Oasis of the Seas food poisoning

WWWMOM1

Sorry this happened. I've been struck with norovirus twice. I was under quarantine for 36 hours the first time, and just over 48 hours the second. The first time, I got one day cruise credit and the next, it was two days. Still, it worked out to only about $200 per day. We had to use it up w/in a year. So, on the first time, we had to rebook. The second time, we applied it to an existing cruise. We had to wait for them to send me a certificate. I had to sign it and forward it to my TA, so she could send the original back to Royal. We barely made the final payment date.

This makes me go hmm because food poisoning is not confirmed through a blood test - it is confirmed with a stool sample. I was on a cruise before where there was a norovirus outbreak and the stool samples from the ill passengers were taken off of the ship to go to a lab on the land. I would seriously doubt that RCCL would have the necessary facilities to test on the ship.

Also, campylobacter, which is a very common cause of "food poisoning" can take 2-5 days to show symptoms so unless this was 5+ days into the cruise, she may have picked it up on land. Salmonella is less, but still I doubt you would be able to prove that this is RCCL's fault unless a lot of people were sick (which you would have heard about on the ship).

Just about what I was going to say, Also at 78, and if she was not used to travel, her digestive system is simply not used to different bacteria and other pathogens. I think RC did good

Certainly a blood draw would be commonly done when patient presents with such complaints. Blood counts and chemistry tests can tell doctor a bit about body's reaction to illness, evidence of dehydration, electrolyte balance, and such.

But what blood test are you thinking of that would "confirm food poisoning"?

Sorry, not a Dr. so have no idea what blood test. Just relaying what the Mayo Clinic says.;):) I found this because the OP said they had a blood test so was just checking to see if, in fact, a blood test would be done.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/food-poisoning/basics/tests-diagnosis/con-20031705

Sorry, not a Dr. so have no idea what blood test. Just relaying what the Mayo Clinic says.;):) I found this because the OP said they had a blood test so was just checking to see if, in fact, a blood test would be done.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/food-poisoning/basics/tests-diagnosis/con-20031705

Mayo generally is a decent site for general, patient level information, but that section is inartfully phrased, IMHO.

Doctors do post on these boards. Maybe even one with a specialization in laboratory medicine.

I had cruise credit certificates after getting Noro on Adventure. They worked out the total to be paid based on how many days quarantine (3) divided by the length of the cruise- so I had a percentage of the days I'd missed. They also gave my husband and daughter the same credit too. I thought it was very fair.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Basic blood test would be a CBC (complete blood count). This would likely tell if a patient has an infection, but not any one specific type of infection, everything from a strep throat to an infected hangnail could show up in a CBC..

As to identification of the infection more complete diagnostics would surely be needed.

OMO

bosco

Mayo generally is a decent site for general, patient level information, but that section is inartfully phrased, IMHO.

Doctors do post on these boards. Maybe even one with a specialization in laboratory medicine.

Just Google testing for food poisoning. With just a quick look at any number of the suggested sites a blood test is listed. Are they all inartfully phrased?

... but if it was a case of food poisoning from the ship, wouldn't others on board also be sick from the same bad food?

Yes, that is what OP is asking. Obviously no one else has come forward yet.

Just Google testing for food poisoning. With just a quick look at any number of the suggested sites a blood test is listed.

Yep - that was the first thing I did when this thread appeared last night; apparently, a blood test can be used to confirm food poisoning, or so several sites say.

There's more to this story. ;)

Yes, that is what OP is asking. Obviously no one else has come forward yet.

Yep - that was the first thing I did when this thread appeared last night; apparently, a blood test can be used to confirm food poisoning, or so several sites say.

There's more to this story. ;)

I think so, too but I'll keep my thoughts to myself.;);)

I'd like to know what blood test confirmed food poisoning.

C'mon Doc, you know the food poisoning test. I get one every time I am sick. You must have dones thousands of them.:D I think when you dip it in the person's mouth it turns red. That is how I remember it working.:D:eek:

jc

Edited by xpcdoojk

Just Google testing for food poisoning. With just a quick look at any number of the suggested sites a blood test is listed. Are they all inartfully phrased?

A few things things:

-That blood tests may be done when a person has such gastrointestinal symptoms does not mean there is a blood test confirms the diagnosis is food poisoning.

-If websites are written or sourced to the same person, odds are reasonable that such sites will all be inartfully phrased.

-Which is more substantial: your google search or medical school plus residency plus years of practice?

Edited by Starry Eyes

A few things things:

-That blood tests may be done when a person has such gastrointestinal symptoms does not mean there is a blood test confirms the diagnosis is food poisoning.

-If websites are written or sourced to the same person, odds are reasonable that such sites will all be inartfully phrased.

-Which is more substantial: your google search or medical school plus residency plus years of practice?

Look, I'm really not trying to get in a pi$$ing match here. All I did was take a look around to see if a blood test could possibly show food poisoning as I had not heard that before. I honestly don't know if one was done when I went to the ER thinking I possibly had food poisoning.

LOLOL............isn't the old phrase, if it's online, it must be true.........:eek:

Please give me a break here. I'm not that stupid to think everything on the internet is true. So tell me, you never believe ANYTHING you find online?

How's this? There is no blood test that will show food poisoning.:D

Edited by iheartbda

....All I did was take a look around to see if a blood test could possibly show food poisoning as I had not heard that before. I honestly don't know if one was done when I went to the ER thinking I possibly had food poisoning.

Please give me a break here. I'm not that stupid to think everything on the internet is true....

From many others posts, I believe you are smart helpful person. Medicine just is not your field. In "learn something new everyday" mode, now you know that blood tests can be helpful in evaluation a person with such gastrointestinal symptoms, but the blood test won't confirm food poisoning (At least circa 2015; maybe one will come along. If so you can consider yourself ahead of your time:D).

Blood tests and stool samples aside:rolleyes:, the thing that strikes me as a little odd about this report is that the OP's Mother-in-Law had food poisoning, yet we haven't heard about an outbreak of food poisoning on that sailing. I would think that on a ship with hundreds of people eating from the same source, quite a few people would be stricken if it was food poisoning. Now, I know only a small percentage of cruisers are on CC, but for major things we usually hear about them here within hours of the event.:eek: This time? Crickets.

Edited by Cindy

I find it hard to believe only one person would get food poisoning on a ship that size. Its not like meals are made to order and with everything being done it bulk wouldn't it contaminate the rest of the food being made using said contaminated product. Seeing as the op said it was a couple of days into the cruise did they get off the ship at the first port? Did they eat or drink anything on shore? Based on the fact I'm sure rccl is asking these same questions and if no other reports came up I think the comp is perfectly fair.

This of course is my opinion. I'm not a doctor, detective, or chef. I just pretend on the interwebs

...but for major things we usually hear about them here within hours of the event.:eek: This time? Crickets.

Yep. There is more to this story that we do not know. This post from the first page got me thinking about the possibility of contamination from a non-food source:

It could have very easily come from a guest that took a poop, didnt wash, and used a handrail right before your mom.

Blood tests and stool samples aside:rolleyes:, the thing that strikes me as a little odd about this report is that the OP's Mother-in-Law had food poisoning, yet we haven't heard about an outbreak of food poisoning on that sailing. I would think that on a ship with hundreds of people eating from the same source, quite a few people would be stricken if it was food poisoning. Now, I know only a small percentage of cruisers are on CC, but for major things we usually hear about them here within hours of the event.:eek: This time? Crickets.

Yep, I said almost the exact thing a number of posts ago.

From many others posts, I believe you are smart helpful person. Medicine just is not your field. In "learn something new everyday" mode, now you know that blood tests can be helpful in evaluation a person with such gastrointestinal symptoms, but the blood test won't confirm food poisoning (At least circa 2015; maybe one will come along. If so you can consider yourself ahead of your time:D).

Oh come on now, I fully admitted that I was not a doctor, are you? I can honestly say that I'm ahead of my times in some things but certainly not medicine.:D

Why not go after the OP? They are the one who brought up this whole blood test thing.:D As I previously posted, I looked it up as I had never heard of a blood test for food poisoning. I can't believe that I have to defend myself for something that I did so innocently.

Karen, why didn't you say earlier that you also looked it up? I wouldn't be in this mess by myself. LOLOL

Edited by iheartbda

Oh come on now, I fully admitted that I was not a doctor, are you? I can honestly say that I'm ahead of my times in some things but certainly not medicine.:D

A. I am surprised you did not read between the lines, so, more bluntly, yes (and FWIW, not the only on on this thread).

B. "Ahead of your time" was suppose to be a light-hearted joke (note the:D), not an attack. I am sorry the intent was not clear to you. No offensive intended.

I had cruise credit certificates after getting Noro on Adventure. They worked out the total to be paid based on how many days quarantine (3) divided by the length of the cruise- so I had a percentage of the days I'd missed. They also gave my husband and daughter the same credit too. I thought it was very fair.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow, was this RCI? My daughter got Noro on the Disney Dream was down the last full day, I got it that night before we disembarked. She was not offered a thing, but they made sure everyone knew she was quarantined and wouldn't offer her anything at all to eat. Not that she wanted anything. Actually I find Disney downplays Noro on board. There were many people in the medical office when I brought Emily down.

I am one. There is no blood test that is used to confirm food poisoning. And the Mayo clinic site does not say that there is one either.

Blood tests are used to help determine if someone may have a bacterial vs. a viral infection as well as to whether or not they are becoming volume depleted (dehydrated). There are thousands of things that we use blood testing for. Confirming food poisoning is not one of them.

A. I am surprised you did not read between the lines, so, more bluntly, yes (and FWIW, not the only on on this thread).

B. "Ahead of your time" was suppose to be a light-hearted joke (note the:D), not an attack. I am sorry the intent was not clear to you. No offensive intended.

No, I did get that you meant ahead of my time jokingly, hence my joking response. I wasn't offended. No harm, no foul.:)