaMystique

Hi all,

Somewhere on these boards someone wrote that they always bring an inexpensive beach umbrella on board if they are staying in a room with an unshaded balcony. The poster mentioned securing the umbrella with bungee cords.

Today we did a BVE on the Crown here in Los Angeles, and the Dolphin deck steward was kind enough to show us an unoccupied minisuite. The sun beating down on that balcony was intense-- and it was only about 73 degrees here today, so imagine it in Panama (where we are booked, on the Island, leaving 2/19/15 out of FLL).

We agreed that shade will be needed, so I remembered the beach-umbrella idea.

Anyone ever see this done on Princess? Any other suggestions for finding/improvising shade on a minisuite balcony?

Our room is "guaranteed", but Princess hasn't told us yet exactly where we will be. I suspect the Dolphin deck because that's where all but 4 of the mini suites are, apparently.

Thanks in advance,

Sylvia

I've never seen an umbrella and when the ship is moving the winds can get quite strong. Princess probably would not allow it for safety reasons. With a guarantee, the chances are good you will be assigned a Dolphin deck mini.

We don't like the exposed balconies either and always book one of the covered Emerald deck minis and have our booking marked Do Not Upgrade. Check pricing and availability for the minis on Emerald deck and consider moving.

There are several mini-suites on Emerald deck that are fully covered and private. Far more than just four. If you've booked a GTY, you will most likely get a Dolphin deck mini-suite, sun and all. Doubt you'd be allowed to bring a beach umbrella because once underway, it could blow away. Ship's have to adhere to strict environmental regulations.

Whether there's sun on the balcony will depend on the direction the ship is sailing and time of day.

I've never understood why someone would book a mini-suite GTY since there usually isn't any price advantage. An "upgrade" is the exact same cabin in a different location. There's no other difference. Maybe I'm biased because I prefer the Emerald deck mini's.

Here is a link to a webpage that shows which of the Islands balconies are either covered, partially covered, or not covered.

We were just on the Coral and our near the aft balcony on the Dolphin deck was covered. The Island has minis on several decks. You might consider finding a covered one in an area you like and choose it on your booking, and then mark it to not upgrade.

http://www.islandpanama.org/meet-the-ship/covered-balcony-guide/

Princess is pretty proactive re fire hazards/balconies..

depends on the cameras/stewards/neighbors---they might be sensitive to this (star princess fire).

Princess has since been concerned with non stock fire retardancy. Case by case.

Thanks everyone! I agree Princess would probably not allow an umbrella. As for our booking, I went with a TA because I wanted to make sure we had a covered balcony -- and she reported she couldn't get anything but a guarantee. Is this normal? We booked in early October.

Since not wanting an uncovered balcony was why I picked a TA in the first place, she has done nothing for us except offer a $50 OBC for the two of us .. I.e., $25 each. I know we're not supposed to discuss TAs on the forum, but this was my experience.

Our booking is for an MB cabin. I don't think there are any of those on Emerald, but I hope I'm wrong.

The Emerald deck mini's book very fast so your TA was probably right. Usually, the only way to get one is to book way in advance.

If it were me, I'd book a Caribe balcony cabin. Granted, it's not a mini-suite but the balcony is the largest at 9'x9' and is ⅔ covered so you have shade most of the time.

Hi all,

(where we are booked, on the Island, leaving 2/19/15 out of FLL).

Thanks in advance,

Sylvia

Many of the comments made here refer to grand class ships, but you state you will be on the Island Princess. This ship has a different cabin layout. There are lots of mini suites, not just 4, on decks 9, 10 and 11 and a few on deck 12. Check out the deck plans on the Princess web site. The minis on deck 9 mid ship are not covered, but other ones are covered. The amount of sun you get depends on the side of the ship you will be on. Traveling in the Caribbean you will be heading west, so the sun side will be the port side. Going through the canal you are actually heading from Northwest to Southeast. The sun will mostly be overhead, but on the Starboard side.

Umbrella's, I doubt it would work out very well.

FYI the best views of the canal are from the open decks and not from your balcony.

OP, what about a small umbrella that attaches to the chairs. I have forgoten what the chairs are like but you probably could attach it to the back or the arm. They also have a spring type thing to adjust for the angle of the sun. I use one at the beach and it works quite well to provide shade. These are not any bigger than a regular umbrella and you could fold it and take it off when not using it.

http://www.beachstore.com/Beach-Products/Clamp-On-Umbrellas?utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ac_umbrellas&utm_source=bing&utm_term=umbrellas+with+clamp