Best hotel in FLL Under 500 a night?

elcid79

Hi Kevin.......thanks;)

I realize this thread has now been moved to the "FLORIDA FORUM".......

I also know the difference between The Ritz and Holiday Inn........

I give up. I was giving my opinion......I guess I should have known

(after all these years of posting on here) that I should have kept my

mouth shut:rolleyes:

The difference is, your opinion was about the amount he wanted to spend, NOT where you recommended a great hotel for him to stay in. And yes, if you weren't answering his question, and chose to answer a different one, you probably should not have answered at all.

Either way, Happy sailing,

Jenna

Okay, just relax folks.

I don't really feel the need to explain myself any, but maybe I can in the interest of cooling these fires.

When I started looking at hotels, for the few days that we were planning on being in FLL there was a major price jump from about 200 up to about 500+ (The atlantic was over 850 but all that was available was a suite.)

The lower quality hotels advertised were in the 200+ range, and places like the Marriott were 380.

So what I was hoping to do was find a range of the "nicer hotels in FLL that were below that tippy top tiered price bump.

It seemed like 500 was a good high end number to start at, and then narrow it down from that point based upon price and value.

With that said, the pelican grand is currently advertised for near what we intend to spend at the Marriott. Which hotel is better?

With that said, the pelican grand is currently advertised for near what we intend to spend at the Marriott. Which hotel is better?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34227-d80483-Reviews-Pelican_Grand_Beach_Resort-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34227-d84476-Reviews-Fort_Lauderdale_Marriott_Harbor_Beach_Marriott_Resort_Spa-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

TripAdvisor is a "sister" site of CC so hopefully these links will work.

I have never stayed at either, I hope you have a wonderful time!

AND a great cruise!

I haven't stayed at the Pelican Grand. It's more north and an a part of the beach that is a bit smaller. No big deal though. The hotel looks like less of a resort pool but it seems to have all the amenities you would like. It also looks smaller overall, which can lead to more personalized service.

The Marriott is also removed a bit from the "Action" to the south, though that is a bit closer to the cruise port, and you can see ships leave (and if you're an early, early riser, return).

The Marriott has a nice, large, resort pool, and wonderful small but quiet spa pool. A few different restaurants to suit most tastes. Rooms have nice views and balconies. Personally (I am loyal to Marriott), I would use my extra budget to upgrade to a nicer / larger room a the Marriott, but we've always been comfortable there.

A few negatives we've had at the Marriott: While we've always been given a room with a view, but sometimes not had great internet service and needed to move, though probably not a big issue on your honeymoon. We've also had a long walk from the elevator to the room, which isn't our preference, but not a big deal.

Probably can't go wrong with either.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Okay, just relax folks.

I don't really feel the need to explain myself any, but maybe I can in the interest of cooling these fires.

When I started looking at hotels, for the few days that we were planning on being in FLL there was a major price jump from about 200 up to about 500+ (The atlantic was over 850 but all that was available was a suite.)

The lower quality hotels advertised were in the 200+ range, and places like the Marriott were 380.

So what I was hoping to do was find a range of the "nicer hotels in FLL that were below that tippy top tiered price bump.

It seemed like 500 was a good high end number to start at, and then narrow it down from that point based upon price and value.

Please bear in mind that I haven't stayed in the rooms of either hotel, but I've been to both properties numerous times....the decision for me would be VERY easy. I would choose Marriott Harbor Beach. The pool and beach there are gorgeous and expansive. The restaurant 3030 there is excellent. The Pelican is more of a boutique hotel with a comparitively small pool and beach, and the restaurant food/service isn't memorable (except for when they served me a moldy tomato slice and did not do a good job responding to my concern). :)

Edited by royalcruz

Please bear in mind that I haven't stayed in the rooms of either hotel, but I've been to both properties numerous times....the decision for me would be VERY easy. I would choose Marriott Harbor Beach. The pool and beach there are gorgeous and expansive. The restaurant 3030 there is excellent. The Pelican is more of a boutique hotel with a comparitively small pool and beach, and the restaurant food/service isn't memorable (except for when they served me a moldy tomato slice and did not do a good job responding to my concern). :)

We agree. 3030 is excellent, we've had a few great meals there. So is Sea Level. Both NOT normal hotel food, but much better!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

If I was in that price range I would stay at Lago Mar. I stayed there in October 2013 for a friends birthday weekend celebration. We had an Oceanfront Suite. The beach is huge and private. The grounds are gorgeous. The rooms are clean and beautifully decorated. The staff is top notch. Its set back away from other hotels but yet just a short car or cab ride to everything.

OP seriously, its a perfect place for you to celebrate your honeymoon. Definately check it out. I think you may be pleasantly surprised at what you get for your money.

I book for convenience and price. IF you take your time and research, you can get a great hotel for a really good price. And that makes you smart not a "cynical cheapskate". Like you, Lois. :)

On the flip side, it doesn't make you stupid if you don't follow that path.

My parents will not stay anywhere but five star hotels and they have no problems paying.

On the flip side, it doesn't make you stupid if you don't follow that path.

My parents will not stay anywhere but five star hotels and they have no problems paying.

Agree. And I'd add, time is money. If I go to a hotel's website and make a reservation for the room I want with their best price garunteed, I'm happy. Sure, I might spend 30 min to an hour to save $50 or $100 or more, but if I can earn 2 or three times that in the same amount of time instead of searching for a deal, I'm ahead, and hassled less ;)

Happy sailimg,

Jenna

Agree. And I'd add, time is money. If I go to a hotel's website and make a reservation for the room I want with their best price garunteed, I'm happy. Sure, I might spend 30 min to an hour to save $50 or $100 or more, but if I can earn 2 or three times that in the same amount of time instead of searching for a deal, I'm ahead, and hassled less ;)

Happy sailimg,

Jenna

The two hotels I mentioned above? Took me less than a minute to find them both. it took me longer to write the comment than to search, click on each of their websites, and find a price.

So if takes you 30-60 minutes.... you're doing it wrong. :p

let's not get off topic.. the op is looking for a hotel for a honeymoon nite... that's pretty special.. even if you are taking a cruise the next day.. it's a nice way to start off the honoeymoon...... I don't think they are looking to spend 500 every time.. just for this special nite :)...

let's not get off topic.. the op is looking for a hotel for a honeymoon nite... that's pretty special.. even if you are taking a cruise the next day.. it's a nice way to start off the honoeymoon...... I don't think they are looking to spend 500 every time.. just for this special nite :)...

Thank YOU!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Also, not everyone who stays at these hotels pays full price. I get lots of travel points on my Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa, and I'm also a Marriott Rewards member. All those points we've racked up staying at the Fairfield Inn in Southern Illinois visiting our daughter at college have added up.