Best cruise line

spankym13

Hey guys.

Looking to do our 2nd cruise and looking for input from those of you who do it often. Royal caribbean or Carnival? And why?

I have never been on Carnival but from what I have heard about them (I realize that this makes no sense), I would not cruise on them.

DON

Have done NCL,Princess, Carnival, and RCCL and Royal is by far my favorite. Trying Celebrity next year. I felt service,cleanliness,entertainment and food is better on Royal.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Forums mobile app

Edited by cruising_chow

Thanks spanky!! I started cruising in 09 and have 8 under my belt. Have 2 planned for 15. Oasis of the Seas in March and Celebrity in November. Lots of great info out here, I study alot!! If you try Royal, you have to do The Quest!! Did it on our last cruise for the first time and it was the most fun I had in a long time!! Be a participant.

Chow

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Forums mobile app

Edited by cruising_chow

Most things on these lines are more alike than most would like to admit .One thing I think Royal has over Carnival is the ship ( espy. the newer ones) I like the look better and love the large nightclub on top and the pool decks are nicerI.M.O.P. The food is about the same ,one thing I would say is to go with newer ships on both lines.B.T.Y.almost all rooms on Carnival are bigger , if that matters to you .

I've been on Princess, Celebrity, Carnival and Cunard and have enjoyed them all. Carnival was great when my son was young and we would cruise during Easter vacation.

I've found food pretty much the same on all cruises, I'm talking about Lido deck buffet and MDR. Fish and chips in the pub on Cunard Queen Elizabeth were the best.

Cunard has very interesting guest speakers, I think they excel at this. Roger McGuinn of Byrds fame was on our cruise.

The International cafe on the Grand Princess was very good.

I usually now pick Princess, the # one reason is they sail out of San Francisco, north, south, and west and I do not have to fly. I hate airports

Hey guys.

Looking to do our 2nd cruise and looking for input from those of you who do it often. Royal caribbean or Carnival? And why?

Seems you are only trying to decide between RCCL and Carnival.

Hopefully, people replying will keep this in mind.

LuLu

Just fyi we are looking at RCCL freedom of the seas at end of sept. A western trip. Or carnival glory on a southern i believe (st. Thomas,bahama,san juan,grand turk.

I have been on both of those ships and there is no comparison. These 2 aren't even int he same ballpark. Definitely Freedom of the Seas. The live entertainment and the ship itself far surpasses the Glory.

Agree with the above.

We too have been on both ships and there is no question that Freedom is better in pretty much every way. Food choices and quality, amenities, service, ship décor (most Carnival ships cause my eye strain from the loud, cheap-looking interiors)etc. were all better on Freedom.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys.

way too vague and personal an opinion.

we will never sell Carnival again, but there are just as many out there who sear by the line and refuse to consider any other one.

Huge Carnival fan here. Both lines are more alike than different. Just returned from an FOS cruise a couple of months ago.

Having said all that and your choices are FOS with RCCL or the Carnival Glory??????

FOS every time

I have also sailed FOS and Glory. If the choice of ship is more important to you than where you are going, then I would give the edge to FOS. It is newer, bigger and more pleasing to the eye. (The Glory looks like a circus everywhere, it is really very tacky.) HOWEVER, having said that, in this case, I would give the itinerary edge to Glory. I prefer Southern over Western any day. And to be frank, IMO, the food is pretty much the same on both lines, entertainment can be a hit or miss on either, and Carnival so far has had better rooms. For me, the ship doesn't matter as much as where I am going, as long as it had good service and decent amenities.

I realize you didn't ask, but I also like NCL, worth a look to see what they have for sailing options that might work for you.

I have sailed mostly Royal, but am in no way loyal to them, they just don't knock my socks off enough over any other line to make it worth being loyal to them only. We often end up on them because friends of ours are "loyal to Royal" and we like to cruise with our friends. When we are on our own, we often go with other lines.

Whatever you choose, I hope you have a wonderful time!

Hey guys.

I've been on ten Carnival cruises and eleven Royal Caribbean cruises. I pick my cruises based on where the ship is going and what ship it is. In general the passenger mix will be the same. In general Royal Caribbean cost more. However, in general Royal Caribbean has a better passenger space ratio and better service. In general Carival's food is a little better than Royal Caribbean. The standard room sizes are similar, though Carnival's standard rooms are a little bigger than Royal Caribbean's standard rooms. Carnival has water slides while Royal Caribbean has rock climbing walls. Royal Caribbean's bigger ships have more alternatives than Carnival has.

Pick the ship and itinerary that interests you the most.