DIAMOND - Drinks package cancelled for Dec Australian cruise

chrysti_scallywag

Hi guys

We're about to embark on our first cruise with Diamond Princess this Sunday (13 Dec). Excited!

We had booked the $49 drinks package for the whole trip but last week they did a last-minute cancel on us because it is now apparently illegal to offer discounted alcohol in Australia.

Did anyone else get the same story? One of the main reasons we booked Princess was because of their drinks package and I know other cruise lines in Australia do it so feeling a little disappointed and confused.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks, Chrysti

last week they did a last-minute cancel on us because it is now apparently illegal to offer discounted alcohol in Australia.

I can't imagine that is true.... All bottle shops (off-licences), as well as pubs and clubs, sell discounted alcohol.

Last I had heard, the drinks package was not offered on any of the 'Australian servicing fleet'.

Princess website still says:

Package does not apply to Sun Princess, Sea Princess and Dawn Princess or Diamond Princess and Golden Princess voyages departing from and returning to Australia.

Perhaps Princess had done their sums and re-thought its profitability... However, I'm quite sure that it is not due to not being allowed to offer discounted alcohol.

under what legislation is this not allowed? There is no national liquor licensing law and this is not a Customs law. I suspect us Aussies are drinking any profit they would usually make on these packages, so it makes sense that they would just cancel it to preserve their bottom line.

I suspect us Aussies are drinking any profit they would usually make on these packages, so it makes sense that they would just cancel it to preserve their bottom line.

I sincerely doubt that. Costa's 'All Inclusive Extra' drinks package is about half the price of Princess' and includes the 15% gratuity. They're making money. Princess must be making a 'killing'.

Well, if this is true, it's really going to make things challenging for me on the Tester Cruise. I had hoped to pre-pay as much as possible, the Drinks package being a useful form of budgeting, and allowing me to try new cocktails conveniently.

Yes, I know about gifting myself On Board Credit, I just don't really want the hassle of keeping a record of EVERY mocktail, soda, juice or cocktail I enjoy to avoid an unpleasant shock with my bill! Even when I do my supermarket shopping, I keep a mental running tally to stay within, unless there's some good specials that will ultimately save me money, my allotted budget for that shopping trip.

Crochetcruise :cool:

I was on the Diamond in October on the final Japanese cruise of the season before it headed south to eventually do Australian cruises.

Talking to a bartender at Crooners he told me they discontinue the drinks package on Australian cruises because of the high level of abuse- people getting free drinks for others.

He said it happens on all cruises but especially bad on the Australian ones and it becomes too hard to police adequately so not worth doing.

I think its more of a case that its not profitable for them to offer a drinks package because the Australias drink a fair bit.

I remember the Carnival Spirit or Legend (can't remember now) on a relocation cruise from the US running out of beer halfway through the cruise because they underestimated how much to put on the ship.

Edited by icat2000

I think its more of a case that its not profitable for them to offer a drinks package because the Australias drink a fair bit.

I remember the Carnival Spirit or Legend (can't remember now) on a relocation cruise from the US running out of beer halfway through the cruise because they underestimated how much to put on the ship.

Wow, a Carnival ship running out of beer? That's amazing. Somehow I think "drink a fair bit" might be an understatement. :D

You said that you drink 'mocktail, soda, juice or cocktail'. Other than the cocktails, all of that is included in the ultimate non-alcoholic package, which is much cheaper (about $7 per day). Why not get that package and just keep track of the cocktails?

The OP did refer to a law about offering discounted liquor. Whilst that seems unlikely, might it have something to do with Australian Responsible Service of Alcohol requirements? There are quite stringent rules around the promotion, provision and serving of alcohol that could impact upon the "all you can drink" concept of this package.

Wow, a Carnival ship running out of beer? That's amazing. Somehow I think "drink a fair bit" might be an understatement. :D

I think it was the first time they sent the ship to Australia. They obviously had not done their market research very well. :D

The OP did refer to a law about offering discounted liquor. Whilst that seems unlikely, might it have something to do with Australian Responsible Service of Alcohol requirements? There are quite stringent rules around the promotion, provision and serving of alcohol that could impact upon the "all you can drink" concept of this package.

That makes more sense than the no profit/abuse theory(s). As 'likeadisguise' pointed out, the package has never been available on cruises out of Australia. So, how would Princess know it couldn't turn a profit on individuals who abide by the rules or that package holders will not abide by the rules?

I suspect it may be a taxation issue somehow related to the package pricing.

Edited by Bill B

That makes more sense than the no profit/abuse theory(s). As 'likeadisguise' pointed out, the package has never been available on cruises out of Australia. So, how would Princess know it couldn't turn a profit on individuals who abide by the rules or that package holders will not abide by the rules?

I suspect it may be a taxation issue somehow related to the package pricing.

Other lines offer it so it has nothing to do with the law. Celebrity is giving it away with bookings and had been for a while

Princess knows darn well how much booze is sold on Aussie cruises and has adjusted their policy accordingly.

When RCI and X stop selling them, then the law may make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Princess would simply up its price for the package on cruises out of Australia... and still not have to worry about the competition. The higher price - to make up for no auto-gratuities on Australia-based ships - doesn't seem to affect them.

It may be -

because Princess has an Australian subsidiary with ships based in Australia, the company is subject to different regulations than the 'foreign' RCI and X.

Edited by Bill B

This sounds more reasonable. I can't imagine that any one group of people can drink so much that the cruise line can't make a profit. Is everyone in Australia walking around in drunken stupor? Aussie friends what's the deal?

This sounds more reasonable. I can't imagine that any one group of people can drink so much that the cruise line can't make a profit. Is everyone in Australia walking around in drunken stupor? Aussie friends what's the deal?

No we aren't all in a drunken stupor.:) A small proportion of Aussies drink a lot, and these are the ones who are likely to buy a drinks package. We wouldn't because we only drink less than one bottle of wine at dinner each evening.

See my reasoning in post #20.

Believe me, these drinks packages are a 'cash cow' for the lines; and the drinking habits of any one nationality would have only a small effect on the profit margin, not negate it completely. They'd still be making money even if all the pax were Irish. ;)

It may be - because Princess has an Australian subsidiary with ships based in Australia, the company is subject to different regulations than the 'foreign' RCI and X.
I'm guessing this is the case. If the pricing and ship's onboard currency is $Australian, then the ship is sailing for Princess Australia, not Princess US.

I think Princess are lying to you. There are no laws that prevent Princess from doing what they want the moment the ship leaves the Australian immigration zone and transits to international waters. It is not an Australian flagged ship and not subject to Australian laws in international waters. The only time it has to obey Australian laws is when the ship is tied up in an Australian port or transiting Australia without going international.