Port Canaveral's New Terminal to debut Dec 27/14

emmy

If the terminal is ready, I wonder why the decided to change the 02JAN15 Enchantment from it's planned embarkation at T1 to T10 last week.

They aren't completely done with the sea wall and apron yet, so they may still need to have one of the crane barges there next week. Another consideration is that since this is the first cruise ship to dock there, they may need to re-check/inspect the impact that its props and thrusters have on the sea wall and the dredging they have done so far.

My guess is today is a very "soft" opening of T1:)

They aren't completely done with the sea wall and apron yet, so they may still need to have one of the crane barges there next week. Another consideration is that since this is the first cruise ship to dock there, they may need to re-check/inspect the impact that its props and thrusters have on the sea wall and the dredging they have done so far.

My guess is today is a very "soft" opening of T1:)

It also appears from the webcam that the other 4 terminals are occupied today, so that may have given them incentive to have the soft opening.

Just got on the explorer. Check in was a breeze. From taxi to on ship in about 10min. Seem to be no confusion other then the taxi driver not sure where to drop us off. I like the new terminal.

That sounds really good. Thanks for sharing this info. Any pictures you can share here? Thanks and Happy Holidays and have a great cruise.

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

It also appears from the webcam that the other 4 terminals are occupied today, so that may have given them incentive to have the soft opening.

Think they may have had no choice--heard if u got there early, check-in was easy but terrible traffic later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unfortunately for us we were on the Explorer and getting off this morning. Not told until yesterday by the Captain.

Well my husband is in a scooter and a friend that is 85 with a wheeled walker. LONG LONG walk from the ship to the luggage for my friend. Use to old terminal. Also the ramp was not handicap friendly. Husband's scooter got stuck twice going down. (of course people backed up behind us) Big humps on the connections of the ramps. And not wide enough to go slightly sideways as he does over a hump. I did see some Suits, So I ask them if they were with the Terminal. So I expressed my concerns and they listened and he said he did notice that this morning.

Another problem When we got our luggage. You have to go in the line with the self assist first then go left to the luggage. And of course we were the farthest number. Now the other terminal had access for handicap. I ask a women down the end, if we had to go all the way back and get in line. Well she said yes unless you get a porter and they go on the shorter Line$$$$???? Well I do not need a porter and so back we went to the other side of the building with the walker and scooter. Well sure enough there was a gentlemen leading the porters and handicap into a less winding lane. I told him he should inform his co-workers.

And the buses were BIG and luckily we could get my husband on with the scooter so I would not have to come back and load them up.

It truly was a mess. They left you off in the garage. And of Course I was all the way down in the open parking lot past the Ship. So I had to walk all the way and got the car. I was totally exhausted. Sorry for the Rant!!!!!Donna

We expected problems with the new terminal this morning and were very pleased with how everything was handled. We checked bags and it was just a few minutes from the ship to claiming the bags. The walk wasn't bad and no more escalators or tricky stairs. The ramps once inside the building are slip free. I do suggest that if you are disabled or need a wheel chair or use a scooter that you use the elevators --- or if you are at all challenged in walking... use the elevators. There are a good bank of elevators and easily accessible. We got to the luggage area and grabbed a porter. YES... we tip... and tip well... but it took us just a few minutes to get our luggage and get through customs. The lines are always long, but if yu use a porter they bypass the long lines and have their own line at customs. Out the door... to the shuttle bus... they put the luggage under the bus and dropped us at the garage. A porter took our luggage and the rest of our party to a waiting area, while I went up to get the car, and then drove to pick up my party. If everyone had done this rather than trying to load all the luggage and their party into the 2 elevators at the garage it wold have gone very fast for all. I went up 2 flights of stairs to grab an elevator in no time... and to my car. The line for the elevator in the garage was only getting longer as I drove down the ramp.

The new terminal is very nice... got a really good look at the check in area and garage and I think it will be really nice for Port Canaveral. When we were docking there were 4 cruise ships in the old terminal area... More cruise opportunities out of Port Canaveral !!! YEA...

Here are some pictures of our docking this morning

IMG_0242.jpg.1e47e5013aa1e210938f5302c0653927.jpg

863818827_IMG_0246(2).jpg.f1f1dd2700576009201decc76d9726af.jpg

519323181_IMG_0251(2).jpg.4799ae0781f0c89750083ec6e6d24156.jpg

Disembarkation at new terminal was a nightmare today. No direction once in the baggage area. Hundreds of people trying to que to get out. Rude line cutting, took forever. Once outside we were supposed to catch a bus to old terminal to get our car, busses kept pulling in, but no direction for loading and you would wait in one line, bus full, then the new bus would pull up in a different bay. We were already hot and cranky from the terminal, I just hired a cab. Got to parking garage, huge line for elevator. If they had told us we were using the new terminal, I would have parked off site and just caught a shuttle. I will post some photos tomorrow.

I was on the Explorer today and quite frankly, we walked off and followed directions to the shuttles, got on and went to Terminal 10. I was excited to be the first off at the new terminal. No escalators, one big ramp. Nice idea to keep people moving. Obviously not the perfect situation but in my opinion not too bad.

It can only get better!!!

Disembarkation at new terminal was a nightmare today. No direction once in the baggage area. Hundreds of people trying to que to get out. Rude line cutting, took forever. Once outside we were supposed to catch a bus to old terminal to get our car, busses kept pulling in, but no direction for loading and you would wait in one line, bus full, then the new bus would pull up in a different bay. We were already hot and cranky from the terminal, I just hired a cab. Got to parking garage, huge line for elevator. If they had told us we were using the new terminal, I would have parked off site and just caught a shuttle. I will post some photos tomorrow.

Isn't the name of this thread new terminal to debut on Dec 27? Seems to me someone thought you would disembark there. :o

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

It had been iffy as to whether Terminal 1 would be reAdy for a 12-27 debut for s few weeks especially as they had trouble digging out old prolongs and putting in new ones. They also have more work to do on apron and other areas. Terminal 1 seems to have been pressed into service as Port C had 5 ships in port yesterday.

It had been iffy as to whether Terminal 1 would be reAdy for a 12-27 debut for s few weeks especially as they had trouble digging out old prolongs and putting in new ones. They also have more work to do on apron and other areas. Terminal 1 seems to have been pressed into service as Port C had 5 ships in port yesterday.

Just got off Legend for 9 days. Left from 4, debarked from the Oasis terminal. Parked at pier, big surprise. Ship happens. :eek:

Just got off Legend for 9 days. Left from 4, debarked from the Oasis terminal. Parked at pier, big surprise. Ship happens. :eek:
You do realize that this thread is about Terminal 1 at Port Canaveral, don't you? Reading your posts it is not obvious that you are aware of that. The terminal being discussed in this thread has been built large enough to handle O-class. Now if the "Oasis terminal" you disembarked from was Terminal1 in Port Canaveral, and you were expecting to disembark at Terminal 4 in Port Everglades THAT would be a big surprise.

Thom

I believe the post is relating that in a similar situation at PE ... change of terminals twixt depart and return ... 'twas no biggie for them . . .

all depends on how the port handles the situation

and I find it funny that PC is playing up the new terminal and 5 ships .... they've been doing 5 on a Sunday occasionally with a visiting ship using the 'old terminal' near Jetty Park. That's where GRANDEUR parked on Sunday visits for quite some time now.

You do realize that this thread is about Terminal 1 at Port Canaveral, don't you? Reading your posts it is not obvious that you are aware of that. The terminal being discussed in this thread has been built large enough to handle O-class. Now if the "Oasis terminal" you disembarked from was Terminal1 in Port Canaveral, and you were expecting to disembark at Terminal 4 in Port Everglades THAT would be a big surprise.

Thom

Sorry you could not understand my post.

I was relating my experience in FLL to the posters experience in PC. We both experienced having to use two terminals.

Quantum is docking at Cruise Terminal 1 right now. Very cool watching it back into the pier.

Looking at it now .. wow that ship looks so weird from behind ... it looks like a big bus parked there.

Glad to hear it went smoothly for Saturday embarkation. What time did y'all arrive to check in? We've done somewhere around 10:30 for Freedom in the past, trying to figure out if we should stick around the same for our 2/26 EX cruise.

Glad to hear it went smoothly for Saturday embarkation. What time did y'all arrive to check in? We've done somewhere around 10:30 for Freedom in the past, trying to figure out if we should stick around the same for our 2/26 EX cruise.

Have friends on EX now. Embarkation on Saturday was smooth if you went to the terminal early but was a mess later in the morning. They left Cocoa Beach on a shuttle at 11:30 AM and were still on the bus at 1:30 PM.