Why do lower beds have to be in twin config w/ an upper berth? Pushback from steward

Cafabi

It's the only option on the cruise personalizer and the default configuration on embarkation, but it's never taken anything but a simple request to get them moved together...until last week.

When I asked our steward to put the lower beds together, he said that he would have to speak with his supervisor. I told him that we like to keep the upper berth down all the time and that he would not need to change the linens or access it at all. But he insisted on clearing it with is supervisor and said something about falling out of the bed.

Finally around dinnertime, the supervisor came and gave us a stern lecture about how they had had some "incidents" lately with people jumping from the top bed and getting injured. He said that he would put the beds together, but emphatically stated several times that they would not be responsible for any injuries. I said that I understood and assured him there would be no jumping on the bed.

So my question is why do they do it this way? If it is really about injuries, wouldn't it be better to fall on a nice soft bed than to fall 2 more feet onto the floor? I don't sleep well anyway, but a twin for 7 nights would not result in coming back new.

To illustrate the above post:

Here's a quad occupancy cabin with the two lowers made up for double occupancy. Imagine if the bunk beds were then lowered into the 'down' position, and all four beds were in use...

11269842136_927d0e331b_c.jpg

Wow, that interior room seems roomier than I've recalled. Thanks for the picture.

They always pushed the two lower beds together when we traveled with our kids. The kids would put the ladder at the foot of the bed and climb in. Never had to ask them to do it. My guess is that you got someone who wants to enforce a different rule. It's just like the MDR. Sometimes they enforce the dress code sometimes they look the other way. Sometimes they check the cards to see if you belong in anytime dining and sometimes they don't.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Looking at the picture I can see why they would like to have them separated and placed under the bunks. When the bunks are down they would certainly create a potential for someone to hit their head or run into them with the lower beds together. If someone got out of bed at night (not thinking about the bunk) and stood up they would ram their head right into the bottom of the lowered bunk. Also if someone was walking around the bed and not paying attention they would walk right into it at face level.

Certainly there would seem to be a higher risk of injury with the bunk beds being used and the lower beds pushed together, so i could certainly understand the crews position and their focus on the risk of injury. I suspect they have seen more than one or two cases.

The issue is liability. If the bottom beds are pushed together, then the ladders to the upper bunks have to be at the end of the bunks, partially blocking the passageway to the bathroom and cabin door. Not to mention that some irresponsible people would jump from the bunk to the lower bed.

Always follow the money. :) While you think you wouldn't trip over the ladders during the night, it's a possibility. And while you know someone in your cabin wouldn't jump from the bunk to the bed, Princess isn't willing to accept that liability. People have done really stupid things that you couldn't imagine someone doing.

I've never been in a quad cabin as depicted in the photo, so I am just laying this out in my head, but.....would it make a difference (i.e., be better) if the night stand on one side of the lower bed were moved so that the lower bed was pushed up against one wall? That way, one of the upper berths would be directly over half of the queen bed (which is the preferred layout). That would seem to at least solve half of the problem. Not sure what the overlap would be between the other upper berth and the queen bed below it.

The issue is liability. If the bottom beds are pushed together, then the ladders to the upper bunks have to be at the end of the bunks, partially blocking the passageway to the bathroom and cabin door. Not to mention that some irresponsible people would jump from the bunk to the lower bed.

Always follow the money. :) While you think you wouldn't trip over the ladders during the night, it's a possibility. And while you know someone in your cabin wouldn't jump from the bunk to the bed, Princess isn't willing to accept that liability. People have done really stupid things that you couldn't imagine someone doing.

Had not even thought about the ladder partially blocking the route to the exist and bathroom. That adds (as you pointed out) even more potential safety hazards.

Having sailed in an ocean view with 2 kids I can tell you first hand that the ladder never got in the way at the foot of the bed. The little round table and the chair were always in the way. You stand more of a chance tripping on the ladder if it's protruding from the side of the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses. I know it would be very difficult to make the upper berth with the beds together, especially if there were 2 like in the photo. I am glad that we came to a workable compromise with leaving the upper berth unmade. To be honest, we put the ladder in the closet because my son preferred to climb into his bed via the lower one. But there was no jumping out of it--it was more like slithering.

Having sailed in an ocean view with 2 kids I can tell you first hand that the ladder never got in the way at the foot of the bed. The little round table and the chair were always in the way. You stand more of a chance tripping on the ladder if it's protruding from the side of the bed.

Isn't that the truth! Sailing in an obstructed view once, I asked to have the table removed. The steward looked at me like I was crazy, but he ultimately obliged. I know he had to find a place for it, but there was zero floor space with that in there.

I hope that we continue to get accommodating stewards in the future, because I just really prefer the beds together.

When we go to Alaska on The Ruby this summer we will keep the lower bed in twin configuration. Our daughters don't fall out of bed as they have bunk beds at home. However the stuffed animals, pillows and blankets are another story. I don't really want to have DD's stuffed kitty land on my face at 3am...

On our last cruise... Caribbean Princess we asked our steward to place the beds against the wall with the bunk lowered above the bed. It worked out great. My daughter slept above us no problem. The funniest thing was our stewards worry about someone hitting their head with this configuration.... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've had the same initial resistance to putting the beds together on several cruises but safety was never the objection. We've always been told that the issue is that they can't make the upper bunk without standing on the lower bed.

After we tell the steward that it is perfectly fine for him to stand on the lower bed, they've put them together without problem. They usually say they have to inform their supervisor, however. I've always offered to speak to their supervisor if necessary and have never needed to do so...

I don't fault Stewart at all, he is doing his job. :(

It's the only option on the cruise personalizer and the default configuration on embarkation, but it's never taken anything but a simple request to get them moved together...until last week.

When I asked our steward to put the lower beds together, he said that he would have to speak with his supervisor. I told him that we like to keep the upper berth down all the time and that he would not need to change the linens or access it at all. But he insisted on clearing it with is supervisor and said something about falling out of the bed.

Finally around dinnertime, the supervisor came and gave us a stern lecture about how they had had some "incidents" lately with people jumping from the top bed and getting injured. He said that he would put the beds together, but emphatically stated several times that they would not be responsible for any injuries. I said that I understood and assured him there would be no jumping on the bed.

So my question is why do they do it this way? If it is really about injuries, wouldn't it be better to fall on a nice soft bed than to fall 2 more feet onto the floor? I don't sleep well anyway, but a twin for 7 nights would not result in coming back new.

The other way people may be injured is if someone in the top bunk climbs out of bed and stands on top of the person laying on the lower bed.