'art' auctions

TraelorMex

I don't mind the art auctions. We don't go, but if people enjoy them, that's fine. I don't mind the "gold by the inch" and $10 watch sales. Don't buy them, but some people enjoy buying junk. What I DO mind is when the art easels and tables of "gold" and watches are put out where crowds of pax gather and try to walk to ship activities or back to their cabins and that blasted crapola is blocking traffic so you either can't move or trip over the easels!!! :eek:

Did a 15 day cruise last year on Princess, attended three art auctions. This was the first time we had ever attended one. Had no intention of buying anything just something to pass some time on a sea day. Was interesting to see the amount of money some people spent. Last day toward the end of auction they put up a lithograph of three wolves,# one of a hundred ????. Did not mean much to me but I liked what I saw and the price was right $60.00.:) It is now in our living room, that will be the end of my art purchases. Yes even bought one of the cheap:eek: $10.00 watches. Only wear it on special dress up occasions:rolleyes:, plus it is still running.

I don't mind the art auctions. We don't go, but if people enjoy them, that's fine. I don't mind the "gold by the inch" and $10 watch sales. Don't buy them, but some people enjoy buying junk. What I DO mind is when the art easels and tables of "gold" and watches are put out where crowds of pax gather and try to walk to ship activities or back to their cabins and that blasted crapola is blocking traffic so you either can't move or trip over the easels!!! :eek:

This is my problem with them. I was minding my own business reading my book in the Ocean Bar on a sea day on my last cruise and was forcibly evicted a full 2 hours before the "art" auction because the crews had to set up. The Ocean Bar was unvailable for use for well over 4 hours on a sea day. I objected to that. I was told by the Front Office Staff that I could have gone to the Crow's Nest, but I wanted a quiet peaceful place to read and there were trivia and other loud events going on in the Crow's Nest.

I don't care if there are "art" auctions, but do not block off a public room for 4 hours on a sea day. It's not like I have the option of going ashore on those days.

On one of our NA cruises I attended one of the Art Auctions because it was promoted as 60 works of art (auctioned) in 60 minutes. Figured that it might be interesting to see a "quick-like" auction. Well, there was more chatter than one piece of art per minute could handle, but it was okay.

At one point in the event, the auctioneer brought in a framed print (about 8 x 10 or 11 x 14) and said they would draw a number to give it as a prize. It was then awarded to someone in the audience. They said they would give away several more during the next hour. Of course, I decided to stay and see if I could win a print (of something!).

Well, my number was drawn and, after the auction, I was asked what time I wanted to make my appointment for my prize. What? Well, I made the appointment out of curiosity ... and to get my print.

At the appointed time I went to the Art area and was seated at a desk and one of the employees said that they couldn't keep ALL THOSE PRINTS onboard the ship, so they would send it to me. All I had to do was pay THIRTY DOLLARS to have it shipped to me in a cardboard tube. Yes, folks, just THIRTY DOLLARS to have my PRIZE mailed to me.

OR ........ I could pick out the framing materials and they would frame it and have it sent to me. The framing would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 with mailing.

I told them I would check with my husband and get back to them. I then avoided the art area for the next two days!

It's a shame that HAL teams up with characters like this.

We recently completed very nice 28 day Amazon Explorer cruise on the

ms Prinsindam. Nice ship. Nice crew. Nice cruise. One unexpected plus, no dreary 'art' auctions. Have these gone by the wayside on all HAL ships?

Good to hear you liked the Amazon Explorer, we did it in 2012...great cruise. I don't recall art auctions on the Prinsendam....maybe she is too small, and with so many repeat cruisers, maybe they don't buy.

Park West was on our Incan Empires Cruise last November and the salesman had a group of glassy-eyed participants listening intently. You buy it because you like it, not because the salesman says it will be valuable some day.

Karen

I was very sorry when HAL put the auctions back on the ships. They are a total rip off. Even if you aren't bothered by the sleazy hard sell, HAL should be ashamed of itself to be in a partnership to sell people low quality "art" at such hyper-inflated prices. They can't just blame Park West-- HAL lets this shameful enterprise operate under their auspices. It's the kind of activity that makes you lose your faith in HAL's credibility.

There was a time span when Park West was off the ships but they returned at least two years ago.

I remember that. Didn't they leave with their tail between their legs? Can't see how they were allowed back. I find them terribly annoying taking up space in the Ocean Bar.

"We recently completed very nice 28 day Amazon Explorer cruise on the

ms Prinsindam."

TraelorMex...off topic, but would you be willing to say a few words about the trip? We are doing this next year and would love to hear your observations.

Thanks

Rachel

SeaSick, here are a few general observations. If you have any specific question or concerns, will do my best to respond accordingly.

This cruise was a culmination of a life-long dream. Had always wanted to visit the Amazon river. Some folks cruise and seem to enjoy 'shopping' at the various ports. We have always enjoyed visiting and interacting with the local peoples, cultures etc. We did get plenty of this on the Amazon :) Everything about the Amazon river was just stunning!

General impressions of the ship: Very nice. Our favorite HAL ship. About 800 or fewer passengers. Ship very well laid out...dining venues were quite good. Lido had a very wide selection of foods. Quality of food was always very good. Happy to report the coffee in the Lido was the best we had on any HAL ship.

Cruise Director, entertainment, was equally very good. Well done production shows and an unobtrusive C.D. Ships staff, master, crew were all very professional and courteous. Photo staff were also very good...never 'in your face'...but low keyed and there if you wanted them.

Three religious services were available...Catholic, Protestant, and Jewish.

Pinnacle and Canaletto were fabulous. Food was great at both venues.

Ports of call in the Amazon.....Make sure you take a wide brimmed hat!! The equatorial sun is OPPRESSIVE (and everywhere). Lightweight long-sleeved shirt would be a plus as well. We did not see or feel any mosquitoes...so despite everyone telling you to lather up with insect repellent, we did not find this necessary.

One port in particular, Boca Da Valeria (Brazil) is a must. This is a tender port. Many pax did not get off here because someone said 'there wasn’t much to do'. They were correct: there was NO SHOPPING. Which, IMHO, made it the best port of all. Also, if you do this one, do take the private canoe trip with a local fellow (their boats and signs are everywhere). Cost was $5.00 per person. Consisted of a 1-2 hour canoe ride up the little river to inland habitations. Lotsa wildlife, pink dolphins etc. GET A CANOE WITH A TARP ROOF!!

Most of the ports we were in did accept the US dollar.

Shore excursions: Best to arrange private 'excursions' at the pier. We did several excursions and did the EXACT same thing as the ships excursion, for 70% less! (this applies more so for the Caribbean ports than the Amazon ports)

INTERNET ACCESS: Non-existent. Although most ports offered internet access, once you were able to 'access' the internet, you couldn’t 'DO' anything. The signal strengths were good...just could not do the usual e-mail checking etc. (this was a problem which was experienced by everyone we saw. Felt so sorry for the crewmen who looked forward to communicating with families and could not). We did have decent access in the Caribbean ports most of the time. While I did not use the ships 'internet service', many pax I spoke with complained about the very SLOW speeds etc.

That's about it. If ya have anything specific, don't hesitate to ask.

We recently completed very nice 28 day Amazon Explorer cruise on the

ms Prinsindam. Nice ship. Nice crew. Nice cruise. One unexpected plus, no dreary 'art' auctions. Have these gone by the wayside on all HAL ships?

I like the Art Auctions and have a few paintings to prove it.;)

So the art auctions are a way for the cruise lines to make some more money. This probably results in lower cruise prices for everyone who does not buy the art.

If you don't buy art at home, and don't know much about art, it is probably not a good idea to purchase art on a cruise ship. But to each his/her own.

Also, most of the artworks sold on cruise ships are various types of prints, not original works of art.

"We recently completed very nice 28 day Amazon Explorer cruise on the

ms Prinsindam."

TraelorMex...off topic, but would you be willing to say a few words about the trip? We are doing this next year and would love to hear your observations.

Thanks

Rachel

We also did this cruise and had an awesome time! The Amazon was truly amazing. Recommend you go to see the opera house in Manaus and also the Bio Bomba show in Parentins. It is pricey but well worth the price (have seen it twice already). Hopefully you will see the pink dolphins. The lecturers were very good

Been our experience that the length of the cruise is related to the art auctions. Seems like cruise up to at least 11 days will have auctions and longer cruises do not.

Edited by take us away

When we did this cruise in 2012 on the Prinsendam we noticed that the Digital Workshop was in the "Art Gallery", in fact if you go to the HAL website and look at the deck plan, it still is labeled that way. The Techspert told us, and the Hotel Director later confirmed, that in order to accommodate the Digital Workshop on the Prisendam the company made the decision to remove the Art program from the ship. So, she's the only ship that feasibly can't have art auctions and a gallery. To each their own, but I would assume that a larger percentage of the ship's cruising passengers take part in the Digital Workshop than an art auction.

When we did this cruise in 2012 on the Prinsendam we noticed that the Digital Workshop was in the "Art Gallery", in fact if you go to the HAL website and look at the deck plan, it still is labeled that way. The Techspert told us, and the Hotel Director later confirmed, that in order to accommodate the Digital Workshop on the Prisendam the company made the decision to remove the Art program from the ship. So, she's the only ship that feasibly can't have art auctions and a gallery. To each their own, but I would assume that a larger percentage of the ship's cruising passengers take part in the Digital Workshop than an art auction.

the digital workshop is always packed on any P'dam cruise I have been on.

Never seen the art auction on my cruises there, happily.

A pleasant surprise on the NYC/Bermuda trips a few years back was the replacement of the art auction with an extensive display of the paintings by Capt. Stephen Card, for sale of course and Stephen was on board and ready to sign them. I'm sure almost all of you recognize Capt. Card's name, it's his paintings of current and former HAL ships that hang on the landings in the foreward stairwell of most (all?) HAL ships. Perhaps they'll do it again with this year's Boston/Bermuda sailings, Stephen lives part of the year in Bermuda and is an affable and very interesting man to meet and chat with about his work for HAL (and Cunard), his passion (painting), his career as a sea-going Captain, and what to do and see in Bermuda.

Edited by Dave in NJ