Pool Deck loungers - how long can I hold?

Bery

Must be some chair hoggers perusing this thread and it would be nice to hear their take on this subject. Maybe just reading this they will change their behaviour in time for the next cruise any of us are on. Anywhere there is water and chairs for public use this happens unless the attendants monitor.

I doubt they will answer this thread. They don't care and they will always be chair hogs because they feel it is their right and too bad for others that have a problem with them. Sad.

I am not a cruise chair hog! Mainly because I spend so little time around the pool.

In a former life (pre cruising) I was as good a chair hog as any!!

At resorts, it was the norm. You tipped the pool attendant and he watched your little piece of paradise! Even now, on a beach, we settle in and then take a LONG walk. I don't time ourselves, but I would never NOT take the walk in fear of being a chair hog.

I think the main problem on a ship is that there are not enough chaises to go around. Perhaps future ships should have more seating and larger pools.

If I wanted a chaise on deck, I would ask a nearby pax if it was free if there was only a towel on it (There are plenty of those). I wouldn't dream of touching someone else's belongings.

Where did you buy that??

DON

That is not mine. I was looking for a picture of a person made out of soft drink boxes, laying on a pool lounge chair, but could not find it. However, I came across the picture I did post. I have no idea who's it is nor which ship the picture was taken nor when (though I suspect it is an NCL ship because of the striped towel). In short, the picture is one I found on the Internet.

Personally, I rarely use a lounge chair, have always found one when I wanted one, and have never left anything on the lounge chair.

I was out taking pictures one morning and noticed someone on one of the lounge chairs. Later that day (several hours later) I noticed the same person, still on the same lounge chair. I though it was funny, saving a lounge chair by actually using it. Unfortunately I don't remember which ship I was on at the time. I'll look through my reviews later and if I find it, I'll repost it (yes, I took pictures).

If everyone used only their own butt to save a lounge chair, there would be plenty to go around. I know it's a hard-line attitude, but it works and it's not so bad. Even for people who are in the pool.......your towel and novel don't need a chair while you spend hours sitting on the edge of the pool. Sorry, but if EVERYONE was more considerate this wouldn't be a problem at all. If your butt wants to be in the same chair all day, enjoy! Otherwise, vacate and let others enjoy.

If everyone used only their own butt to save a lounge chair, there would be plenty to go around. I know it's a hard-line attitude, but it works and it's not so bad. Even for people who are in the pool.......your towel and novel don't need a chair while you spend hours sitting on the edge of the pool. Sorry, but if EVERYONE was more considerate this wouldn't be a problem at all. If your butt wants to be in the same chair all day, enjoy! Otherwise, vacate and let others enjoy.

That is the way it works almost everywhere else where you do not pay to reserve a specific seat.

Whether you go to the park, the mall, the library, the hospital waiting room, the bus terminal, the airport, a cafe, a government office, on and on...... you take any available seat and it is yours to use while you are sitting in it.

Then when you get up and leave, anyone else can sit there.

If you return again later, you take a different seat.

The same could work nicely on cruise ships if they would provide cubicles by the pool for people to leave their belongings, instead of leaving them on unoccupied lounge chairs.

When you sit in a chair on your balcony, that is "your" chair because you have paid to have it reserved for your own use exclusively, like buying a theater ticket for a specific seat.

Maybe a compromise could be to have one section of chairs for sale by the pool for those who are willing to pay to reserve a chair exclusively for their own use, like renting a cabana for the day.

Then the rest of the chairs would be open to everyone to use, so finding an available chair would not be a problem because all those unoccupied chairs would be available.

Edited by fleckle

I believe if you leave a chair unoccupied for 30 minutes, you should forfeit that chair. I wouldn't remove the items on the chair myself, I would get the pool butler to do it. One of the reasons people may be having trouble finding a chair is when other passengers "reserve" a chair in the sun and a chair in the shade. You should only use one chair! We have always found chairs are more available on the deck above the pool and the solarium.

I don't think those who have responded are repetitive. I have been ambivalent about the use of honoring sunglasses, novels, etc. to save loungers. My fellow cruisers have thoughtfully examined the pros and cons. I agree with the perspective that loungers must be available for all guests to enjoy. I haven't seen a convincing argument made that towels (belonging to Celebrity), or possessions apparently abandoned by their owners, should be honored. If I do not want anyone "to touch my possessions", I will not leave them on a deck lounger while I lunch, workout, etc.

On the Eclipse Dec 2014, in Solarium, there were notices on each recliner stating that if you left it unattended, your items would be removed after 30 minutes. We did see that enforced. It is about time they did that.

I didn't see that notice on our Jan.2014 Eclipse trip. I'll look to see if the notices are on them coming up in 2 weeks.

This thread, like all chair hog threads, is like the movie Groundhog Day. The same comments over and over and over...............:rolleyes:

Like Charlie Brown says............"Arghhhh!"

Or as the teacher would say "Waa Wuh Waa Wuh" Sorry, hard to make that sound like the teachers on the "Peanuts" specials.Trombone players please chime in. The preceding messege was meant to bring a little humor to this blog. Please stay tuned for further attempts at humor.

I don't think those who have responded are repetitive. I have been ambivalent about the use of honoring sunglasses, novels, etc. to save loungers. My fellow cruisers have thoughtfully examined the pros and cons. I agree with the perspective that loungers must be available for all guests to enjoy. I haven't seen a convincing argument made that towels (belonging to Celebrity), or possessions apparently abandoned by their owners, should be honored. If I do not want anyone "to touch my possessions", I will not leave them on a deck lounger while I lunch, workout, etc.

You obviously didn't read my post carefully. The key words being "like all chair hog threads". With 42 posts I'm assuming you are a CC newbie. There have been HUNDREDS of threads and posts re: chair hogs and they all start to sound the same.

You obviously didn't read my post carefully. The key words being "like all chair hog threads". With 42 posts I'm assuming you are a CC newbie. There have been HUNDREDS of threads and posts re: chair hogs and they all start to sound the same.

Then either mute the speakers on your computer or turn the sound up on the TV or radio.

Should I have offered it up to someone on the contingent basis that they would have to leave when BF gets back?

The chair stopped being yours to offer up when the BF's butt left it to wander off for a few hours to eat / nap / shower etc. An astonishing example of a sense of entitlement and chair hogging.

I'm really not that much of a sun worshipper that any of this affects me that much. As nice as having the free-flowing towels available at the pool is, I think a lot of the problem is people who leave their dirty towel on the chair, making it look occupied. Checking a towel in and out would resolve that issue, as someone else noted.

I think we all agree that for certain itineraries, there are just not enough chairs around the pool to make everyone happy. Does anyone have any ideas on how this problem could be mitigated on the new builds?

I personally think that the lawn on the S-class is somewhat of a waste of space. It was unique and interesting, but I think they have enough now for those who want it. Instead of the lawn, I would suggest a multi-purpose area. Perhaps a deck where there could be loungers during the day (with maybe those misters to cool off since another deck with a pool might be logistically impossible), which turns into some type of entertainment venue at night (dancing under the stars, music, outdoor café, etc.)

I personally don't need to swim in the pool, but would like a chair in the sun with a quick way to cool off - just a shower or cooling mist would be fine for me.

Truly sad that this is an ongoing problem. It amazes me when I see the group of people laying items on the pool chairs in the morning and then walking off. Until that butt hits that seat, I think the people manning the pool area should just collect the junk immediately.

My first sailing on Celebrity is coming up but I am a very frequent cruiser on Royal so I would imagine the posting of the 30 minute rule is somewhere on the deck on signs as it is on Royal. Likely it is also talked about in any written documentation (cruise compass on Royal).

Once someone leaves an item on the chair beyond the posted 30 minutes, I would say that it becomes abandoned property. At that point, the "new owner" can keep the item(s) and if the previous owner wants them back the new owner should be compensated based on the pure salvage rules of maritime law. :)

Before anyone asks or comments, the previous paragraph is only meant as a joke. In all seriousness though, once the 30 minutes is exceeded, the items should be considered abandoned property.

BTW, to the poster who asked about saving a chair for her significant other for a couple hours or letting it go with an agreement based on his return. No, you should not be holding the chair and no you cannot give rules either. It is not YOUR chair, it is a Celebrity chair you are being allowed to use based on your booking and with the assumption you will follow the basic rules they have made.

That is not mine. I was looking for a picture of a person made out of soft drink boxes, laying on a pool lounge chair, but could not find it. However, I came across the picture I did post. I have no idea who's it is nor which ship the picture was taken nor when (though I suspect it is an NCL ship because of the striped towel). In short, the picture is one I found on the Internet.

Personally, I rarely use a lounge chair, have always found one when I wanted one, and have never left anything on the lounge chair.

I was out taking pictures one morning and noticed someone on one of the lounge chairs. Later that day (several hours later) I noticed the same person, still on the same lounge chair. I though it was funny, saving a lounge chair by actually using it. Unfortunately I don't remember which ship I was on at the time. I'll look through my reviews later and if I find it, I'll repost it (yes, I took pictures).

I suspect that it is a princess ship as the loungers look like I recall them to be.

We like the Solstice Deck but it is amazing how many people have a one of the beds in the shade and another two out in the sun and think they are doing nothing wrong. Even worse are those who reserve on each side of the ship to get sun all day.

I think we all agree that for certain itineraries, there are just not enough chairs around the pool to make everyone happy. Does anyone have any ideas on how this problem could be mitigated on the new builds?

They could put lounge chairs in the North Star.

Truly sad that this is an ongoing problem. It amazes me when I see the group of people laying items on the pool chairs in the morning and then walking off. Until that butt hits that seat, I think the people manning the pool area should just collect the junk immediately.

Yes, I agree.