Rome - Hotel Recommendations

BEEZLEE

We have enjoyed several cruises with Oceania and looking forward to our upcoming 1st Med-cruise..joining from Ontario, Canada and will be arriving in Rome 3-4 days early to tour around prior to embarking.

Kindly ask for any recommendations for mid-range $$ hotels in Rome ?

Thanks.

Our TA booked us into Hotel 21 ahead of our first Oceania cruise in 2012. The location was fabulous. We had a deluxe room on the 5th floor with a small terrace, nicely furnished, from where we could see the dome of St Peter's. We walked to The Vatican, Trevi fountain etc. It is very contemporary and the breakfast room is quite basic so if you're looking for luxury you won't find it here. I don't think we'd ever have discovered it if we'd been looking for a hotel by ourselves but having stayed there I'd chose it again if I was going back to Rome.

It‘s currently ranked #256 on Tripadvisor and rooms are small, but that's common in European cities.

For my sins I am also a Destination Expert for Switzerland on Trip Advisor and, as such, often need to look at hotels, their rankings etc on the TA site. The hotels are "ranked" by the number of people who rate them excellent / good / fair etc which does skew the ratings because of the demographics of people rating them and also I suppose the number of those actually reviewing hotels vs the far larger number who stay in them. All this to say that i think it is far more useful to read the reviews for the few hotels you might have pre-selected rather than to base a choice on the actual rating. The TA reviews are remarkably transparent, IMO, and you can tell if someone had an axe to grind as it were - or was an inexperienced traveller....

My "methodology" is first to narrow down an area where I want to stay, then to select a few hotels that meet m needs and For which the rate is OK and then to cross check my short list on TA. I find that this works well.

Not exactly a mid-range hotel, but highly recommend the Albergo del Senato, ranked #6 on TripAdvisor. Literally steps from the Pantheon, and walking distance from many other attractions. Staff recommended several wonderful nearby restaurants. Roof-top bar has a great view of the city.

We have used Bed & Breakfast Gli Scipioni when staying in Rome. Not a hotel but has to be one of the best B & B's anywhere. Modern and very private with large rooms a few minutes walk to St Peters and the Vatican and adjacent to a Metro station. Highly rated on Tripadvisor.

Prices a much better than hotels and the accommodation is also much better.

Allan

I can second the recommendation for Albergo del Senato, one of my favorite hotels. The location is in the heart of central Rome. I'd beware of staying near the Vatican (unless that is the main focus of your visit) as it is really an outlier compared to being more in the "storico centro" (historic center).

For a less expensive alternative also located nearby, consider Albergo Cesari. It also has a nice rooftop lounge and very good breakfasts.

Not exactly a mid-range hotel, but highly recommend the Albergo del Senato, ranked #6 on TripAdvisor. Literally steps from the Pantheon, and walking distance from many other attractions. Staff recommended several wonderful nearby restaurants. Roof-top bar has a great view of the city.

Agree. One of our favorites and it is very good for a four star.

Much better location than the area around the Vatican.

Edited by orchestrapal

We have enjoyed several cruises with Oceania and looking forward to our upcoming 1st Med-cruise..joining from Ontario, Canada and will be arriving in Rome 3-4 days early to tour around prior to embarking.

Thanks.

Suites Garibaldi right near the Spanish Steps. Highly recommended. For best price, book a year ahead. Only four suites in the building. Check it out on trip advisor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Three years ago we stayed at the Hotel Eliseo (also close to the Spanish Steps) and thought it was a very good value. There is a bus right across the street, and cabs stop there frequently. I don't recall if there was access to the Metro but if I don't recall, then there probably was not.

Mura

Thanks.

We stayed at Babuino 181 in Rome last time we were there. It is a small boutique hotel in a great location. Rooms are pretty spacious for Europe. It is currently ranked #15 on Trip Advisor. Read the reviews and see if it appeals to you. We liked it a lot and would stay there again.

Just back form Rome... stayed 4 nights in a HouseTrip apartment. It was on the Metro, 33 stops southeast of Termini. Not sure what mid-price is but we paid about $550 for 4 nights on a 1 bedroom apt with full kitchen and washer, living room with fold out couch too; wifi although it was a bit slow it did what we needed.. Metro 2 blocks, grocery stores within a block, ATM also. It's off Appia Nuovo. You can google HouseTrip. I'd do it again but it may not be for everybody.

We used shared shuttle from FCO airport to apt and from apt to ship... all door to door service. check out www airportshuttle dot it We paid 31E (for 2) from airport, and 90E (for 2) to port, door to door, didn't even need a port shuttle bus, so very easy with the luggage. The hike through termini is about half a kilometer, stairs with the Metro, hike on the port side... we were not up to it and I'm ever so thankful for the shuttle!

I also recommend the Roma Pass, covers all transportation systems and admission to first 2 major sights plus discounts to others. We used the Metro a lot!

If you plan to go into the Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel be sure to have a pre-paid reservation. The line can be hours long otherwise. Have a fun trip! m--

Just back form Rome... stayed 4 nights in a HouseTrip apartment. It was on the Metro, 33 stops southeast of Termini. Not sure what mid-price is but we paid about $550 for 4 nights on a 1 bedroom apt with full kitchen and washer, living room with fold out couch too; wifi although it was a bit slow it did what we needed.. Metro 2 blocks, grocery stores within a block, ATM also. It's off Appia Nuovo. You can google HouseTrip. I'd do it again but it may not be for everybody.

We used shared shuttle from FCO airport to apt and from apt to ship... all door to door service. check out www airportshuttle dot it We paid 31E (for 2) from airport, and 90E (for 2) to port, door to door, didn't even need a port shuttle bus, so very easy with the luggage. The hike through termini is about half a kilometer, stairs with the Metro, hike on the port side... we were not up to it and I'm ever so thankful for the shuttle!

I also recommend the Roma Pass, covers all transportation systems and admission to first 2 major sights plus discounts to others. We used the Metro a lot!

If you plan to go into the Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel be sure to have a pre-paid reservation. The line can be hours long otherwise. Have a fun trip! m--

Sorry about the error. Our apt was 3 stops from Termini station. m--

My favorites in Rome are Sofitel Roma and Hotel Capo d'Africa. Also enjoyed the San Anselmo which normally prices well.

Albergo Cesare and Albergo Santa Chiara are both very near the Del Senato and price more moderately. We used to stay at the Del but they overpriced themselves IMO.

For a B&B, look at Daphne Inn Veneto.

There is also the Modigliani. I prefer the locations of the first two I listed but the Modigliani prices well and is a nice hotel.

We really liked the Moses Fountain Guest House Hotel which is a small (6 room) property more like a B&B than a hotel. It's about 1/2 km, easy walk from Termini which was very convenient. We walked from the bus to the train station in Civitavecchia, hopped on a train, walked out of Termini to our hotel, and less than an hour later we were checking in. Can't beat that with a stick.

Breakfast was OK, nothing special, but served outside on a patio with a great atmosphere. The room was quite nice. Be warned that you'll have to lug your bags (and yourself) up 2 flights of stairs as there is no elevator. Obviously after dragging them from the ship, on the train, and through the streets of Rome to the hotel that didn't matter to us but just FYI.

I am amazed at how many nice places there are in Rome. :) Great to have all these nice choices!

We twice have stayed at Hotel Smeraldo near Campo di Fiori and it fits the OP's request for mid-range recommendations. Superb location near the Largo Argentina transportation hub and near Old Rome evening passiagiata (sp.?) and good eating. Good breakfast, small elevator and clean.

Hotel Campo de Fiori is a small upmarket boutiqie hotel in a superb location . Within easy walking distance of Campo de Fiorio, Piazza Farnesse, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain (currently under restorato !!!), Pantheon, Castel de St Angelo, and for the fit St Peters and Vatican Museum . Plenty of eateries nearby and in Hotel. Book direct on line via hotel website to avoid paying middleman commissions.

Although many interesting Rome hotels have been mentioned I am surprised that no one has mentioned the alternative of renting an apartment for a few days.

Whenever we are in Rome (or any other major city in Europe) for more than 3 or 4 days we look for an apartment on VRBO dot com (vacation rentals by owner) or homeaway dot com. These web sites are easy to use with maps to determine location, usually lots of photos and often reviews. One does have to carefully review claims of facilities and also read reviews with care looking for what is not said or offered but the same applies to hotel web sites.

On our last visit to Rome we rented a one bedroom apartment 2 short blocks off of Piazza Navona. Wonderful location!! We fixed our own breakfasts (after shopping locally which is fun and educational) and were able to stock snacks and drinks for afternoon breaks or for dinner after a big lunch. We found that after 2 or 3 days we were recognized as temporary locals at the neighborhood coffee bar and the café under the fig tree. Note that neither of us speaks Italian. Sign language, pointing and guide book phrases suffice. There are, of course, some disadvantages - you have to make your own bed and hang up your towels (just like home;)) but the cost is usually quite a bit less and the immersion in the local community is a wonderful travel experience.

Robbie

P.S. The apartment in Rome did not have a washer and dryer but the places we have rented in Britain and France did and was a nice feature when on a longer trip.

We have rented an apartment in London. It was large had washer and dryer and dishwasher and for 6 weeks was NOT much less expensive than a good 4 star hotel in the same prime area would have been. After that experience we decided the services that are offered in a 4 or 5 star hotel are what we are looking for.

I cook daily at home and my favorite thing in a fine hotel is breakfast being served to us just as we love the breakfast in the NDR or in our suite on O.

To each his own!

:D

We have rented an apartment in London. It was large had washer and dryer and dishwasher and for 6 weeks was NOT much less expensive than a good 4 star hotel in the same prime area would have been. After that experience we decided the services that are offered in a 4 or 5 star hotel are what we are looking for.

I cook daily at home and my favorite thing in a fine hotel is breakfast being served to us just as we love the breakfast in the NDR or in our suite on O.

To each his own!

Indeed - to each his own!

I offered my suggestion based on our experience and preferences and because no one else had suggested this as an option. We do often stay in hotels and generally prefer the smaller, boutique and family run hotels in Europe. That's what we like :). We also enjoy the MDR for breakfast but when we are not aboard we tend to eat a little lighter (mostly because we need to!!). Renting is something that should be considered and perhaps tried by travelers who have time to stay a while in one place and really get to know what life is like in that place.

Perhaps the best feature of the one bedroom apartments we rent is that I can get up early, close the bedroom door, and make coffee and check the news without disturbing sleeping beauty :D

Robbie