Lack of Sanctioned ACBL Bridge Game on Oceania - crossing

travel-bug123

Just a heads-up, to others, since I never thought a crossing with a premium line would involve cutting (ACBL Sanctioned) duplicate bridge -

but, at least for the upcoming Crossing on April 4, 2015 from Papeete to Lima, which includes 8 out of 11 days at sea crossing, has ZERO/No scheduled bridge program, per Oceania and our TA confirming.

Bridge and Cruising go hand in hand, and for every cruise we've been on, the bridge program (lessons, play etc) has been absolutely one of the reasons to choose a premium offering like Oceania/Regent/Silverseas/Crystal over others.

I wrote to Oceania about this crossing, and in general about how this would impact our future reservations - if this matters to you - maybe a good idea to have your TA get in touch with Oceania and their Special Services Group.

Certainly they have enough time to still put this crossing out to a Director...

Times have changed and you seem to be deliberately sticking your head in the sand.

Fewer and fewer people play bridge these days, and the term "modern bridge" is something of an oxymoron...it's a dying art.

Special Interest Cruises may keep bridge as an activity for a few years yet, but it is no longer seen as a viable entertainment for the majority.

In my book, Oceania would do better by devoting the time and the resources toward instruction in Social Media, digital photography, or even zumba :p.

Times have changed and you seem to be deliberately sticking your head in the sand.

Fewer and fewer people play bridge these days, and the term "modern bridge" is something of an oxymoron...it's a dying art.

Special Interest Cruises may keep bridge as an activity for a few years yet, but it is no longer seen as a viable entertainment for the majority.

In my book, Oceania would do better by devoting the time and the resources toward instruction in Social Media, digital photography, or even zumba :p.

Agree ... With the exception of Zumba.

Played bridge in leagues for years and got tired of it. The Day comes when one gets tired of watching all the ear tugging, double/triple eye blinks, head scratching, nose rubbing up or out, etc., etc, during bidding and play. I'd rather play poker with a stacked deck and mirrors behind me today, than play bridge! Seems to be the same direction that trivia has headed on some of the cruises, a blood sport. It's a frigging game, if people would only play it to have fun instead of whatever the ego trip they get from winning, whatever the means!:mad:

After 15 cruises on Oceania, mostly traveling with a friend who likes to play bridge, there was only one cruise she was able to get a table together. On all others no one was interested. There is so much else to do and most people seem to just like to relax around the pool and in a lounge.

We live in a retirement community and the bridge group is getting smaller and smaller. We hear there is too much "fighting" and disagreement among the players.

Travel-bug,

I understand you. I was angry when HAL did away with twice daily Thai Chi class. I wrote to headquarters. Did it help? No. The bridge director is not paid anyway, just gets the cabin for free and has to be available as monitor on excursions.

Bridge keeps my husband entertained on sea days and at home. No disagreements, having fun without being fighting-ly competitive. He says it is a mental sport.

Edited by Floridiana

I have never been on a TA or a sailing with a number of sea days where there wasn't a Bridge Director.

On each of those cruises, there were lots of players, both for duplicate as well as for social play. Polo, the venue for the bridge, was heavily used.

Agree. 100%

Totally agree... And after today inn Paris Bridge seems irrelevant...

I learned "college rules" bridge many years ago, and still play -- college rules, and purely for fun, only with friends, of course (real bridge players would not tolerate me). Betsy still plays rubber bridge once a month the the same three other gals with whom she's been playing for nearly 40 years. All for fun, and quite a bit of gab. Duplicate bridge has too many rules to fit with cruising, in my opinion...

There always seems to be a group onboard to play bridge whether they are sanctioned or not varies by the cruise

There is a list of Bridge cruises on the website for those that are interested

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/signaturesailings/bridgeleaders.aspx

Edited by LHT28

I played bridge somewhat in high school and college and always enjoyed it even though I wasn't very good. A maiden aunt of my best friend in high school taught us the basics and SHE was an excellent player.

I haven't played in about 40 years so I don't miss it on cruises. And as Lyn said, depending on the people on the cruise you should be able to find at least one table among other guests. It may not always be easy to do so depending on how many people you are meeting on tours, at meals, etc.

The last time I played was on a Bus & Truck national tour of a choral group and I played out the hand of someone who left the game on the bus -- the bid was 6 no trump. By some miracle, I made it. It was a miracle because I never did learn to "count" the tricks ... My ESP must have been in high gear that day.

Mura

There was a bridge director on Regatta's Panama Canal crossings both ways. They didn't announce it right away. I understand the Panama Canal trip in April has one because she told me she was directing. We had about 9 tables every day at sea.

Capacity issue

On our cruise last July they cancelled the scheduled bridge director and gave away the cabin to a paying guest. Some guests were quite upset

Bridge is not a priority for Oceania.

If it is for you, consider a different line. You will constantly be disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On all our longer or TA cruises bridge has always been an option. Sometimes if you didn't get to Polo in time there were no seats left. So I would not say that no one is interested.

Personally I stopped playing bridge on cruises when the players got nasty and here I was in The South Pacific putting up with this crap when I could be enjoying the cruise with my husband. I am not a regular player and was trying to learn more. Forget that!!

But I would say on our cruises there has always been lots of interest.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums