Need Help in Selecting Southern Caribbean Ship and Itinerary

wangy26

I need your help in selecting a RC cruise for a group of 7 women in our early 50s for college reunion. I tentatively settle down on 7 day southern Caribbean cruise in March 2015. There are two ships sailing there; Adventure of the Sea and Jewel of the Sea. I am not sure which ship is better and would like to get input from you on this. RC rep told me that Adventure of the Sea was just refurbished on April 2014 and is a better ship. There are also two itineraries for each ship that makes decision even tougher. Mostly we are interested in nice beach, nice snorkeling opportunity, nice atmosphere on board, and also prefer not to spend too much money on shore excursions. We are DIY type.

The following are four possible itineraries that I am considering now and would really appreciate your input since a lot of people on this board are very experienced cruisers. They are all 7 day cruise and the cruise fares are comparable. Thanks in advance for your help!

1. Adventure of the Sea

Day 1 San Juan, Puerto Rico 8:30 PM

Day 2 Cruising

Day 3 Bridgetown, Barbados 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

Day 4 Castries, St. Lucia 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

Day 5 St. John's, Antigua 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

Day 6 Philipsburg, St. Maarten 8:00 AM 6:00 PM Docked

Day 7 St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

Day 8 San Juan, Puerto Rico 6:00 AM

2. Adventure of the Sea

Day 2 Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas 8:00 AM 5:30 PM Docked

Day 3 Basseterre, St. Kitts 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

Day 4 Cruising

Day 5 Oranjestad, Aruba 8:00 AM 10:00 PM Docked

Day 6 Willemstad, Curacao 8:00 AM 6:00 PM Docked

Day 7 Cruising

3. Jewel of the Sea

21-Mar San Juan, Puerto Rico 8:30 PM

22-Mar Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas 8:00 AM 6:00 PM Docked

23-Mar St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands 7:00 AM 6:00 PM Docked

24-Mar St. John's, Antigua 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

25-Mar Castries, St. Lucia 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

26-Mar St. George's, Grenada 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

27-Mar Cruising

28-Mar San Juan, Puerto Rico 6:00 AM

4. Jewel of the Sea

14-Mar San Juan, Puerto Rico 8:30 PM

15-Mar St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands 7:15 AM 6:15 PM Docked

16-Mar Philipsburg, St. Maarten 8:00 AM 5:30 PM Docked

17-Mar Basseterre, St. Kitts 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

18-Mar Fort De France, Martinique 9:00 AM 6:00 PM Docked

19-Mar Bridgetown, Barbados 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

20-Mar Cruising

21-Mar San Juan, Puerto Rico 6:00 AM

RC rep told me that Adventure of the Sea was just refurbished on April 2014 and is a better ship....

I find this comment interesting, mostly because it's actually doubtful that a phone rep has even been on both of the ships in question (not being mean, just realistic), PLUS the "better ship" is completely subjective and you will absolutely get varying opinions in this thread based on which ship someone likes better. *shrug*

Sorry, I guess that doesn't really help. :p You asked: I would go for Jewel. She is gorgeous and has the outdoor aft seating in the Windjammer buffet, which is amazing anytime of day but more spectacular in the evening at sunset. :)

I would pick #3. I personally prefer the Radiance class, not sure why but I didn't care for the Adventure but I know many do love her (I really don't like the enclosed balconies on the Adventure). All of the itineraries have great beach and snorkeling ports. I think you would enjoy which ever you choose as these itineraries all have great ports. You might look at the port board for an idea of the available activities on these islands.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using Tapatalk

Was just on Jewel Nov 8 after having been on Oasis and Allure. Absolutely LOVED Jewel. We did St Thomas, St Martin, St Kitts, Barbados, and Dominica. Loved S caribbean so much we just booked Adventure doing the St Croix, St Martin, Antigua, St Kitts and Barbados itinerary. We are two middle aged women traveling and love beaches. The cruise on Jewel was fabulous so that is why we are trying out Adventure since Jewel is not doing the S Caribbean in Sept 2015. We only did an excursion on Dominica. For the first time (after four cruises) we took the advice of many here and just went out on our own. We n ot hard to find taxis to share and we went to awesome beaches

We have done 3 of the 4 you listed. We highly prefer the Adventure but no matter which you choose, you will have a great cruise. They are all great ports each having their own pluses. With any of the itineraries if you take full advantage of the ports, you have very little time on the ship.

Hard to go wrong with any of those. All of the 5 port cruises will be very busy. It may be difficult to keep 7 people on the same schedule.

The Adventure will have the better shows (Ice), but pick these cruises based on which ports you want to see, and overall cost/room options. The ship is not as critical if you're in port every day.

Enjoy your trip!!

We did Adventure Southern A route (Aruba, Curaçao, Dominica, St.Thomas) a few years ago and loved the ship. We're doing the Adventure Southern B cruise (Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, St. John's, St. Croix) in March. We're also sailing on the Brilliance out of Tampa in a few days and can give you a better perspective of Radiance class when we return. I personally like the Royal Promenade ships. Much more of an open feeling. Larger ship with more venues. Everybody has an opinion, and this is mine. Go with Adventure.

Tom

Edited by tsconley19

All of the itineraries are good. I've been to most of those ports and have enjoyed them all. Really, the decision comes down to which ship, Adventure or Jewel. I haven't been on Adventure, but I have been on that class of ship. It will depend on what you are looking for in a SHIP. Adventure is larger, has a Royal Promenade, which a lot of folks love. I didn't love it. The Jewel, which is probably the most beautiful ship I've been on, is smaller (but by no means small!) and the layout is outstanding. It feels more like a cruise ship, because of the outward perspective, the-almost-everywhere-you-look views of the sea, glass elevators overlooking the water, outdoor Windjammer seating, and stunning decor. I could go on and on. I'd pick Jewel hands down.

One of the most notable differences is that Jewel does not have a Royal Promenade (as the poster above me said). If you are the type that enjoys have an area like that (indoor, high ceiling, shops/bars/cafe) than Adventure may be for you. If you like smaller ships Jewel might be best, but remember that Jewel isn't really *small* (again, as stated earlier).

I've sailed both, and love both, but I picked Adventure for my March cruise since it had been in for upgrades recently (which means different things to different people) and I like the route just a little bit more.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, so whichever you choose should be great.

Edited by JasonV1

IMHO you can't go wrong with either ship and sailing out of SJ is the best :-)

Adventure will be a little more active and fun. Jewel will be a little classier with more views of the sea throughout the ship.

I would pick itinerary 2 or 3 .. love the southern islands.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would pick Adventure, simply because I prefer that ship...I'm not a huge fan of the Radiance class ships.

For a group of 7 women I would say the opposite with the Adventure having more kid friendly features. Having been on both classes and having done Jewel on one itinerary I would happily cruise either to see new ports.

We just booked #3. We love getting all the way south and having 2 sea days vs one. But if you have never been to any of those islands I would choose based on ports of call. Adventure is more active and better for older kids. Jewel is a wonderful ship, a real classy ship. Lots of glass and wood vs the mall feel on Adventure. We chose based on ports of call.

We just came back from itinerary 3 on the Jewel and loved, loved, loved every minute of our cruise. However, Aruba and Curacao are very tempting. Personally, I think the radiance class gives a more classic cruise experience and the set-up with the centrum and various bars seems more conducive to a group that just wants to hang out together.

Whatever you choose, you will love it, I am sure.

I would probably go with Jewel because I really like that class of ship. Don't get me wrong, Adventure is till a great ship, so I think any of your options will be great.

The Jewel is smaller than Adventure, but this is a port intensive itinerary, so less time on the ship.

I think this is a no-lose situation.

Also, out of the two Jewel itineraries, I'd probably go with the first one because I like Antigua and St. Lucia.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

2. Adventure of the Sea

Day 2 Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas 8:00 AM 5:30 PM Docked

Day 3 Basseterre, St. Kitts 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

Day 4 Cruising

Day 5 Oranjestad, Aruba 8:00 AM 10:00 PM Docked

Day 6 Willemstad, Curacao 8:00 AM 6:00 PM Docked

Day 7 Cruising

The above would be our choice because it would be a shame to miss going to two of the ABC islands ... Aruba & Curacao.

LuLu

I would probably choose 2, but that's because I have yet to go to the ABC islands. I did 1 last December and just got off the Jewel for Thanksgiving (4).

As others have said, since these itineraries are port-heavy, there will probably be less time on the ship. That being said, I enjoyed the Adventure more since there were more people and they were overall younger (I'm 23). I went with my family for Thanksgiving so I did a lot less partying, but the Jewel was a lot calmer (though still fun!) than the Adventure overall. I definitely missed the Promenade although the Jewel Centrum is gorgeous. The open-air Windjammer eating area is definitely a plus on the Jewel.

All of the Southern Caribbean islands are beautiful so you won't be missing out one way or another (though I love St. Maarten). And the crew are absolutely amazing on both ships (which is probably my favorite part of cruising). Whatever one you pick, you're going to have a great time!

This will be our first Royal Caribbean cruise in January 2016 (yes we know it's a looong way off). We normally cruise NCL. We chose the Adventure because of the itinerary.

St Croix, St Kitts, St Martin, Martinique, Barbados and 1 day at sea.

Since its a port intensive cruise I'm. Sure whatever ship you choose will be great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would pick number 4. In fact, if you look at the bottom of my post, you'll see that I already HAVE picked it. We choose our cruises for the itinerary, not the ship. We chose this particular cruise because we have never been to Martinique. This cruise also happens to be during DW's birthday and she likes to celebrate her birthday on a cruise ship :D. If the itineraries were the same, I would choose the Adventure. While I like the Radiance class ships, I like the Voyager class better. The Adventure is a bigger ship and has more to offer. We really like the Royal Promenade.

Have been to most of the islands and would choose the itinerary with Aruba and Curacao- because they are good DIY islands. On the island forums here there are many suggestions for excursions.

St. Thomas is also a place to do easy excursions- inexpensive trip to a good beach, for instance. Again, the forum has info.

We would not do DIY excursions in St. Lucia or Martinique. For us, these islands require a well organized excursion with a good guide.

Thank you all so much for your very helpful suggestions. We have made the decision and book the option 2 based on various inputs from you and the availability of everyone in our group.

I will look into the activities and shore excursion options on the forum and may ask for help in the future.