OBC and travel agents

Last year we turned our cruise over to a travel agent and did not see any advantage. The cruise we have coming up we did not do that. We have a cruise booked for 2016 without an agent but I have been reading that some agents will give up to 10% obc? Where do I get in on this? How long from original booking do you have to turn it over to a ta? I have no local agent so I would think any agent would suffice? Thanks in advance.

Last year we turned our cruise over to a travel agent and did not see any advantage. The cruise we have coming up we did not do that. We have a cruise booked for 2016 without an agent but I have been reading that some agents will give up to 10% obc? Where do I get in on this? How long from original booking do you have to turn it over to a ta? I have no local agent so I would think any agent would suffice? Thanks in advance.

As Bob said, 60 days from original booking. Try calling some of the larger discount type agencies (hint: check your spam mail folder, you probably receive offers from two or three of them because of being a Cruise Critic member).

Just call and tell them what you want. They earn money for each booking transferred and really are just sharing their commission with you (in form of OBC). You probably won't have to call more than 2 or 3 agencies before you find one to do what you want. If you try a local shop or a 1 man show, probably not.

Make sure the TA you pick is insured so don't loose your money if they go out of business AND that they charge NO fees if you make any changes like to a lower rate or cabin change or cancel. Also ask if they take back the OBC if you see a lower rate before final payment and want to naturally get it.

Just was online in a bidding type atmosphere. I put in the cruise I wanted and they bid it back to me. Price is the same as RC except they offered me 335 more obc. Pretty substantial. Site appears to be highly recommended online. Anyone use one like this?

Cruzsnooze’s cautions aside, I’m with you.

I remember the years of walking into our travel agent’s office, perusing all the brochures with the agent, listening to his suggestions – then enjoying the discounts he could find. He talked us into our first cruise – with the American Hawaii Cruise line to cruise the Hawaiian Islands 30+ years ago. Boy, am I showing my age!

That storefront went out of business and we’ve used multiple agencies, including the online mega-agencies. None has every come to ME and said "Boy do I have a wonderful deal for you!" I think most of the OBCs (and free gratuities or drinks packages, etc) come through promotions the cruise lines offer to the agents … and watch for them and talk with the agencies to see who will be able to supplement what I am willing to pay.

Sooner or later I hope the cruise industry finds a different business model. What has evolved to this point isn’t all that great, except for those few who have been lucky enough to find those spectacular travel agents (so those of you who have this, please don’t criticize me).

... I have been reading that some agents will give up to 10% obc?...
Note taxes and port charges (the latter may be quoted in your cruise fare) are non-commissionable. Don't expect 10% on everything you pay; you might get 10% of commissionables. I have cousins who are very happy with their TA who gives them nothing (except maybe a bottle of wine), BUT he gives them GREAT service staying on top of everything including price reductions, Visas, etc. Don't expect maximum OBC and personalized service. And realize that price reductions reduce the TA's commission, which by right will decrease your OBC.

Thom

I actually prefer to not have a ta but if they want to give us 10% obc that is interesting. The one I am looking at is BBB A+ rated. I won't do anything until off of this next cruise as I may rebook on the ship and then turn it over to them.

Note taxes and port charges (the latter may be quoted in your cruise fare) are non-commissionable. Don't expect 10% on everything you pay; you might get 10% of commissionables. I have cousins who are very happy with their TA who gives them nothing (except maybe a bottle of wine), BUT he gives them GREAT service staying on top of everything including price reductions, Visas, etc. Don't expect maximum OBC and personalized service. And realize that price reductions reduce the TA's commission, which by right will decrease your OBC.

Thom

Me too. I have a great TA that I've used for years. No perks (except a bottle of wine). But the service is outstanding. She has managed to get me some upgrades I wasn't qualified for and would not have gotten on my own. Most notably was an upgrade on Oasis from a JS to a Crown Loft for a total of $300! It was "new bookings only, no other discounts apply," and by the time she "worked over" RCCL, I had the CL and got my D+ discount!! So, that is what I consider a real "perk." I just email or call her with what I need and it gets done.

On my upcoming cruise on the Quantum, we're getting prepaid 11 nites grats and $270 in OBCs from our TA. The downside is that there's a cancellation fee of $100 per person and $50 per for a 7 day cruise.

I've booked a family cruise for March 27 '16 and booked directly with RCL because there are 3 youngsters and any thing could happen in a year and a half--I was afraid that we could be stuck with $450 in possible cancellation fees. I called them and asked if there could be an exception--was told they'll broach the subject when it occurs. Did not want to book with such a ? hanging.

I use the TA when it's only me and my better half.

On my upcoming cruise on the Quantum, we're getting prepaid 11 nites grats and $270 in OBCs from our TA. The downside is that there's a cancellation fee of $100 per person and $50 per for a 7 day cruise.

I've booked a family cruise for March 27 '16 and booked directly with RCL because there are 3 youngsters and any thing could happen in a year and a half--I was afraid that we could be stuck with $450 in possible cancellation fees. I called them and asked if there could be an exception--was told they'll broach the subject when it occurs. Did not want to book with such a ? hanging.

I use the TA when it's only me and my better half.

I agree, I would not book unless the terms were spelled out before booking with the agent.