Cell phone

DenaM15

This may sound dumb but a cruise video I watched talked about not using your cell phone while on the ship even if you are at a U.S. port since you will pick up the ships signal and be charged international potentially, is this true? Should we be concerned about using it while in port in Florida?

When the ship is in a US port, you will pick up the land based signal. Once you sail, you will be on the ship's signal

A touch oversimplified. Always check your settings to see what wireless or voice network your smartphone has engaged. While true that unfamiliar ones will generally require a login, it doesn't hurt to check. That said, if you purchased an international roaming package from your provider, you may see things like Vodaphone if you're AT&T.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, I don't plan on using my cell phone to make calls, but want to use to take pictures, do you know if I will be charged roaming fees? no one is available on att chat otherwise I would ask them. thanks!
Look for a setting in your phone for roaming data and make sure that's turned OFF. When data roaming is off you'll have no data service and no data roaming fees. With data roaming off you'd still have the ability to make and receive phone calls.

Even simpler is to put your phone in "airplane mode." You'll still be able to use the camera but you won't have any wireless functions like phone calls or data, so no charges for any of that.

Edited by Underwatr

So if I have a travel package good for US including Puerto Rico and USVI...can I use my phone at port? On the ship at the ports???

I had no trouble - or unexpected charges - using my AT&T phone (and web/apps) in San Juan or St. Thomas this past October, whether on the ship or ashore. I just flipped it back to "airplane mode" before departure.

Hi, I don't plan on using my cell phone to make calls, but want to use to take pictures, do you know if I will be charged roaming fees? no one is available on att chat otherwise I would ask them. thanks!

Ditto what Underwatr said - the camera works just fine even if the phone is in airplane mode. I've toted it all over Europe and on several cruises, with nary a problem.

Thanks all! It didn't sound right to me but didn't want to come home to a big bill. When we use ours for a camera only we take the SIM card out w a paper clip just to be extra safe & ensure we don't turn anything on by mistake.

Look for a setting in your phone for roaming data and make sure that's turned OFF. When data roaming is off you'll have no data service and no data roaming fees. With data roaming off you'd still have the ability to make and receive phone calls.

Even simpler is to put your phone in "airplane mode." You'll still be able to use the camera but you won't have any wireless functions like phone calls or data, so no charges for any of that.

Yes, disable the roaming... otherwise replace the SIM card with something "prepaid". On my Alaskan trip, an ATT prepaid SIM has no ability to roam.

Some say the ship roaming signal kicks in the moment the anchor is raised. It makes me look like I travelling in South America.

So if I have a travel package good for US including Puerto Rico and USVI...can I use my phone at port? On the ship at the ports???

Basically yes since the ship turns off its tower while in port. Just make sure the ship is not underway so that you don't pick up ship tower rather than land tower.

We used our nationwide plan in AK and HI ports while still aboard ship without incurring extra costs since the ship was docked and their tower turned off.

Edited by NMLady

We have used Sprint, Verizon, and/or AT&T is a variety of Alaskan ports, as well as Puerto Rico and USVI without problems (or extra charges). Just make sure the phones turned off (or on airplane mode) before departure.

When you turn your phone on, you will know what you are connected to. I have ATT&T as my provider, but I do like to check in at home with my mom who watches my dogs. So every now and then while on the ship I turn my iPhone on to call or text her.

On our Carnival cruise and I think Princess as well, when I turned my cell phone on instead of it saying ATT at the top, it said "LIME". If you look at your phone you can't miss it. You will know you are a connected to something other than your typical provider as the name will reflect that.

Now, it's my understanding that the ships turn their own service off when they are near land and within range of a land based cell phone tower. Weather it be in Mexico, Alaska or Florida etc..

So if you are close enough to see land you are probably pulling a land based tower. That being said. It will still be international charges with the exception of San Juan and St. Thomas. (Check with your providers, but ATT does not charge international in these islands)

I have used my phone several times on the ship, just turn your data roaming off and you should be good to go. That way you're only going to be paying the higher fee per minute or the higher fee per text that you use. The people with the insane bills are likely those who don't turn off data roaming. If you have an iPhone I think it defaults off but you'll want to double check.

We can use our phone while in American ports with no issues....you're on a land tower. We loose that signal after we leave port and get almost out of sight of land. Then, we turn the phone OFF, and it's in the safe! No need to lug it around the ship!

We can use our phone while in American ports with no issues....you're on a land tower. We loose that signal after we leave port and get almost out of sight of land. Then, we turn the phone OFF, and it's in the safe! No need to lug it around the ship!

The question "when" is the ship signal stronger than your land signal. By the time you loose sight of land... it might be too late if your phone has roaming enabled. Your phone would have already switched to the ship signal and might have received emails with image attachments.

By disabling roaming and/or set to "manual carrier selection" this prevents problems. For Alaskan cruises, I have a Canadian SIM. I can use my Blackberry throughout the inside passage (Vancouver Island) and around Prince Rupert to keep in touch with family members on the cruise and friends at home. Data is cheaper than cruise ship internet or satellite. Having an outside cabin facing land greatly helps with the signal.

You can also turn off voice roaming, and when you start to get close to a U.S. based port, your phone will connect to your network cell tower. When you get out of range, the phone will not connect to the ship system. I was told that ships have to turn off their system when they are 12 km from shore, so that they do not interfere with land-based phones.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Thanks. My phone will go thru AT&T when in the states, so I presume it should be them for the US islands as well. From Canada and the travel pkg does say the US islands included. I'll be sure to check phone before calling home. 6 days until sailing...very excited. Thanks for being a helpful bunch...muchly appreciated.

Down in the phone settings you can choose which wireless network the phone will connect to. I always saw MCP (the ship's cell network) but sometimes even 20 miles out I could see and connect to terrestrial phone systems. My T-Mobile plan gives me unlimited (slow) data connectivity and 20 cent/minutes calls in most countries (notably, the Bahamas is excluded).