Can I sail on Norwegian and NOT go freestyle?

loveandcruises

NCL MDRs are now accepting reservations. It seems feasible that you could reserve the same time, in the same MDR, (there are 3 main dining rooms on the Breakaway), for every night of your cruise.

A conversation with the Maitre'd on the first night should guarantee the same table and waitstaff for every night.

As far as dress, you could establish and follow your own dress code, without regard to what others are wearing, and produce your desired dining effect.

Why not?

Harvey

PS A few years ago, on the Oasis of the Seas, on a back to back, we did my time dining. But every night, at the Maitre'd stand, we requested the same waiter, and were granted our wish, albeit sometimes a short wait. It can be done.

A conversation with the maitre d' can't guarantee the same table and waitstaff each night. Waiters on NCL are rotated to various stations and even to different dining rooms during the course of the cruise.

A conversation with the maitre d' can't guarantee the same table and waitstaff each night. Waiters on NCL are rotated to various stations and even to different dining rooms during the course of the cruise.

If that's true, maybe then the conversation should be with the waiter themselves; to find out which MDR they'll be in the next day, dine at that MDR, and then request from that dining room's Maitre'd said waiter. There has to be a way! The staff aim to please.

Harvey

If that's true, maybe then the conversation should be with the waiter themselves; to find out which MDR they'll be in the next day, dine at that MDR, and then request from that dining room's Maitre'd said waiter. There has to be a way! The staff aim to please.

Harvey

It's not even MDR staff... We had the same server in the MDR once that we had in Le Bistro later! They rotate all over.

OP, as others have said, there are ways you might be able to replicate something that resembles a traditional cruise dining experience, but it would be extra work, likely to involve some waits and still isn't guaranteed. Plus no one else will be attempting the same level of formality so even if you are able to pull it off perfectly for your party, the ambiance won't be the same - others will be dressed casually and there will be a good deal of coming & going around the dining room during your meal as others are seated.

I understand prices and schedules are limiting your choices, but with what you've described, I really don't think NCL is a good fit for you. That's fine - different strokes for different folks! But trying to create a traditional dining experience on a cruise line that has built its identity on the freestyle concept is likely to result in frustration for you. You can't go to an Italian restaurant and ask for Mexican food and expect to be happy with the results, you know? Just not what they do.

Edited by TowerOrchard

It's not even MDR staff... We had the same server in the MDR once that we had in Le Bistro later! They rotate all over.

OK! I stand corrected. OP, it looks like your task cannot be accomplished on the Breakaway. You may make a MDR reservation for the same time every night. You may also establish your own dress code for yourselves alone. But it appears all of the waitstaff are floaters. Therefore, no guarantee on the same waitstaff every night.

Good luck and happy cruising!

Harvey

Just curious ... I've been on 30 cruises, but gave up on Norwegian years ago when they started the Freestyle thing. However, family schedules and expensive airfares are preventing us from sailing out of any other than our own homeport of NYC in February -- which leaves us with RCCL's Quantum of the Seas (ka-ching!) or the Norwegian Breakaway. I never liked the idea of Freestyle -- we are traditionalists and enjoy having a set dining time with the same wait staff every night. Can we still get that on Norwegian, or is there absolutely no way? Would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks.

Have you tried the freestyle cruising yet? It took me years (literally) to get my parents on NCL because they also like the traditional cruising. I finally got them on a cruise with us last year. They enjoyed it so much, they bought the future cruise certificate to book another. Try it ... it's a cruise! How bad can it be?

Harvey

Sorry Harvey but NCL is FREESTYLE and that is the way. Are there some things that can be accomplished by the OP, yes? They can, if they wish, make their dining reservations on line pre-cruise, however, to request the same waiter, unlikely to happen as others have said and not really fair to the waiter since it could mean they'd have to change their schedule to accommodate them.

I'm afraid that without flexibility, and a more relaxed attitude, I'd have to agree that NCL is not for the OP.

Whatever you choose to do OP, I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Sorry Harvey but NCL is FREESTYLE and that is the way. Are there some things that can be accomplished by the OP, yes? They can, if they wish, make their dining reservations on line pre-cruise, however, to request the same waiter, unlikely to happen as others have said and not really fair to the waiter since it could mean they'd have to change their schedule to accommodate them.

I'm afraid that without flexibility, and a more relaxed attitude, I'd have to agree that NCL is not for the OP.

Whatever you choose to do OP, I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Out of the 7 nights, we ate in the MDR 5. We were able to request and have the same waitress all but 1 of those nights, and that was only because she had just taken a large table and couldn't also take our large group. It can be done, and she is the one who told us to do it! If we knew we were going to eat in the MDR, we would ask her where she would be. She mainly rotated between the 2 MDRs for dinner. Regardless, we never had bad waitstaff, and pretty much no matter who we had, they were working the buffet or dining room for lunch, and always came up to us and said hello.

After reading these replies, the few that have not liked "freestyle" sound like they prefer a more "regimented style" of dining. Not speaking from experience, but it sounds like prison ! You !....... sit down here now.........Hey You ! ........ eat this ........ Yes You ! ........ Hurry up there's more waiting to sit there !

I know that's not the way it's done, just being sarcastic, but if you don't like Freestyle then why did you cruise with NCL in the first place ?

Just curious !

cheers...the Ump...:D

Price, schedule, itinerary. For us, it's mostly the itinerary.

We have to 'create' our own schedule for dining, etc. Due to medical issues with DS, we have to stick to a schedule, so his meds and feeding are at same time every day.. I suspect we're not the only ones who have to stick to a schedule for medical reasons.

I never understood why some on these boards have to stoop to insulting someone asking a question they may not know the answer to. The OP asked a question with not a single negative thing about other than what he/she liked and if it could be accomplished on NCL.

If you don't know the answer there's no need to reply and if you know the answer please state it clearly, other wise SHUT UP!

What posts were insulting:confused:? I don't recall reading any.

Just curious ... I've been on 30 cruises, but gave up on Norwegian years ago when they started the Freestyle thing. However, family schedules and expensive airfares are preventing us from sailing out of any other than our own homeport of NYC in February -- which leaves us with RCCL's Quantum of the Seas (ka-ching!) or the Norwegian Breakaway. I never liked the idea of Freestyle -- we are traditionalists and enjoy having a set dining time with the same wait staff every night. Can we still get that on Norwegian, or is there absolutely no way? Would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks.

Rather than discouraging you, as some other posters have, you might just try Breakaway and see how you like it. You might have a very enjoyable time, provided that you accept that it will be different. That said, I have sailed a lot with my mom, and we always ate fairly early (5:30-ish). I felt like our dining experience was fairly traditional. No, we didn't have the same waiter every evening, but the majority of our servers have been friendly and efficient. Also, given the current promotion, you might want to select the Ultimate Dining Package, and use this cruise to sample a variety of restaurants. If you dine in a different restaurant every night, you won't notice that you're server is a different person. ;) Good luck with your choice!

My opinion only. But the poster makes a reference to funds. A NCL cruise is still going to cost a fair amount of cash. Probably around $3000 total for 2? General Reference. Now if funds are tight, how long is it going to take to get back to that amount again, and the ability to go on another vacation? There is no way, I would consider spending on a lackluster, too compromised trip, even without my budget restrictions.

They will need to find their own way, and if NCL is going to be ok for their traveling style. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. :)

My opinion only. But the poster makes a reference to funds. A NCL cruise is still going to cost a fair amount of cash. Probably around $3000 total for 2? General Reference. Now if funds are tight, how long is it going to take to get back to that amount again, and the ability to go on another vacation? There is no way, I would consider spending on a lackluster, too compromised trip, even without my budget restrictions.

They will need to find their own way, and if NCL is going to be ok for their traveling style. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. :)

$3000 for 2? Seriously? I spent $1200 for 4 of us on our last cruise.

As far as the original question, the answer is YES. On Breakaway at least. See the Freestyle Daily below.

On the top left under Dining Reservations Options. You get the same table and the same waiter each and every night. You just have to eat early, between 5:30 and 6:00 in the three main dining rooms.

img003_zpsd2ada40c.jpg

As far as the original question, the answer is YES. On Breakaway at least. See the Freestyle Daily below.

On the top left under Dining Reservations Options. You get the same table and the same waiter each and every night. You just have to eat early, between 5:30 and 6:00 in the three main dining rooms.

img003_zpsd2ada40c.jpg

Good catch. OP, sounds like it's time to cruise like a Norwegian! :D

Why don't you drive 3 hours South on 95 and sail out of Baltimore? We have the RCI Grandeur of the Seas and in March the Carnival Pride returns from a dry dock and winter stay in Tampa. The parking is less than half what they charge in NYC. I prefer the Breakaway to other of the ships in Baltimore, but I hate traditional cruising and just eat at the buffet every night if I am forced into set dining times with strangers.

No nightly theatre shows? What do they have instead?

The newer NCL ships have two main shows in the theatre that are repeated about 4/5 times each cruise as the theatre only holds about 1/5th capacity of the ship.

So two nights you go to the theatre the others you go to one of the other entertainment venues on the ship.

I don't understand what you're saying here. :confused:

I'm saying that whenever I've spoke with say Royal Caribbean cruisers they are used to nightly shows in the theatre which are early show for 2nd sitting and late show for first sitting and that's it. Every night .

So what we doing tonight? Well we are on 8:30PM sitting so go to 7PM show then walk down to dinner.

It comes as a shock on NCLs newer ships when decisions have to be made. I guess some couples find decisions hard to make so being told dinner/show takes that out of their hands :)

Edited by Single Cruiser

I'm saying that whenever I've spoke with say Royal Caribbean cruisers they are used to nightly shows in the theatre which are early show for 2nd sitting and late show for first sitting and that's it. Every night .

So what we doing tonight? Well we are on 8:30PM sitting so go to 7PM show then walk down to dinner.

It comes as a shock on NCLs newer ships when decisions have to be made. I guess some couples find decisions hard to make so being told dinner/show takes that out of their hands :)

I didn't realize it was so difficult for a group of adults to see a show, find a restaurant, speak with a waiter, and find additional entertainment options.

Although I do understand that some prefer to plan every moment of their vacation a la Clark W. Griswald...

I didn't realize it was so difficult for a group of adults to see a show, find a restaurant, speak with a waiter, and find additional entertainment options.

Although I do understand that some prefer to plan every moment of their vacation a la Clark W. Griswald...

Lol. Trust me I've been on holidays with extended family. One wanted to see a show, one to a bar, one shops, one ...

With the newer NCL ships there is so much choice. A piano bar, ice bar, howl, O'Sheehans, drink on waterfront, theatre show, cirque show, Grammys/fat cats, ents in Spice H2O etc.. Each night is a choice.

I've sailed on Indepedence of the seas twice and nearly every night was meal at early sitting then the theatre show and then not much else was on, band in a lounge or dead nightclub.

one to a bar, one shops, one ...

With the newer NCL ships there is so much choice. A piano bar, ice bar, howl, O'Sheehans, drink on waterfront, theatre show, cirque show, Grammys/fat cats, ents in Spice H2O etc.. Each night is a choice.

Look at it this way... just keep feeding the group's complainers cocktails and it won't matter to them anymore where exactly they're going. Just keep explaining that "we're on the way" as you stop at each bar. If the chief complainer happens to be the self-elected group leader, they should follow the presribed advice above and all will wonderful!