Getting passport tomorrow! Card ok for Belize?

Mrs.Gosse

HELP! We are taking our adult children on a cruise to Cozumel, Belize and Honduras. DH and I have regular passport books but we are getting their passports tomorrow. Do my kids need books or can they just get cards.I have done as much research as I can but nothing is completely clear. People just keep quoting the passport website that says Carribean. I have also read that Belize and Honduras do not participate in the Western Hemisphere travel initiate.

What I need is for someone to PLEASE tell me if they PERSONALLY have used a card or been with a person who used a card in belize and Honduras.

Thanks everyone!! I'm freaking out and it's the difference of $400.'

I posted this in the Belize forum but they are not very active over there. Thought I would try here where I am more familiar.

HELP! We are taking our adult children on a cruise to Cozumel, Belize and Honduras. DH and I have regular passport books but we are getting their passports tomorrow. Do my kids need books or can they just get cards.I have done as much research as I can but nothing is completely clear. People just keep quoting the passport website that says Carribean. I have also read that Belize and Honduras do not participate in the Western Hemisphere travel initiate.

What I need is for someone to PLEASE tell me if they PERSONALLY have used a card or been with a person who used a card in belize and Honduras.

Thanks everyone!! I'm freaking out and it's the difference of $400.'

I posted this in the Belize forum but they are not very active over there. Thought I would try here where I am more familiar.

I don't know anything other than what is on the passport website, but, I would suggest that they get the regular books. The books are good for 10 years and who knows where in the world that they may be able to go in those future years.:cool:

We were in Belize and we did not need our passports as we were on the cruise.

That said, as far as I know,the cards are only good for ground or ship travel between the US Canada and Mexico and the Bahamas.

They are not good for air travel. So, if you are going overseas I would carry the passport book.

You do not need the cards or a passport for belize per se. You DO need actual passports if you have an issue along the way or if your cruise is not starting and ending at the same port (closed-loop). The cards are only used for land transport from Canada and Mexico.

............ The cards are only used for land transport from Canada and Mexico.

Or: Valid when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry.

Edited by ar1950

To get on the cruise: the card works, as it is a closed-loop cruise from a US port, aond a WHTI-compliant document works.

Now, for the what-if: if something were to happen, only a passport book will work for entering Belize or Honduras. While a port call isn't considered "entry" in this case, situations arise where getting off a ship and back to the U.S. as quickly and efficiently as possible is in your best interest. For that, a book is essential.

For the more gory what-if: Mexico, Belize and Honduras are foreign countries (duh) where police work can be somewhat "entrepreneurial". No other document besides an actual passport comes with a treaty recognition of consular protection. Things happen. People need to seek the protection and support of their consul. The card alone may create a case of "I had no idea they were Americans. They didn't have passports".

Get both. You only pay the execution fee once, the card add-on to the book is comparatively cheap and is quite durable.

To get on the cruise: the card works, as it is a closed-loop cruise from a US port, aond a WHTI-compliant document works.

Now, for the what-if: if something were to happen, only a passport book will work for entering Belize or Honduras. While a port call isn't considered "entry" in this case, situations arise where getting off a ship and back to the U.S. as quickly and efficiently as possible is in your best interest. For that, a book is essential.

For the more gory what-if: Mexico, Belize and Honduras are foreign countries (duh) where police work can be somewhat "entrepreneurial". No other document besides an actual passport comes with a treaty recognition of consular protection. Things happen. People need to seek the protection and support of their consul. The card alone may create a case of "I had no idea they were Americans. They didn't have passports".

Get both. You only pay the execution fee once, the card add-on to the book is comparatively cheap and is quite durable.

The best explanation for a good reason for getting both the card and book. We did that exactly for that reason. When in the Caribbean, Mexico or Canada we take both. We carry the card for our government ID and keep the book in the safe in the ship. We keep a copy of the local port agent contact info for the port with us when off the ship. At least we have the ability to contact the ship via the port agent to get our passport books if needed. Also, if we ever lost (ie: had our IDs stolen while in a port) our most critical document, the book, is still safely locked in the safe in our cabin on the ship. It never hurts to be "too careful" at times.:cool:

I would suggest having both as others have suggested above. When we cruise we have both with us... one in the safe and the other on our person. Additionally we have color copies of both in the safe as well as on our person just in case. Maybe a bit over cautious?

One thing that I am curious about is where you got the difference being $400 dollars?

When I renewed and got the passport book and the card it was only a $30 difference to get the card at the same time as the passport book... Unless you are talking about a lot of adult kids, or expedited service fees, a private company providing a service for you, or something else I am not sure where the cost could be so high? Not being critical, just wondering if someone quoted you outlandish figures, and I am just trying to help. Here is the current pricing that I just looked at:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/fees.html

I am also attaching a PDF from the same site to make life easy.

Also you only have to do this once every 10 years if I remember correctly.

Happy Cruising!

Mark

Passport Fees Chart 2014_TSG.pdf

Edited by cruisehappy001
Add Attachment

Taken from the state department's website:

Traveling by Sea?

All adult U.S. citizens arriving by sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean must have a passport.*

Either a passport book or passport card may be used.

All U.S. citizens may apply for a passport card.

To learn more about the passport card, including how to apply and the differences between the passport book and passport card, please visit our U.S. Passport Card page.

*"Closed-Loop" Cruises: If you are a U.S. citizen, and you board a cruise ship at a U.S. port, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship, you may present government-issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or certified copy of your birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

So assuming nothing goes wrong, a passport card is sufficient. If you're looking to get 3 or 4 new passports for adult children, it's definitely about $400 more than just getting cards. I'm a nervous person and would probably get the passport, but you've asked if passport cards are allowed, which they are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did not know that you could get a passport card WITHOUT having a US Passport already or at the same time of application! I have learned something new, and that could explain the higher cost in this scenario.

(I was more worried that some dubious merchant was "handling" this for them and charging some outrageous fee or something.)

Regardless I still feel that both the passport and card are a good investment, especially in emergency situations and also after the kids get hooked on cruising with you and then want to plan other cruises from ports that require passports! HA HA ;):D:)

Whatever you choose... Happy Cruising!

Mark

Edited by cruisehappy001

The OP is taking a closed loop out of Houston and doing the Western Caribbean.

The OP is leaving on a closed loop out of Houston and doing the Western Caribbean.

And assumed to be returning in the same closed loop ...

which in reality may or may not be the case.... :eek:

get the book ... the only way to fly

Last October our ship returned to port without us on it due to a medical emergency, and seems we're not the only ones

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2142378

Edited by MauiLvrs

Last I looked, isn't a passport book $110 and the agent fee $25? Based on your sail date and the time of year, you really don't need expedited processing for the extra $60. The books are also shipped Priority Mail with delivery confirmation; the cards ship regular first class with no tracking. Books can be upgraded to overnight Express Mail for $15ish.

Some passport agent locations will let you enclose multiple passport applications, each in separate inner envelopes, in one Express Mail envelope for traceable delivery to the National Passport Center. This is cheap peace of mind, too, when spread over a couple applications.

HELP! We are taking our adult children on a cruise to Cozumel, Belize and Honduras.

Based on what you say your children are over 16 years of age. If over 16 years Passports are good for 10 years. I personally would get the passports. I'm assuming you are just paying, they of course will have to be the applicants. Read here for everything you need to know: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/do-i-need.html

Assume your children are all U.S. citizens subject to U.S. passports.

We were in Belize and we did not need our passports as we were on the cruise.

That said, as far as I know,the cards are only good for ground or ship travel between the US Canada and Mexico and the Bahamas.

They are not good for air travel. So, if you are going overseas I would carry the passport book.

I was on a cruise that stopped in Belize and we need a passport to get cleared to go ashore. Once ashore you needed ship ID and a photo government Id

Get a passport....it will be required very soon for ALL travel outside your country....and in some cases for Air Travel anywhere. They are goof for 10 years in US.

I would suggest having both as others have suggested above. When we cruise we have both with us... one in the safe and the other on our person. Additionally we have color copies of both in the safe as well as on our person just in case. Maybe a bit over cautious?

One thing that I am curious about is where you got the difference being $400 dollars?

When I renewed and got the passport book and the card it was only a $30 difference to get the card at the same time as the passport book... Unless you are talking about a lot of adult kids, or expedited service fees, a private company providing a service for you, or something else I am not sure where the cost could be so high? Not being critical, just wondering if someone quoted you outlandish figures, and I am just trying to help. Here is the current pricing that I just looked at:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/fees.html

Happy Cruising!

Mark

I also take both the book & card with me on cruises. Generally I'll leave the book in my cabin when visiting a port.

Happy Cruising!

Mark

4 adult children

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

• 1 year later...
I was on a cruise that stopped in Belize and we need a passport to get cleared to go ashore. Once ashore you needed ship ID and a photo government Id

Get a passport....it will be required very soon for ALL travel outside your country....and in some cases for Air Travel anywhere. They are goof for 10 years in US.

When was this? Were you on a closed loop cruise? (Started and ended at the same US port?)

Lets see 4 children for $400 =$100 per child for 10 years each =$10/yr is a pretty small amount to pay for peace of mind and better protection for yourself anywhere you may travel in the world. I carry my passport on any trip including the fact that I use it as my ID when flying domestically.As things continue to evolve the use of a passport as primary source of ID will likely expand. I would definitely get them for the kids.

A passport is one of the best gifts you can give an adult child! Think of it as a long term investment.

You can probably get by with a birth certificate and drivers license (just guessing) but I wouldn't risk it. It will be far more complicated if they get sick in port and have to stay there and return to the US later via air. Young people get sick also!