Are suites worth the extra $$?

Just looking for some opinions… We've always stayed in a balcony stateroom, but may be considering a suite for our next cruise.

Is a Grand Suite worth almost $2000 more than a balcony on Freedom? Is a GS worth almost $3000 more than an ocean balcony on Oasis?

We were also looking at Crown Loft suites on Oasis… those are about $1200 more than the Grand Suites. For those of you who have stayed in the loft suites, did you think they were actually worth the extra $$$? We want this cruise to be special.

Besides the new suite restaurant/lounge on Oasis, what other perks do the suites get on either Oasis or Freedom?

Just looking for some opinions… We've always stayed in a balcony stateroom, but may be considering a suite for our next cruise.

Is a Grand Suite worth almost $2000 more than a balcony on Freedom? Is a GS worth almost $3000 more than an ocean balcony on Oasis?

We were also looking at Crown Loft suites on Oasis… those are about $1200 more than the Grand Suites. For those of you who have stayed in the loft suites, did you think they were actually worth the extra $$$? We want this cruise to be special.

Besides the new suite restaurant/lounge on Oasis, what other perks do the suites get on either Oasis or Freedom?

In my opinion no, not the amount asked.

You eat the same food as everyone else.

For me, no. For others, yes. To me it is not 2 or 3 vacations worth "better" for the space and amenities of the suite for one vacation. I see the appeal though and if the coin's not much of a concern, who am I to stop anyone else living it up.

There's a diminishing return basically, in my view.

Edited by LMaxwell

For us there are several factors. If we are going to ports we have been to several times we will often get a suite because we know we are spending more time on the ship and enjoy readingand napping on the balcony. Also if we are doing b2b we enjoy suites because it gives us more room to spread out for the extended vacation.

Price is also a factor. When we can book well in advance we often book suites which will be at a price that is the same as a balcony when booked closer to the departure date.

We never regret suites, but we enjoy cruises no matter what room type!

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

For us there are several factors. If we are going to ports we have been to several times we will often get a suite because we know we are spending more time on the ship and enjoy readingand napping on the balcony. Also if we are doing b2b we enjoy suites because it gives us more room to spread out for the extended vacation.

Price is also a factor. When we can book well in advance we often book suites which will be at a price that is the same as a balcony when booked closer to the departure date.

We never regret suites, but we enjoy cruises no matter what room type!

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Thanks, that's a good way of looking at it. This cruise will be all repeat ports for us, so I was thinking the suite would make it special.

You can ask but you won't know until you try it. ;)

And that's very true. :D:cool:

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I got a JS for $500.00 more than a balcony, and decided to try it out on the next cruise. The next day that price went way up. Maybe it was a mistake, but I still grabbed it. At $2000.00 absolutely no. I don't need the extra room, or the bathtub, or a big closet. Just need a bed, and place to relax.

I got a JS for $500.00 more than a balcony, and decided to try it out on the next cruise. The next day that price went way up. Maybe it was a mistake, but I still grabbed it. At $2000.00 absolutely no. I don't need the extra room, or the bathtub, or a big closet. Just need a bed, and place to relax.

I know a lot of people like JS, extra room, bathtub, etc., and the double C&A points are nice, but they are not really a true suite - no real suite privileges. So I would not pay extra for a JS.

Much prefer to get an aft balcony - especially the corner ones - on the Independence class the corners on deck 10 are as big as some JS.

I know a lot of people like JS, extra room, bathtub, etc., and the double C&A points are nice, but they are not really a true suite - no real suite privileges. So I would not pay extra for a JS.

Much prefer to get an aft balcony - especially the corner ones - on the Independence class the corners on deck 10 are as big as some JS.

Junior Suites do give you double C&A points. :D

We have sailed exclusively in suites - in the early years of cruising it was JS's, and in the past 5 or so years, almost always Owners Suites, and even the Royal Suite last Feb on the Adventure (a paid upgrade). We are far from suite snobs, we just value the extra space and tend to spend time in our suite because we have been to all of the ports many, many times. The perk I especially appreciate is the reserved pool deck seating - it's worth it's weight in gold on a sea day when 3000 people are scrambling for chairs in the sun. I guess everyone has their own reasons for what they book. At the end of the day, you just book what you will be happy with :):o

I think it starts with how much you are willing to pay for getting a suite. Is that $$ worth the double points? Is the extra space worth it? With the new changes to CL and Suite Lounges being added (Oasis, Allure and possibly Freedom) are those extra perks worth it? For many, the answer is yes. We tend to like the the extra space the JS provides and the perk of double points and etc. The most I have ever paid for a JS is on Oasis and Allure. So I use that as a threshold to determine if I should pay x and book another JS on another ship sailing a similar 7 day and if longer does the math make sense to me. When the BOGHO first started earlier this year some of the pricing was "great". Great to the extent that for some sailings the price of a GS was way less than what we have paid for a JS in previous sailings.

At the end of the day, its all about Taste, Peference and $$$.

Happy sailings and Happy Holidays.

I loved the GS and the perks that went with it, I have 2 GS booked one for Navigator other for Liberty and I paid under 1600 a person for each 7 day cruise. I really like RCCL but not totally loyal. I have not sailed on the Oasis yet since I would rather have a GS a older ship that still has most of the features and perks as the brand new ones. I do look forward to sailing on Oasis in the future when prices go down. But I started sailing in inside rooms back in the days when no ships had balconies and there is nothing wrong with any cabin that fits into your budget.

Having sailed in them a couple of times (on good deals and nowhere near the prices you are suggesting) we personally have decided that we would rather take more cruises, sail more days or sail to a more interesting place than in a suite.

We've done all of the big categories and don't find that we would be $3000 more comfortable in a suite than an inside room. We like having a balcony for the right price. Oceanviews make no sense to me and I wouldn't pick them again unless it was the only option for a certain cruise that I really wanted to be on.

I loved the GS and the perks that went with it, I have 2 GS booked one for Navigator other for Liberty and I paid under 1600 a person for each 7 day cruise. I really like RCCL but not totally loyal. I have not sailed on the Oasis yet since I would rather have a GS a older ship that still has most of the features and perks as the brand new ones. I do look forward to sailing on Oasis in the future when prices go down. But I started sailing in inside rooms back in the days when no ships had balconies and there is nothing wrong with any cabin that fits into your budget.

We scored a GS on Oasis for less than $1600pp for 1/9/16. Check it out.:D

Whether a JS or full suite is "worth it" is a really subjective thing, dependent on income, lifestyle, preferences, etc. To me a JS is absolutely worth the extra money we've spent over the years. A GS has to be priced right or it has to be a special occasion for me to spring for it. But if I'm prepared to spend, say, $5k on a vacation and can get a GS for that amount, I'll do it even if a D-1 is half the price.

I think it starts with how much you are willing to pay for getting a suite. Is that $$ worth the double points? Is the extra space worth it? With the new changes to CL and Suite Lounges being added (Oasis, Allure and possibly Freedom) are those extra perks worth it? For many, the answer is yes. We tend to like the the extra space the JS provides and the perk of double points and etc. The most I have ever paid for a JS is on Oasis and Allure. So I use that as a threshold to determine if I should pay x and book another JS on another ship sailing a similar 7 day and if longer does the math make sense to me. When the BOGHO first started earlier this year some of the pricing was "great". Great to the extent that for some sailings the price of a GS was way less than what we have paid for a JS in previous sailings.

At the end of the day, its all about Taste, Peference and $$$.

Happy sailings and Happy Holidays.

Hello, we are considering booking a suite on Allure, and I wonder if you could tell me a bit more about the changes to the lounges that you mentioned? We have stayed in suites on smaller ships I'm just trying to decide if the perks would be worth the big price difference on Allure.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks :)

It all depends on what is important to you. There are other perks that were not mentioned here. Breakfast in Chops, is a major perk for us. Excellent service and cooked right there. The best breakfast!! Seperate seating at shows, so you don't have to get there really early for good seats. These things make it worth it for me.

Interesting question. Its clearly not a simple economic analysis - you've made the call early on that you're happy paying for a balcony rather than ocean view/inside rooms, so you are already at 2x plus what you could be cruising for. On a warm weather itinerary, that probably indicates that you prefer to be alone in your cabin than on deck with others. If that is your thing, and you are going to be spending considerable time there, how much is a bit more space and, to some more importantly, 'status', worth to you? Only you can really know.

As far as the crown lofts go, I'd stay in a lesser suite. On the Allure, we enjoyed a grand suite, owners suite and a crown loft suite. Personally I'd stay in the owners or grand again and skip the crown loft. The owners had the dining room table, a jetted tub, a much larger better equipped balcony and was just more comfy. I'm sure the crown loft appeals more to some folks, just not us. If I was choosing a suite, I'd save my money there.