Food issues-Silhouette

twohappytravelers

Hi everyone,

We are excited! We are going to take a baltic cruise and we are still in the decision making phase. We have narrowed it down to 3 Cruiselines, Celebrity Silhouette being one of them.

Unfortunately, I have a very sensitive stomach so I have to be careful of the quality of the food.

How fresh is the food on the Silhouette? Is it locally sourced? Is there any issue with the food not being as good near the end of the cruise?

How do they respond to food allergies and special requests?

We are looking at Celebrity, Crystal and Oceania. They each have benefits and drawbacks.

I will probably make another post regarding the next question but I will post it here as well. If you have taken a cruise on the Crystal Symphony, does the other advantages of the cruise (food being one of them) offset the smallness of the cabin? Also, if you are used to living in an extemely nice and spacious home how do you adjust to such a tiny cabin?

Thanks!

Edited by twohappytravelers

Most ship food is from Florida, packed in containers at embarkation, Additional containers from FL. flown in to cruise ports on longer cruises. This is too insure a clean, pure, uniform product.You will find consistent food and menus throughout all ships of any cruise line. Perhaps boring to us constant cruisers, but we will not get sick from food from unknown, unproven sources. But, I did see the Oceania chefs shopping for produce at a dockside market years ago. Will never happen on large cruise ships.All of your choices excellent. For bang for your buck, you cannot beat Sillie.

Edited by zoncom

Hi TWOHAPPYTRAVELERS,

I see this is your first post... So welcome to Cruise Critic & Celebrity

Most ship food is from Florida, packed in containers at embarkation, Additional containers from FL. flown in to cruise ports on longer cruises. This is too insure a clean, pure, uniform product.You will find consistent food and menus throughout all ships of any cruise line. Perhaps boring to us constant cruisers, but we will not get sick from food from unknown, unproven sources. But, I did see the Oceania chefs shopping for produce at a dockside market years ago. Will never happen on large cruise ships.All of your choices excellent. For bang for your buck, you cannot beat Sillie.

100% Agree

I will probably make another post regarding the next question but I will post it here as well. If you have taken a cruise on the Crystal Symphony, does the other advantages of the cruise (food being one of them) offset the smallness of the cabin? Also, if you are used to living in an extemely nice and spacious home how do you adjust to such a tiny cabin?

Thanks!

To be honest, this is an issue for just about everyone to some extent...

Cause in reality no matter which ship, which cabin, it is going to be less expansive than home

It very much is like living out of a Hotel Room (lol or College Dorm Room if you are more than 2 utilizing the Converible Sofa or Pullman Berth)

Best solution is to be well organized.

On a Cruise Ship this can be done in a variety of ways... There are topics here on CC (see the New to Cruising Section) as well as many websites dedicated to the topic

Mr Sloop & I took our first Celebrity Cruise in 2012 on The Solstice, a sister ship of The Silhouette we had no issue with the Storage, and found our cabin well laid out & designed (particularly the Bathroom)

I created a topic on The Solstice / S-Class Storage here on CC following my cruise... And others have added to it with their comments and findings on the ther ships in this class including The Silhouette, would be a good read if you choose Celebrity

Solstice / S-Class Storage = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1560620

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Ps... Celebrity also has a Special Needs Dept. The folks onboard are used to working ith Pax who have dietary issues / needs. Hopefully some other Posters here will give you more info on that aspect

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

All ships/cruiselines take on their supplies at their home port. It's all kept at the optimum temps...whether refrigerated or frozen....

All seafood in America is frozen...even the stuff in the "fresh fish" case at your grocery store has been "previously frozen"...none of it is "fresh off the boat"!

If you have some sort of allergy or sensitivity, contact your cruise line's, "special needs" department...they work wonders!

Thanks to everyone so far, that has replied to my posting.

I enjoyed reading another thread which included pictures. The pictures of the food looked great. When people were listing their favs though, the things that got listed were bread pudding w/vanilla sauce, black and white cookies, waffles, crepes, and just baked donuts (omg). My hope was that the healthier options will taste so good that I will be able to resist trying every carb heavy option on the ship. :D .

I love roasted veggies and fresh fish and great salads. Modern cooking has really upped these ingredients to not only healthy but delicious.

So, my question was based on wondering which cruiseline/ship between Celeb. Sil., Crystal, Symph. and Oceania Marina has the most modern, highest quality food? That way, I will be so happy trying new ways to eat healthy foods that I will eat less of the other stuff. (I consider sushi and japanese food very healthy, if that gives you an idea)

Thanks!

Edited by twohappytravelers

If you are sailing for the food, and thats important to you, you will be disappointed in the quality of the food on a large ship cruise line like Celebrity.

You aren't going to get locally sourced, fresh ingredients. All the fish is frozen...

Seabourn and Oceania have the best food, and some of it locally purchased. They sail smaller ships and have more of a food focus IMO. They are more expensive though, so it's a tradeoff.

We have sailed both lines

If you love Sushi, then the Nobu restaurant on Crystal is for you!

The price of Crystal is higher, and the age and nationalities is different from Celebrity. We like both lines, and use both, depending on itinerary, port of departure, and cabins available at the time of booking

I believe any of the lines you mentioned will be able to accommodate your dietary restrictions. Enjoy whatever cruise you choose.

All seafood in America is frozen...even the stuff in the "fresh fish" case at your grocery store has been "previously frozen"...none of it is "fresh off the boat"!

Where did you get that information from? Even in Chicago it is not too hard to find fresh seafood; the better restaurants use fresh seafood whenever possible and my local Whole Foods has a variety of fresh options. That said on Celebrity you certainly will not find any fresh or locally sourced seafood (with few exceptions; i.e. occasionally a New England/Canada cruise will have fresh Maine lobster and in the Galapagos the Xpedition does use a lot of locally sourced food due to government regulations there that require this). From what the OP is describing I think that Oceania is clearly the best option for the type of experience they are seeking.

Where did you get that information from? Even in Chicago it is not too hard to find fresh seafood; the better restaurants use fresh seafood whenever possible and my local Whole Foods has a variety of fresh options. That said on Celebrity you certainly will not find any fresh or locally sourced seafood (with few exceptions; i.e. occasionally a New England/Canada cruise will have fresh Maine lobster and in the Galapagos the Xpedition does use a lot of locally sourced food due to government regulations there that require this). From what the OP is describing I think that Oceania is clearly the best option for the type of experience they are seeking.

That kinda threw me off also, I lived at the Jersey Shore for most of my life.

I watched an episode of Mighty Cruise Ships a couple of weeks ago and this particular episode was showcasing the Celebrity Solstice on a 17 night Australian Top End cruise. During this cruise, in response to receiving feedback from the guests that the buffet dishes were becoming repetitive, the Head Chef went ashore at one of the ports (I cannot recall exactly which port) and bought an assortment of fresh fish that had been caught that morning and created a beautiful buffet dish with one of the huge fish that had been purchased.

All ships/cruiselines take on their supplies at their home port. It's all kept at the optimum temps...whether refrigerated or frozen....

If you have some sort of allergy or sensitivity, contact your cruise line's, "special needs" department...they work wonders!

Of course CB never returns to respond, but I still have to say, what a ridiculous statement...........:rolleyes:

food on mainstream lines is mass produced. better than your avefeage banquet hall, not as good a fine dining venue. at least the chicken is usally still edible,

if you are a true gourmand/foodie, do not go mainstream. go next level.. Crystal. Seabourne, Azamara, etc

you pay more up front, but the smaller crew to pax ratio and ability to spend more per person on food mitigates that.

that is not to say that on board you will not find excellent food. you will. I really enjoyed Celebrity for the food offerings at a reasonable price and spacious cabin.

Of course CB never returns to respond, but I still have to say, what a ridiculous statement...........:rolleyes:

Hi:), how true....on both parts;)...to say no seafood in America is never

fresh?:confused:....I live in Florida and unless every seafood market is lieing?

We have an area called Mayport.......if those fisherman are not catching

fresh fish?:rolleyes:...and the seafood markets are not carrying fresh fish?

OMG......not sure where some of these statements are coming from.:eek:

The fish is definitely fresh.......I get it all the time.

I watched an episode of Mighty Cruise Ships a couple of weeks ago and this particular episode was showcasing the Celebrity Solstice on a 17 night Australian Top End cruise. During this cruise, in response to receiving feedback from the guests that the buffet dishes were becoming repetitive, the Head Chef went ashore at one of the ports (I cannot recall exactly which port) and bought an assortment of fresh fish that had been caught that morning and created a beautiful buffet dish with one of the huge fish that had been purchased.

Me thinks this was more in response to the TV/Film cameras than to feedback from guests.

Do you really believe everything you see on reality TV shows is unscripted and truly real life impromptu events?:rolleyes:

Me thinks this was more in response to the TV/Film cameras than to feedback from guests.

Do you really believe everything you see on reality TV shows is unscripted and truly real life impromptu events?:rolleyes:

No.

But if you've seen the show Mighty Ships / Mighty Cruise Ships you would know that is not so much a reality show... as a Documentary (filmed by a well known Canadian Documentary Group)

And therein lies the difference

* Nominated for Gemini Award for Best Science, Technology, Nature, Environment or Adventure Documentary Program

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I do not know if you have checked various prices on the three different lines. You will see that O costs at least twice Celebrity. Cannot speak for Crystal. I have a really long cruise booked on O. Do a menu search at top of page-Search Cruise Critic. All ships have small cabins, even smaller balconies. You are looking at one big, one medium and one very small ship.Something to also consider in your choice.

If you can afford Crystal, book a suite on Silhouette and buy the dining package which allows you to always eat in one of the specialty restaurants and the premium beverage package. Live it up. If you book for Spring of next year, you will get all of the above plus a designated restaurant , lounge and other benefits, depending on the suite booked.

If you can afford Crystal, book a suite on Silhouette and buy the dining package which allows you to always eat in one of the specialty restaurants and the premium beverage package. Live it up. If you book for Spring of next year, you will get all of the above plus a designated restaurant , lounge and other benefits, depending on the suite booked.

Having sailed both and currently booked on both, there is no comparison in food between Celebrity and Crystal. Crystal Cruises is known for the culinary cuisine. I like Celebrity when I take the adult children with us and save Crystal for more intimate trips. That being said I would opt for Crystal if the quality of food is your first priority.