Travel insurance- medibank private

Has anyone used medibank private travel insurance? Going through old threads I can't see much mention of it, lots about covermore and a few others I can't remember the names of. The only reason I am considering Medibank is that I work for them (not in the insurance side though!) so I get a pretty big discount. Other one I'd be interested in is Australia Post travel insurance as hubby I think gets a discount with that.

Has anyone used medibank private travel insurance? Going through old threads I can't see much mention of it, lots about covermore and a few others I can't remember the names of. The only reason I am considering Medibank is that I work for them (not in the insurance side though!) so I get a pretty big discount. Other one I'd be interested in is Australia Post travel insurance as hubby I think gets a discount with that.

I haven't used Medibank or Aus Post, my big question is who underwrites it. Both of those are underwritten by the same insurer, so check who gives you the biggest discount between the two.

We have used Medibank Travel Insurance on two cruises. They were very easy to deal with and fortunately we didn't have to make a claim. For our next cruise though we found Medibank very expensive so have gone with Insure and Go.

Leigh

I haven't used Medibank or Aus Post, my big question is who underwrites it. Both of those are underwritten by the same insurer, so check who gives you the biggest discount between the two.

Yep you never look at who you are buying it from - you look at the overall underwriter.

Thank you all, both same underwriter also underwrites covermore, similar in price pre discount and covers basically the same things.

I didn't look at who else they underwrote, if then you get a GOOD discount from both Medbank and Aus Post, go for the biggest discount.

This may provide another bit of coverage to look at when buying travel insurance.

It seems many policies provide coverage for the excesses when renting vehicles. Far far far far cheaper than the rip offs by the rental companies.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/the-one-thing-you-need-to-know-before-you-rent-a-car/story-fn6yjihw-1227179260266

Edited by Docker123

Do the research, check the underwriter, the terms and conditions, the excesses, the overall cost, and if possible, word of mouth on how they are to deal with, not just on buying insurance but also on claiming.

That said, I have used several differing companies and most have either QBE or Zurich as the underwriter, for me they have paid all reasonable claims so far.:D

This may provide another bit of coverage to look at when buying travel insurance.

It seems many policies provide coverage for the excesses when renting vehicles. Far far far far cheaper than the rip offs by the rental companies.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/the-one-thing-you-need-to-know-before-you-rent-a-car/story-fn6yjihw-1227179260266

No matter who the underwriter is, or if you've used them before check the inclusions and more importantly the exclusions.

Some companies sell a few different policies with different inclusions, or an underwriter will sell through a few outlets with different inclusions nad they are always tweeking the wordings and inclusions to maximise profits, so always check.

Thank you GUT I will absolutely check out the inclusions and exclusions having been caught out this way with home insurance in the past where they refused to pay a claim for damage (apparently a fire needs to have flames, I was not covered for smouldering heat that caused over $1000 worth of damage!) TBH I don't trust any of them much, all about maximizing profits in my opinion!

Thank you GUT I will absolutely check out the inclusions and exclusions having been caught out this way with home insurance in the past where they refused to pay a claim for damage (apparently a fire needs to have flames, I was not covered for smouldering heat that caused over $1000 worth of damage!) TBH I don't trust any of them much, all about maximizing profits in my opinion!

Of course it's about maximising profits, it's a business not a charity, but you need to be very careful to check that what you are buying suits you, the one I love is the distinction between flood and storm.

[quote name=MicCanberra;45210723.

That said' date=' I have used several differing companies and most have either QBE or Zurich as the underwriter, for me they have paid all reasonable claims so far.:D[/quote]

Is the Zurich through your CC Mic?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by cruisine21

Having previously worked for medibank their staff discount for travel insurance is very good. I have used them on many occasions , for policies from 2 weeks to three months,when I worked for them and when I left. I have had to make claims and their process was very easy. I found their inclusions comprehensive and good.

That being said I have also used other providers, it is amazing the price variation you can get. I have been quoted a different price by the same insurer(not medibank) for the same policy when I went directly to their website versus going via an add on Google.

We previously used Covermore because we could pay an additional premium to be covered for a pre-existing condition. We have made 2 unrelated claims for a Doctor's visit onboard Princess and were paid with no problems.

Our last 2 policies have been with Medibank Private and I have noticed that the questions asked about pre-existing are IDENTICAL to Covermore and Australia Post.

The reason we went with Medibank Private (MP) is we are members and they were cheaper. With MP, the cover for cancellation is UNLIMITED whereas with Covermore you have to state upfront the estimated cost of the trip and this seems to significantly increase the cost of the premium.

As we have recently been doing longer (more expensive) cruises and making final payment many weeks prior to sailing, MP was the better option for us. Our current policy is an annual one.

Can someone give me some names of insurance companies who cover

over 75s my dear lad has just turned that, it looks to me as if it is going

to be a bit of a headache. We have always gone with suresave, but we are

members of Cota not sure if they cater for over 75s.:)

I could only suggest googling "travel insurance over 75 Australia", and go to actual insurance sites. Many of the google results are comparison sites, and I just tried one for another travel insurance research and I knew none of the companies they listed.

It appears that Aust Post recently changed their provider. They are now through Great Lakes Australia, which eventually is under Munich Re Group.

http://policy.poweredbycovermore.com/partners/aupost/files/documents/pds/AUSPOST-Comprehensive.pdf

The pds is "powered by covermore". Wow, that is a lot of different companies getting a cut! See page 16 of the document (or page 9 of the pdf)

Found this on the web site also. Specifically about cruise insurance! http://auspost.com.au/travel-id/cruise-travel-insurance.html

Edited by goodycruising

Can someone give me some names of insurance companies who cover

over 75s my dear lad has just turned that, it looks to me as if it is going

to be a bit of a headache. We have always gone with suresave, but we are

members of Cota not sure if they cater for over 75s.:)

I know Australian Seniors Insurance has travel insurance but not sure what the premium for 75+ is. They had similar inclusions/exclusions to other companies we looked at. I don't remember who is the underwriter though.