Pool Deck loungers - how long can I hold?

Bery

I like the idea of having some kind of lockers, or some other area you could just leave your stuff while you swim, with perhaps a few regular chairs or benches you could use while you dry off and put on your shoes, etc.. We like to swim but are not lounge in the sun types. We end up using chair real estate while we are in the pool because there is just no other good place to put our towels and cover-ups, sandals, etc.. If there were, we would use them. There is some space along the corners of the pool, but if you leave your stuff there it is subject to getting wet.

Doing this could also allow different 'rules'. The chair is yours while you are in it - period. (perhaps one exception - going to the bathroom, would be reasonable). You put your stuff in the locker area, and when you are ready to lounge you go get it and find a chair. Some people go in and out of the pool a lot but most don't - they swim for awhile and then lounge (based on my observations on 30+ cruises). So this could solve the hogging problem and for the majority of people would NOT be a big inconvenience. Come on, Celebrity, give it a trial run:)

I like the idea of having some kind of lockers, or some other area you could just leave your stuff while you swim, with perhaps a few regular chairs or benches you could use while you dry off and put on your shoes, etc.. We like to swim but are not lounge in the sun types. We end up using chair real estate while we are in the pool because there is just no other good place to put our towels and cover-ups, sandals, etc.. If there were, we would use them. There is some space along the corners of the pool, but if you leave your stuff there it is subject to getting wet.

Doing this could also allow different 'rules'. The chair is yours while you are in it - period. (perhaps one exception - going to the bathroom, would be reasonable). You put your stuff in the locker area, and when you are ready to lounge you go get it and find a chair. Some people go in and out of the pool a lot but most don't - they swim for awhile and then lounge (based on my observations on 30+ cruises). So this could solve the hogging problem and for the majority of people would NOT be a big inconvenience. Come on, Celebrity, give it a trial run:)

I guess that I would question the logistics of putting in lockers, etc. With deck space being such a prime area and they want to put as many chairs and tables as they can on the deck, where would they put them? How many would there be? What about the complaints if they run out of them (can't you just hear them)?

And the biggest question which has nothing to do with logistics, which I believe the answer is no: Would chair hogs actually use them.

Again and again as I read cruise reviews, I read of the frustration of cruisers who see unoccupied loungers in prime locations usually empty for hours. Apparently, cruise staff do nothing about this. What would be wrong if someone looking for a lounger removed the abandoned property after a reasonable time -20 minutes?- 1/2 hour? Actually, no one is paying extra for their often daylong reserved lounger? Would those on this board agree that this is a reasonable solution?

Now how are you going to figure how long a chair has been vacant? Are. You going to watch and time it?

I am usually a late riser, and take what I get around the pool. This year, I vowed to get up early. I had great spots near the pool on my Christmas week cruise on Silhouette because I got up early and kept my spot all day. I didn't drop a towel and a magazine and go back to bed. A group walked by talking, and I heard one say, "I'd love to get those seats, but we never get up early enough!"

I did enjoy the scene one passenger was causing with a pool butler, however. This lady stormed over, and told the employee, "you HAVE to go make that man move! I put my stuff there this morning, now HE'S sitting there!" Best part? This was well after lunch. Yes, she put stuff on a chair first thing in the morning, and demanded justice because her chair wasn't reserved hours later. I was actually laughing out loud, this was taking place right next to me.

Now how are you going to figure how long a chair has been vacant? Are. You going to watch and time it?

Obviously enough busy bodies do. My contention is those are more of a problem. They do waste their time paying attention. I look forward to the time that is a large concern to me. Who truly care as it all works in the end.

Or - if you return after an absence of only 29 minutes to claim ownership of your towel "reserved" lounger which is occupied by a "busy body", you can inform that person of your entitlement. That sounds goofy, right? Let's not be naive. Good citizens will be good citizens and the inconsiderate will be inconsiderate. The basic question is, "Will good citizens honor the bad behavior of the rule breakers?".

I just wonder about all these people who pay for a cruise so they can get up early to "save" a seat by the pool... that does not look at the "big" puddle they are traveling thru. A deckchair that affords a view of the ocean would be my prime seat - Oh wait I have a balcony!

I just wonder about all these people who pay for a cruise so they can get up early to "save" a seat by the pool... that does not look at the "big" puddle they are traveling thru. A deckchair that affords a view of the ocean would be my prime seat - Oh wait I have a balcony!

I'm with ya', never understood the attraction of poolside. Hot, crowded, noisy, and yes, most importantly, you cannot even see the sea.

If that's what you like, why not save yourself some money and spend a week at a Holiday Inn in Orlando or another warm weather spot.

I'm with ya', never understood the attraction of poolside. Hot, crowded, noisy, and yes, most importantly, you cannot even see the sea.

It depends, some ships have pools filled with sea water.

Edited by Cuizer2

Never heard so much codswallop......sitting exactly where one might WANT to sit could be a problem I agree but don't tell me there aren't plenty of other vacant locations albeit in less sought after areas.

Whilst I have witnessed many of the instances mentioned I would never let it affect the enjoyment of my cruise in the way it has so obviously done to those who have posted.

We very rarely sit by the pool so chair hogging isn't an issue for us.

How about a technology solution - just like parking metres, they could have a device that turns green after 30 minutes of little weight on the chair!

Technology is so cheap now that the devices could be created for a couple of dollars!

If everyone knew that items would be removed by the pool staff when the meter turned green they would be back! If not, people looking for chairs could ask the staff to remove the items. Staff wouldn't have a problem trying to track the issue as the technology would let them know :D:D:D

Thanks for all the responses to my question! I didn't even think about chair hogging until I read this thread. It was my first cruise and I saw so many towel held chairs around me, (like the 3 chairs to the right of me were not occupied by people during the 5 hours I was out at the pool), I figured it was the norm.

I was totally wrong about that one! Glad I can up my pool etiquette on my next cruise :)

There are tables in the Aquaspa restaurant area and also aft' date=' beyond the cafeteria. Sometimes pax park themselves there for the day and play cards, read, whatever. Then when others look for a table while carrying their food, none are to be found. I once complained to a waiter, who merely shrugged.[/quote']

I could not help but comment on this, as this seems totally opposite of the purpose of the thread. I view a table like I view a sunlounger; if someone is PHYSICALLY occupying it, it is theirs to use to eat, play cards, socialize at, etc. There isn't a time limit on using something, just a time limit on claiming rights to it when you temporarily stop using it. I'm not sure what you realistically expected that waiter to do for you:confused:

I could not help but comment on this, as this seems totally opposite of the purpose of the thread. I view a table like I view a sunlounger; if someone is PHYSICALLY occupying it, it is theirs to use to eat, play cards, socialize at, etc. There isn't a time limit on using something, just a time limit on claiming rights to it when you temporarily stop using it. I'm not sure what you realistically expected that waiter to do for you:confused:

On our Eclipse Transatlantic in Ocean View Cafe, they put signs on tables requesting people to sue the tables only for dining during the busy meal periods.

In Aqua Spa Cafe, they had signs out saying the tables were reserved for dining during the lunch period.

There ad lots of places on the ship to grab a table and play games etc, without taking seating away from the prime lunchtime dining spots.

On our Eclipse Transatlantic in Ocean View Cafe, they put signs on tables requesting people to sue the tables only for dining during the busy meal periods.

In Aqua Spa Cafe, they had signs out saying the tables were reserved for dining during the lunch period.

There ad lots of places on the ship to grab a table and play games etc, without taking seating away from the prime lunchtime dining spots.

I agree, there are lots of places people can be. But if they are sitting and eating it doesn't matter to me it they are also socializing or playing a game, etc.

If it is one person at a 4 person table and they are sitting there just reading a book, that is a different story. There's proper utilization and improper utilization.

My main point is, I can't tell someone how long their lunch should be no more than I can tell them how long they should be in the sun. If they are physically utilizing the lounge chair or table for intended purposes there's really nothing crew can do about it.

Totally agree that they should put signs up. My last Celebrity cruise there were many playing cards during peak lunch times and they would just watch people walking around with their trays full of food looking for an open seat. People, use a little consideration for others and vacate the tables if you are just going to play cards or sit and daydream during peak times.

I agree, there are lots of places people can be. But if they are sitting and eating it doesn't matter to me it they are also socializing or playing a game, etc.

If it is one person at a 4 person table and they are sitting there just reading a book, that is a different story. There's proper utilization and improper utilization.

My main point is, I can't tell someone how long their lunch should be no more than I can tell them how long they should be in the sun. If they are physically utilizing the lounge chair or table for intended purposes there's really nothing crew can do about it.

So if the 1 person at the table for 4 is also eating while they are reading, then you also wouldn't care how long they could sit there? And if 4 people are at a table for 4 and they are just playing cards and not eating, then that would be improper utilization?

So if the 1 person at the table for 4 is also eating while they are reading, then you also wouldn't care how long they could sit there? And if 4 people are at a table for 4 and they are just playing cards and not eating, then that would be improper utilization?

I really don't want to drag this off topic, I stand by my original response. If someone is actively using something it is theirs to use. I think if 1 person uses a table for 4 in a busy dining area just to sit and read they are aloof.

I think if 1 person uses a table for 4 in a busy dining area just to sit and read they are aloof.

The "aloof" person would have a couple enjoying their meal in 2 of the 3 un-used seats if that was all that was available when we came by with food.

"Excuse me, are you using these seats?" goes a long way...shared tables are part of cruising.

Back on topic, if a chair is being used on the top part but no legs are on the bottom part - can a chair hog claim the bottom part with a flip flop?

Edited by bobsfamily

Back on topic, if a chair is being used on the top part but no legs are on the bottom part - can a chair hog claim the bottom part with a flip flop?

You just brought back a memory of one of the funniest moments of our TA on the Silhouette in November. During one of the (many wonderful) sea days, my spouse and I were reading on two loungers in the shade on the pool deck, the square-ish sofa-like ones along the side of the deck. We'd been there continuously since about 9am, enjoying the glorious weather in the middle of the Atlantic.

As it turned out, the ship was trying out a new poolside barbeque for lunch that day (we didn't even know this when we got our chairs that morning); by noon, the deck was packed, every chair was taken (no surprise). I'm fairly short, and so my legs did not fully extend into the entire bottom part of my lounger. Along came this huge guy who looked at me and said "is that taken?" He actually thought he could turn up at noon and sit on the bottom piece of my chair! :eek:

You just brought back a memory of one of the funniest moments of our TA on the Silhouette in November. During one of the (many wonderful) sea days, my spouse and I were reading on two loungers in the shade on the pool deck, the square-ish sofa-like ones along the side of the deck. We'd been there continuously since about 9am, enjoying the glorious weather in the middle of the Atlantic.

As it turned out, the ship was trying out a new poolside barbeque for lunch that day (we didn't even know this when we got our chairs that morning); by noon, the deck was packed, every chair was taken (no surprise). I'm fairly short, and so my legs did not fully extend into the entire bottom part of my lounger. Along came this huge guy who looked at me and said "is that taken?" He actually thought he could turn up at noon and sit on the bottom piece of my chair! :eek:

LOL - well there you go! Sadly the "me" mentality is alive and well.

Totally agree that they should put signs up. My last Celebrity cruise there were many playing cards during peak lunch times and they would just watch people walking around with their trays full of food looking for an open seat. People, use a little consideration for others and vacate the tables if you are just going to play cards or sit and daydream during peak times.
Even when they put out the signs asking people to use the tables only for eating during meal times, it is difficult to enforce.

It is actually a suggestion, not a requirement.

People just keep drinks or small dishes of food on the table while they are reading or playing games during peak meal times, so they could claim that they were still eating or drinking if questioned, although I doubt if any staff member would even question them.

Ideally, people would show consideration for others by not hogging tables in dining areas when they are not actually eating or drinking there, and by not hogging loungers at the pool when they are not actually using them.

But the reality is far from the ideal.