Is everything nice on RCL now an Upcharge?

So it's been many years since my last Royal Caribbean cruise. I've cruised Celebrity and Princess primarily since but an opportunity arose that I decided to book the Liberty and try a "big ship" but so far from what I'm hearing I'm a bit concerned.

I'm a foodie and reading thru these boards has me believing that anything that's actually tastey will be an upcharge (eggs benedict, fruit juices, lobster, certain cuts of steak, etc). Now I realize the buffets and MDR are designed to feed the masses but what is it they are putting out? I"m not standing in a 45 minute line for a omelet at a buffet. I'm on a cruise so I don't want to be eating pizza and hamburgers for supper nor do I really want the same kind of chicken breast I may make to eat at home any night of the week. Some nice seafood, veal or lamb would be great but now I worry it will always cost me extra.

So it's been many years since my last Royal Caribbean cruise. I've cruised Celebrity and Princess primarily since but an opportunity arose that I decided to book the Liberty and try a "big ship" but so far from what I'm hearing I'm a bit concerned.

I'm a foodie and reading thru these boards has me believing that anything that's actually tastey will be an upcharge (eggs benedict, fruit juices, lobster, certain cuts of steak, etc). Now I realize the buffets and MDR are designed to feed the masses but what is it they are putting out? I"m not standing in a 45 minute line for a omelet at a buffet. I'm on a cruise so I don't want to be eating pizza and hamburgers for supper nor do I really want the same kind of chicken breast I may make to eat at home any night of the week. Some nice seafood, veal or lamb would be great but now I worry it will always cost me extra.

I think the advantage of the current model is that those who don't want those kind of things don't have to pay for them. There are many reasons people love cruising (some people love the fact that they can have pizza and burgers all the time), but if food is a big deal to you, then go ahead and factor in the specialty dining upcharges to your total costs and call it a day.

Eggs benedict are available for no extra charge in the MDR every morning.

Lobster is available for no extra charge one night in the MDR on cruises of 5 days or longer based out of the US.

Here is the menu for the Main Dining Room:

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-kit/9/culinary-press-kit/

Everything on these menus is no extra charge, unless otherwise noted.

Edited by clarea

The only upcharge I can think of is if you order a steak from Chops in the MDR. I think every cruise I have been on has had lamb chops or veal offered at some point. You can get a ton more than pizzas and burgers in the MDR and even in the Windjammer. I've cruised RCCL yearly for several years and never been disappointed.

So the link for the menu - is that in day order or does it rotate around? Just trying to see if that will go Day 1 - Day 5 as listed on my cruise in a few weeks.

Edited by SthrnCruiser

Never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes for an omelette in the WJ.
Agreed, and generally less than 5 minutes, during which time I get a slice of ham from the carving station and some mushrooms and potatoes. By Day 3 the order taker knows my name, and checks if I want the same egg-beater omelet with everything but jalapenos as yesterday. Served hot and with a smile.:)

I'm on a cruise so I don't want to be eating pizza and hamburgers for supper

Just curious... where did you get the idea that supper was pizza and hamburgers. Are you referring to the infamous meatloaf served on Carnival?

Is this the main menu for the week. We have never been on RC and were curious about the meal selection. Hope it is better than carnival, we haven't enjoyed our last few carnival MDR meals as well.

The menu I posted does not necessarily show the order used on a particular ship. The order is not published by Royal. We generally find out the order from reviews, or people posting the order after their cruise.

Eggs benedict are available for no extra charge in the MDR every morning.

Lobster is available for no extra charge one night in the MDR on cruises of 5 days or longer based out of the US.

Here is the menu for the Main Dining Room:

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-kit/9/culinary-press-kit/

Everything on these menus is no extra charge, unless otherwise noted.

I was also able to get Eggs Benny at the WJ on my last cruise in Europe.

Just curious... where did you get the idea that supper was pizza and hamburgers. Are you referring to the infamous meatloaf served on Carnival?

LOL - I've been cruising RCI for years and have never had pizza or hamburgers (except two at JR's) at all.

Liberty is an excellent ship and while I have went to both Chops Grill and Portofino and they were both excellent, Johnny Rockets is really the only other for fee venue on Liberty, except for Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, specialty coffees and cupcakes.

I use Johnny Rockets sometimes for the great personal service and the premium location for seating while in port or at sail-away time.

As Liberty does not yet have an Izumi, they offer an excellent sushi buffet option from 6:30 PM in the WJ. As I always have late seating, I use that as an early appetizer after going to the complimentary gym and sauna and steam room daily.

At dinner my nightly choices vary from lobster, lamb chops, pork or lamb shank and duck and my appetizers from cold fruit soups, escargot and ceviche, so I certainly do not find my evening dining basic by any means. When I do want something basic the Manhattan strip steak available nightly usually is quite a good choice.

I have done both a Transatlantic and MED cruises on Liberty and never felt 'nickel and dimed' as some here like to frame the current experience.

On shorter cruises I do book the Royal Replenish beverage packages as I do prefer mineral water, specialty coffee and fresh juices and smoothies and even sometimes the frozen non-alcoholic cocktails that personally give me great value for the price paid.

We usually plan to go to a specialty restaurant, but the food in the MDR is typically so great (and different than we usually eat at home) that we seldom seem to make it to the places that cost extra. You can often get a really good steak for a slight up charge in the MDR as well and there is usually a good sounding fish dish every night.

The MDR is open for breakfast when at sea (and sometimes early on port days) and we almost always get eggs benedict. You have to order a couple of hash browns with it since they are like tator tots, but no one minds :rolleyes:

When at sea the MDR is also open for lunch and we love the days when they have the special salad bar.

If you're looking for a good burger the Johnny Rockets is good. It's an up charge, but only around $7/person and you get a ton of food and sometimes dancing waiters.

I wouldn't cruise RCI for the pizza. It's not that great. It works in a pinch for a late night snack, but we can get way better pizza at home any time.

As others have mentioned the buffet is actually very fast (eggs cooked to order). You can put in an order and grab some other things while waiting. It's not so big that you can't keep a weather eye on your egg order while grabbing some sausage to go with it.

That said, I find the scrambled eggs to be tasty and typically get those and dress them up with other available items. I've never gone hungry and the food is very good and... I don't have to cook it.

You'll have a blast and likely gain a few pounds. The Liberty is a fine ship.

Tom

Another useful tip. If you do drink specialty (Starbuck's) coffees you can ask for a coffee punch card and you'll get a free one for every 10 you purchase. They don't often offer them, but they usually have them if you ask. We drink a couple a day between us (1 each at least) so on a 7 day cruise we usually get one free. It's not a big deal, but it feels good... :o

Tom

If the OP has been reading these boards about Celebrity and Princess as well, I'm not sure why they're surprised by what's been posted about MDR food and the for pay venues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Big_G

Well there is a pizza place onboard and generally buffets have burgers. I've seen Sliders listed as a "classic" choice on the MDR menu and to me that's a mini-burger so yeah, Burgers & Pizza. Okay, okay, pasta too, the same as I might buy for $.69/box at the local supermarket with some bland spaghetti sauce.

I was being a bit dramatic but I think you get the point.

Edited by Cruisegoer

Never saw pizza or burgers on the MDR dinner menu.

Well there is a pizza place onboard and generally buffets have burgers. I've seen Sliders listed as a "classic" choice on the MDR menu and to me that's a mini-burger so yeah, Burgers & Pizza. Okay, okay, pasta too, the same as I might buy for $.69/box at the local supermarket with some bland spaghetti sauce.

I was being a bit dramatic but I think you get the point.

Perhaps "a bit dramatic" was a bit of an understatement. If you have read the many responses you should now be aware that you needn't be reduced to pizza, pasta or burgers when choosing to dine in any of the complimentary dining venues on RCI ships and it will not be necessary to pay an "upcharge" to order something "nice" to eat.

Edited by negc

If the OP has been reading these boards about Celebrity and Princess as well, I'm not sure why they're surprised by what's been posted about MDR food and the for pay venues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree - we've sailed on Princess quite a few times in the last years and it isn't a "foodie" line, either - while the food in the MDR is good, it's only marginally better than what RCI serves (in my opinion). The excellent food is found in their upcharge venues - Crown Grill and Sabatini's. RCI is the same - decent food in the MDR and usually excellent food in the specialty restaurants.

OP: you can find good options in the included dining venues, and don't dismiss the Windjammer for dinner - the offerings are far superior to what I've experienced on Princess and the atmosphere is usually calm and unhurried. There are often special cooked to order offerings such as pasta or stir fry as well. The only downside is that you have to fetch it yourself.

The food was a concern of mine as well. I had read somewhere that the food on RCI wasn't that great. It was to my surprise when I got to eat some of the most wonderful tasting food I have ever eaten when I went on Explorer this past July! I ate in the Windjammer for breakfast every morning, it was pretty good, a lot of options and a few new things everyday. Lunch in the Windjammer was good as well, never once ate a burger there, there is quite a good selection that changed a little bit everyday. Now the MDR, the biggest surprise! The food was absolutely to die for! I didn't see any kind of burger on the menu, and the menu was different every night, with the exception of a few popular favs (pasta, steak, etc.), I ate prime rib, duck, lamb, lobster, all of which as I said were to die for! The sides they came with were all very good as well!

Edited by eots44