Crown Princess - My Thoughts

Working 2 Cruise

There have been many things said about the Crown recently and I wanted to post a couple of observations.

1. Embarkation day snafus. There always be some... We had delayed embarkation and crowds at late traditional was a fiasco. However, I've learned not to get there until about 8:15 or 8:20 on the first day (thank you Pam!). It was great after that.

2. Food was the best we have ever had in the MDR. We also had great waiters which truly made late traditional wonderful and our choice moving forward.

3. I never had a watered down drink on this ship!

4. Comfortable beds...

5. Activities were plentiful. Because my husband was ill, we missed a lot, but still had a great time.

6. Eyes, I have to admit, I am as smoker... :) I'm sure that I'm going to try again to quit (I quit for three years once cold turkey) soon. However, here's what happened... Out of the very few smoking sections on the ship, there's a very nice one, deck 16 aft. Non-smokers would hog the section set for smokers!!! Some of them said, the smoke doesn't bother us... Those people would hog the tables and chairs for the majority of the day and, as such, smokers would have to stand... Why? Non-smokers have 99% of the ship, why steal precious space from us?

Rant over.

I loved my cruise on her and even though I had only sailed on the Sapphire and Golden, I enjoyed the Crown very much.

All in all, it's a great ship and I'm booked on her for the cruise of a lifetime, 28 days round-trip La-Tahiti!

Are all cabin type beds changed out to new ones?

I am going to be on Crown for Tahiti- Hawaii cruise and was thinking to bring a Egg crate topper. We will have a balcony cabin on Caribe deck. My back was killing me on the recent Grand Princess cruise in November. Just got back from Ruby. If I didn't ask for a mattress topper, would have been miserable. It made a bit of a difference but by day three, my hip was killing me and continued till I got home. Never had hip problem so it was sleeping on my side on a concrete slab that did it.They don't use Egg crate toppers , just a thin pillow top pad.

There have been many things said about the Crown recently and I wanted to post a couple of observations.

1. Embarkation day snafus. There always be some... We had delayed embarkation and crowds at late traditional was a fiasco. However, I've learned not to get there until about 8:15 or 8:20 on the first day (thank you Pam!). It was great after that.

2. Food was the best we have ever had in the MDR. We also had great waiters which truly made late traditional wonderful and our choice moving forward.

4. Comfortable beds...

5. Activities were plentiful. Because my husband was ill, we missed a lot, but still had a great time.

6. Eyes, I have to admit, I am as smoker... :) I'm sure that I'm going to try again to quit (I quit for three years once cold turkey) soon. However, here's what happened... Out of the very few smoking sections on the ship, there's a very nice one, deck 16 aft. Non-smokers would hog the section set for smokers!!! Some of them said, the smoke doesn't bother us... Those people would hog the tables and chairs for the majority of the day and, as such, smokers would have to stand... Why? Non-smokers have 99% of the ship, why steal precious space from us?

Rant over.

I loved my cruise on her and even though I had only sailed on the Sapphire and Golden, I enjoyed the Crown very much.

All in all, it's a great ship and I'm booked on her for the cruise of a lifetime, 28 days round-trip La-Tahiti!

I have to admit, I was one of the people who coveted a lounge chair in the aft area of deck 16-17. It took two days before I realized I was in the smokers section:o

That's the best deck of the ship!

Eyes, I have to admit, I am as smoker... :) I'm sure that I'm going to try again to quit (I quit for three years once cold turkey) soon. However, here's what happened... Out of the very few smoking sections on the ship, there's a very nice one, deck 16 aft. Non-smokers would hog the section set for smokers!!! Some of them said, the smoke doesn't bother us... Those people would hog the tables and chairs for the majority of the day and, as such, smokers would have to stand... Why? Non-smokers have 99% of the ship, why steal precious space from us?

!

Unless it is restricted to smokers only it is fair game. I wish you luck beating that habit to never be a slave to a cigarette again.

I am going to be on Crown for Tahiti- Hawaii cruise and was thinking to bring a Egg crate topper. We will have a balcony cabin on Caribe deck. My back was killing me on the recent Grand Princess cruise in November. Just got back from Ruby. If I didn't ask for a mattress topper, would have been miserable. It made a bit of a difference but by day three, my hip was killing me and continued till I got home. Never had hip problem so it was sleeping on my side on a concrete slab that did it.They don't use Egg crate toppers , just a thin pillow top pad.

We were on the Crown last week. I think we had one of the old beds in C614. Not very comfortable.

Thanks so much for your report. We have also enjoyed cruising on Crown several times.

Agree, there are very few places for smokers on that ship. Good for some BUT rather bad for others. Speakeasy (the cigar bar) is a friendly place to smoke indoors. ;)

LuLu

There is no way to tell if all the mattress's are changed out unless you talk with everyone in every stateroom. They will never be all new at the same time.

They are changed out on an ongoing basis so there are always going to be bad mattress's on any Princess ship unless its brand new.

Our CB cruise had the same experience you describe with our mattress. Unacceptable!!

Edited by Colo Cruiser

4. Comfortable beds...

Rant over.

Thanks for the thoughts, glad you had a great cruise. :)

I am going to bring a Egg crate with me on my long Crown cruise in October.

If I wind up with new mattress, will donate it to another suffering person with old mattress.We are going back on the Ruby for two weeks in March and I will have to bring egg crate then too. They are so cheap, will leave it on the ship

so next person can have comfort.

I don't know if it's me and my charmed life again or what, but I haven't had a bad bed on any Princess ship in at least two years. I am crossing my fingers and knocking on wood that I'm still lucky on the Crown in January.

I am going to bring a Egg crate with me on my long Crown cruise in October.

If I wind up with new mattress, will donate it to another suffering person with old mattress.We are going back on the Ruby for two weeks in March and I will have to bring egg crate then too. They are so cheap, will leave it on the ship

so next person can have comfort.

Why not ask for an egg crate for the ahead of time? We ask for one on all our Princess cruises.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

We were on Crown Princess last week in an inside cabin and our beds were very comfortable, with the best pillows I've ever had on Princess (non-Suite). FYI, the Lotus Spa pool was heated and not crowded. The swim against the current feature was disconnected though... there was a sign explaining why, something about health regulations.

Edited by RickEk

I don't know if it's me and my charmed life again or what, but I haven't had a bad bed on any Princess ship in at least two years. I am crossing my fingers and knocking on wood that I'm still lucky on the Crown in January.

Nor have we on 8 cruises on 5 different ships in the past 2 1/2 years.

Nor have we on 8 cruises on 5 different ships in the past 2 1/2 years.

It seems to be the luck of the draw. I was on the Golden recently, and my mattress was old (stained), thin and hard with a large "divet" in the center. Others in a nearby cabin commented on how nice their thick pillowtop mattress was. I understand they are slowly replacing them on an ongoing basis.

Glad to hear at least some good posts about the beds....although I suppose we can get a topper if it is too hard.....Will be on the Crown for our firt trip in april '15 and are very much looking forward to it! just a 7 day coastal but will be a great getaway.