Adding a third passenger Getaway Haven - and also as a solo?

TrinaLC

We are sailing in a Getaway haven cabin that has room for three. DH and I are currently booked, and considering bringing 22 year old son as well.

If it weren't for the Haven privileges, I would simply book my son as a solo - there are a number of single rooms available. But - we would want to be able to take advantage of the Haven dining and some other privileges.

Any way to check online how much the cost would be to add a third passenger?

If it were cheap enough (as it sometimes is on Carnival) I might consider "splurging" and booking him twice - as a solo, and as a third ... Is it possible to double book someone?!!

(I understand that there can be limitations that restrict adding a third - size of lifeboats etc - this cruise is off season and I don't think that will be a problem.)

Edited by TrinaLC

A related question - I assume there is no way to "buy" Haven privileges, sort of like a FTTF on Carnival?

This is not to invite a bunch of posts about diluting the value of the Haven experience. It is just a question.

A related question - I assume there is no way to "buy" Haven privileges, sort of like a FTTF on Carnival?

This is not to invite a bunch of posts about diluting the value of the Haven experience. It is just a question.

Correct - sorta. :o

If a guest is not in the Haven - officially - they are welcome to visit you in your cabin but they are not supposed to use the Haven facilities. That being said - there are plenty of threads about people having brought family or friends in to the Courtyard and nothing was said.

I have also read some threads about being able to bring a guest to the Haven restaurant for a per meal charge. But I do not remember the cost...sorry.

If you are interested in adding him as a 3rd passenger to your reservation I'd call NCL - or whomever you booked through - they would be able to help, I'm sure.

I just did a mock booking for april, 7 day caribbean, and adding a 3rd person was $764 at todays rate.

Not sure what cruise frame you are going on...

We are going in February. I tried a mock booking and it kept giving me an "average", not 2 +1 .... is there a way to prompt for a different result?

We are going in February. I tried a mock booking and it kept giving me an "average", not 2 +1 .... is there a way to prompt for a different result?

Yes, make it for three..and under the total price is a button to press for a breakdown....it says "view details". There you will find the breakdown for each.

Just compare the total "price for two" with the total "price for three". The difference is what the 3rd person would pay.

If you look at the final Total, it will also include the port fees and taxes for the third person.

GeezerCouple

The other thing you can do IF you really want full Haven privileges for all, but don't want to share sleeping space is <dare we mention it?> to list a third IN the Haven cabin AND then get an inside room for the extra person.

To do this, call NCL and get a PCC (personal cruise consultant) who can help you with this "double booking".

If they say it is impossible, hang up, call back and hope for a more knowledgeable PCC.

Unfortunately, we aren't allowed to give PCC names/contact info on CruiseCritic, or we'd do that :)

It IS possible, and has been done, although many people claim otherwise.

GeezerCouple

We are sailing in a Getaway haven cabin that has room for three. DH and I are currently booked, and considering bringing 22 year old son as well.

If it weren't for the Haven privileges, I would simply book my son as a solo - there are a number of single rooms available. But - we would want to be able to take advantage of the Haven dining and some other privileges.

Any way to check online how much the cost would be to add a third passenger?

If it were cheap enough (as it sometimes is on Carnival) I might consider "splurging" and booking him twice - as a solo, and as a third ... Is it possible to double book someone?!!

(I understand that there can be limitations that restrict adding a third - size of lifeboats etc - this cruise is off season and I don't think that will be a problem.)

If I'm understanding correctly what you want to do, the only person I recall saying they did it was user Nalagh on here so maybe search for that thread.

If it gives an average, then just multiply by 3.

Then book it as a 2 person and get that price.

Very recent thread says NCL is cutting down/out this loophole.

I believe the example that a PP mentioned was a CC member who booked herself in an aft haven suite and the non haven adjoining cabin. I believe she had 3 guests in the haven cabin although one of them unofficially used the non-Haven cabin. I don't see how this is a loophole. She paid for two cabins and all of the guests were listed in the Haven cabin, so they had access to the Haven. It seems to me there would be no issues with this.

I am considering this also. We have a 2 bedroom suite booked for 3 of us and a gentleman friend of my SIL has booked a regular balcony cabin. We are cruising from Rome in May on the Epic and right now they have 3rd and 4th at $489.00 I am guessing he would not have to pay port fees again so for under $500 he will have the Haven perks as well. I am calling my PCC today and check on this.

In the attempt to find a way to get Haven amenities for a non-Haven guest, I think you might me missing the obvious...

While you might be able to talk some TA or PCC into allowing you to book one person into two cabins, you aren't going to be able to convince NCL, CBP, and/or the Coast Guard that the ship can sail with one person listed twice on the manifest. They aren't going to allow this.

The extra person may check in to the Haven cabin, in which case he will be a "no show" for the studio....losing all the money paid for that cabin along with the right to access that cabin during the cruise.

If the extra person chooses to check in to the Studio cabin, he will be a "no show" for the Haven...thus losing the right of access along with the amenities.

IOW...you can't be in two places at once.

Besides, I seriously doubt NCL would even entertain the notion. The LAST thing they want to do is cheapen the Haven Product by allowing people to circumvent the process so they can "buy" Haven amenities.

For the OP: You're in a tough spot. A choice needs to be made. You really have to decide what is most important to YOU. You can all go on the cruise and Mom and Dad can enjoy the amenities they paid for, and Jr can enjoy "alone time". OR you can all go on the cruise together in one cabin and enjoy all the amenities together.

Just do what makes you happy and have a great vacation.

Besides, I seriously doubt NCL would even entertain the notion. The LAST thing they want to do is cheapen the Haven Product by allowing people to circumvent the process so they can "buy" Haven amenities.

How is paying for something circumventing the process? :confused:

Isn't the correct process to pay for something so that you can use it? In the OP's case, if they just booked their son as a 3rd in their cabin without even trying to double book, then he'd be paying as a haven passenger and be able to use the haven facilities. I don't see how that is circumventing anything.

How is paying for something circumventing the process? :confused:

Isn't the correct process to pay for something so that you can use it? In the OP's case, if they just booked their son as a 3rd in their cabin without even trying to double book, then he'd be paying as a haven passenger and be able to use the haven facilities. I don't see how that is circumventing anything.

Just because YOU don't see something does not, in and of itself, negate that something. :rolleyes:

Having one person booked into two different cabins is circumventing the process. Else, you could easily explain why it is not and is actually a normal everyday occurance, right?

Your issue seems to be that you only examine one component at a time while ignoring the entire picture...you literally can't see the forest for the trees.

Just because YOU don't see something does not, in and of itself, negate that something. :rolleyes:

Having one person booked into two different cabins is circumventing the process. Else, you could easily explain why it is not and is actually a normal everyday occurance, right?

Your issue seems to be that you only examine one component at a time while ignoring the entire picture...you literally can't see the forest for the trees.

I don't believe this is correct. If a person wants more space and books adjoining cabins, this is perfectly acceptable and permitted. Just because a novice NCL res agent gets confused by it doesn't mean it's wrong. It's just like a passenger purchasing two seats on a flight. There are no manifest issues that you speak of because the official records acknowledge the exception and proper number of passengers.

Ok I'll type slowly so that you can understand. :rolleyes:

My post had question marks in it because I was asking questions so that I could better understand your reasoning.

Now, using your logic, why don't you explain how having one person booked into two different cabins (and paying for that person twice - a fact you conveniently left out) is circumventing something.

I have no idea if NCL allows this or not. If they don't, I'm sure they have their reasons so regardless of whether or not it is allowed, please explain to silly old me how paying for someone twice is circumventing anything.

If someone was booked in a non-haven cabin and had family/friends booked in the haven and they let the non-haven guest use the haven facilities, then I would agree 100% that they are doing something wrong and circumventing the process. But that's not the case here with the OP willing to pay twice for the same person.

So there's my explanation of why it is not circumventing anything and it's not a normal everyday occurrence because most people don't want to pay twice for one person.

I am confused. Is it against the rules to have more then one cabin in your name? An extra cabin would be a benefit to a lot of people. My son for example snores like a freight train. Would love to send him to a studio at night to sleep. I thought the big issue was that you needed to make sure there were enough seats available on the lifeboats. If one person booked two cabins then in theory there would be an extra life boat seat available. How does the cruise line lose on the basic fare if someone pays twice? Using that example, we would gladly take a Haven suite and a studio and the cruise line makes money on both cabins. We would pay tips on everything we had booked etc. So I don't see how that would be taking advantage of NCL.

I am booked in a 2 BR Haven Suite with a friend and her mother. My friend and I decided that it would be better if I had my own sleeping space, so I book another room by myself. I am double booked and the PCC said it is absolutely ok, I may have to pay service charges in both rooms, and I am perfectly ok with that.

I am booked in a 2 BR Haven Suite with a friend and her mother. My friend and I decided that it would be better if I had my own sleeping space, so I book another room by myself. I am double booked and the PCC said it is absolutely ok, I may have to pay service charges in both rooms, and I am perfectly ok with that.

I'm glad to hear that you were able to get the accommodations you wanted. Your situation sounds very similar to mine to so maybe it will work out after all.

So what makes "circumventing" a "process" a problem? It is not against posted terms and conditions! I can check into any hotel in the world and book extra rooms. As others have noted, you can buy two airlines seats for your personal comfort. Each cabin would pay service fees, so no one getting hurt there.

The only issue I can see is that the cruise line would have to link the resies somehow to make sure that the pax is properly accounted for when on/off the ship. One I.D. No one has identified that as a barrier.

• 5 weeks later...

hi, we were thinking of doing something similar to this ourselves.

would you mind if i PM you? just wanted to pick your brain about this a bit more.