Pool Deck loungers - how long can I hold?

Bery

Chair hoggers do not deserve consideration. If they leave what appears to be a valuable item, I give it to a crew member and ask them to put it in the lost and found. If it is not valuable, I toss it. If it is a book, I turn it in to the library book exchange if the ship has a library or a book exchange. If it is a towel, I put it into the used towel bin.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Chair hoggers do not deserve consideration. If they leave what appears to be a valuable item, I give it to a crew member and ask them to put it in the lost and found. If it is not valuable, I toss it. If it is a book, I turn it in to the library book exchange if the ship has a library or a book exchange. If it is a towel, I put it into the used towel bin.

DON

You're stealing other people's possessions. Truly, that's beyond rude. Dispicable.

I'm with the "wait 30-45 minutes and move in" gang :p We like to get to the pool early, by 10 am or so, and am always surprised to see the best loungers saved. I park my butt as close to the one I'm eyeing, wait the allotted time, and shift their belongings elsewhere close by. I have had people show up and ask where their stuff is, which can be a little unnerving. I wasn't aware that the pool persons would do this but from this point forward I'll go to them.

My husband is also a mover-abouter, doesn't sit still for more than an hour or two. Once he leaves for more than an hour or so I give up his seat. Usually I know when that is going to happen, he'll head for a nap or another activity and we'll plan to meet up at a time later.

This is my first time on Celebrity, do they not have drink service around the pool area? I see people saying they left to get drinks and were gone 20 minutes?

We once saw a lounger empty (of a person) for several hours. When a friend came along who wanted a lounger we simply removed the personal items from the lounger and took it over to one of the pool staff and suggested "that somebody must have forgotten to take their stuff." Recently we took a 14 day Eclipse cruise and were impressed that the "pool butlers" did a pretty good job clearing off unused loungers.

Funny story about another cruise line where we saw an interesting situation. There were 2 empty loungers (no people) with a personal effects scattered on each lounger. We were in adjacent loungers and had been sitting there for about 4 hours when some folks walked by and asked us if anyone was using those 2 empty loungers. We told them that nobody had sat there for over 4 hours and these folks moved all the personal stuff onto the deck and sat in the loungers. A few minutes later a mad came over and told these folks that they were "his loungers." The folks repeated what we had said, "that nobody had used them for hours" and refused to move. The man then stomped off back to his seat at a nearby outdoor table. We have seen this a few times where folks will grab a table (in the shade) where they sit for most of the day, but also put stuff on a lounger in case they would later like to lay in the sun. Tis life.

Hank

DON

Empty glasses I give to the attendants. Anything else, I put on one of the small tables near the chair. I do keep watch on anyone's stuff that I move.Never had an issue with it. In most cases it's still there after we leave. One wonders how long it will take for some to come back for their belongings.

You're stealing other people's possessions. Truly, that's beyond rude. Dispicable.

You feel it's ok for someone to leave stuff, but not come back for it? If it's a chair hog, that's their problem. I'm not talking about something being left for less than 45min. I've actually quietly watched some pax leave the pool deck to go eat lunch(kind of a test after reading blogs like this)and yet leave stuff on the chai to hog it for hours unattended.Is this not as "dispicable" as you're claiming Donaldsc to be?

DON

Keith, this is what i find despicable:

"If it is not valuable, I toss it. If it is a book, I turn it in to the library book exchange if the ship has a library or a book exchange."

What gives anyone the right to determine the value of MY possessions? Regardless of any perceived value, what gives him the right to tgriw away MY posessions? Including MY books.

Hand my stuff over to a pool butler and that's fine. But don't tell me ANYBODY has the right to "toss it" when it's my property. That's theft.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Forums mobile app

"If it is not valuable, I toss it. If it is a book, I turn it in to the library book exchange if the ship has a library or a book exchange."

What gives anyone the right to determine the value of MY possessions? Regardless of any perceived value, what gives him the right to tgriw away MY posessions? Including MY books.

Hand my stuff over to a pool butler and that's fine. But don't tell me ANYBODY has the right to "toss it" when it's my property. That's theft.

My only comment and then I will quit on this subject as I do not want to get in trouble with the moderator is that I would not leave something of value unattended on a lounger for several hours. Would you?

To the moderator - feel free to remove this post if you feel that my response is unacceptable.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

My only comment and then I will quit on this subject as I do not want to get in trouble with the moderator is that I would not leave something of value unattended on a lounger for several hours. Would you?

To the moderator - feel free to remove this post if you feel that my response is unacceptable.

DON

Amazingly, on my last Celebrity cruise, someone left their Kindle to save their chair. It was there in the early morning....I wondered if it would be there when the person came back.

I always pick up my things when leaving and if I want to sit down again I just find another chair. If everyone just did this, things would be so much nicer. I agree it is frustrating when you see a chair "reserved" for hours.

Amazingly, on my last Celebrity cruise, someone left their Kindle to save their chair. It was there in the early morning....I wondered if it would be there when the person came back.

LOL That's why I always pack my broken Kindle and my smelliest running shoes!:eek: ;)

LOL That's why I always pack my broken Kindle and my smelliest running shoes!:eek: ;)
Too funny!

I would love to get 10 or so other passengers on a cruise and go out really early on a sea day and put towels down on about 100 loungers and wait for the early morning chair hogs to come down and find out they are out of luck, since all the prime loungers are already spoken for. I would bet that they would let their dissatisfaction loudly known to everyone that they couldn't get a lounger because people were saving them, even though they wanted to do the same thing.

Curious to know the group's thoughts on someone saving a chair for their other half.

I can sit in the sun for HOURS, while my boyfriend will get bored/sunburned if he is outside for more than 45-60 minutes at a time. We went down to the pool early and after about an hour, he went to work out. He came back a couple hours later after eating/showering etc. and resumed his spot next to me.

I held that chair for him the whole time. Should I have offered it up to someone on the contingent basis that they would have to leave when BF gets back?

I honestly think that chair hogs make people that normally wouldn't be chair hogs turn into them.

I noticed that on sea day 1, all the pool side chairs weren't "claimed" until around 11am, sea day 2 the time was 10 am and on sea day 3 it was 8:30. I said "claimed" because the chairs were not occupied by bodies, but rather by towels/books. I felt fortunate I was able to find a chair to sit in, even though the chairs were only 10% full with actual people. I ended up "chair hogging" my spot because my thought process was "if everyone else is doing it".

Which is bad...I know.

Sorry, but just because the chair was next to you does not give it special rules. He left the chair for more than 30 minutes, therefore he no longer had a claim to the chair. No amount of rationalization changes that. Now, if there were a lot of chairs available in the area then perhaps an argument could be made. But otherwise, a chair hog is a chair hog is a chair hog.

I always pick up my things when leaving and if I want to sit down again I just find another chair. If everyone just did this, things would be so much nicer. I agree it is frustrating when you see a chair "reserved" for hours.

i do the same in the buffet as well.

We can usually find 2 chairs together somewhere, but we are not picky as to where. I'm amazed, however, when all that is left on a lounger is a towel. When all I see is a towel and no one has been there for a while, I feel free to move the towel to the used towel deposit and use the lounger. I don't move people's belongings, just towels. I'd prefer to find a pool butler for even the towels, but they often are not as abundant as we'd like.

On our last cruise we never had a problem with loungers in the Solarium. The pool area seemed to be crowded during peak noon times but even then you could find a chair, albeit not right next to the pool. I did see the PB's remove an item from a chair and someone promptly sat down, good for them!

Honestly since we live a couple of blocks from the beach sitting around a pool in the middle of the ocean holds little for us. I rather look at the ocean, which can be done from many points on the ship or from our balcony.

Edited by bobsfamily

DON

What is valuable to someone else and what is valuable to you might be different, and someone could very well accidentally leave behind an item that you feel is not valuable and they feel is valuable. I wouldn't toss something that wasn't mine. I wouldn't give away a book that wasn't mine.

While I've never chair hogged purposely, I have on occasion accidentally left an item behind (though I don't believe I've ever left it on a deck chair). I would be very sad if someone assumed I was being rude and then proceeded to get rid of something that was mine when they could have just as easily given it to an attendant to store in lost and found.

PS Thank you to all the kind souls who have turned in my items over the years. I try very hard not to be forgetful, but sometimes when I'm too relaxed, it goes out the window! With the exception of one camera and a couple of lipsticks, I have been very lucky to recover the items I have lost with many thanks to the nice, honest people out there.

True,I'd never toss it,that would be totall rude. I just put it on the small tables that are scattered about.I'll bring one of those tables near me & place the belongings on top. I do pretty much keep watch over anything I move on to those tables.To Donaldsc: I've never seen anything of real "value" on a lounger, but would hope no pax are foollish enough to leave anything really valuable unattended.

Must be some chair hoggers perusing this thread and it would be nice to hear their take on this subject. Maybe just reading this they will change their behaviour in time for the next cruise any of us are on. Anywhere there is water and chairs for public use this happens unless the attendants monitor.

Must be some chair hoggers perusing this thread and it would be nice to hear their take on this subject. Maybe just reading this they will change their behaviour in time for the next cruise any of us are on. Anywhere there is water and chairs for public use this happens unless the attendants monitor.

Checkout post #67. "A picture is worth a thousand words".

Edited by davekathy