Oasis of the Seas food poisoning

WWWMOM1

We had a wonderful December 20 - 27, 2014 cruise on the Oasis of the Seas, well almost all of us. A couple days into the cruise, my mother-in-law be came violently ill (can I say from both ends) at 2:00 AM. My poor father-in-law did his best to clean up what was an awful mess in their bathroom. Later that morning he took her to the ship's doctor who confirmed with a blood test it was food poisoning. They gave her IV fluids and told her to stay confined to her room for 24 hours. At that point the only foods she had consumed were on the ship so we know the source was the Oasis. She is 78 years young and it took her some days before she was feeling well enough to enjoy the rest of the cruise. We aren't sure if there were others affected on the ship but I was wondering if others in the same situation received any type of refund from the cruise lines? My in-laws just got a call from RCCL saying they would be giving them $187 each to put toward a future cruise. I find it interesting the compensation really ends up putting more money in RCCL's pockets in the form of another cruise. I'd be interested in hearing if this is how cruise lines normally handle such situations. They have been on 30+ cruises and are really disappointed in RCCL's response. I look forward to your feedback.

I think that is fair reimbursement. I am guessing there was no charge for the medical visit? If this had happened at a land based resort, I think it is likely that there would be no reimbursement, (other than your meal) unless many, many guests were affected.

Edited by Coralc

Sorry this happened, but to be honest I am surprised they offered anything. It could have very easily come from a guest that took a poop, didnt wash, and used a handrail right before your mom.

I am not an RCI cheerleader, in fact I have never sailed on RCI (first trip coming up), but they seemed to have made a nice gesture here. What were you expecting?

I think you received fair compensation. Had this happened at a resort, hotel, etc. it's not likely you would have received anything. Food poisoning is commonly confused with other issues and unless a greater number of passengers tested positive for the same bacterial strain there's really no way to pinpoint true food poisoning. I know nothing about the medical facilities on the ship but I'm surprised they have the necessary labs to do conclusive blood tests. Unfortunately she could have picked up a 'bug' from anywhere that produced similar symptoms.

I think you received fair compensation. Had this happened at a resort, hotel, etc. it's not likely you would have received anything. Food poisoning is commonly confused with other issues and unless a greater number of passengers tested positive for the same bacterial strain there's really no way to pinpoint true food poisoning. I know nothing about the medical facilities on the ship but I'm surprised they have the necessary labs to do conclusive blood tests. Unfortunately she could have picked up a 'bug' from anywhere that produced similar symptoms.

My first thought was the illness was confused with Noro virus but then the OP said they had done a blood test which would show food poisoning. But, I am also quite surprised they would have the necessary labs.

Sorry this happened, but to be honest I am surprised they offered anything. It could have very easily come from a guest that took a poop, didnt wash, and used a handrail right before your mom.

I am not an RCI cheerleader, in fact I have never sailed on RCI (first trip coming up), but they seemed to have made a nice gesture here. What were you expecting?

Having been stationed on a naval ship before this is what I was thinking. The "Double Dragon," as we called it, was quite common cause most sailors just didn't care enough about simple hygiene and planted unnecessary germs all over the ship. At least you got some comp as I always assumed (again from prior naval experience) that going on a ship has it's inherent health risks, no matter how much they work to keep commonly touched surfaces clean. Use those hand sanitizers every time you pass one, regardless if you are about to eat or not.

I think my view might be a little different than others. I'm not a fan of cruise lines giving compensation by way of discounts on a future cruise that may or may not ever be used. If it was confirmed food poisoning from the ship, I think RCI should have given something more along the lines of immediate compensation. I don't know what would be fair because I wasn't the one sick....I just think future cruise discounts are a little insulting.

But I'm also curious...how did they figure that odd amount? :confused:

My first thought was the illness was confused with Noro virus but then the OP said they had done a blood test which would show food poisoning. But, I am also quite surprised they would have the necessary labs.

I'd like to know what blood test confirmed food poisoning.

At the risk of being called a cheerleader, these were the first questions that came to mind. :confused:

This makes me go hmm because food poisoning is not confirmed through a blood test - it is confirmed with a stool sample. I was on a cruise before where there was a norovirus outbreak and the stool samples from the ill passengers were taken off of the ship to go to a lab on the land. I would seriously doubt that RCCL would have the necessary facilities to test on the ship.

Also, campylobacter, which is a very common cause of "food poisoning" can take 2-5 days to show symptoms so unless this was 5+ days into the cruise, she may have picked it up on land. Salmonella is less, but still I doubt you would be able to prove that this is RCCL's fault unless a lot of people were sick (which you would have heard about on the ship).

Edited by jerseygirl703

We were on the Grandeur in Dec. and one of our friend's husband got sick and was quarantined to his cabin. It was due to some medication he was on, not food poisoning or noro. He was quarantined about 2-3 days total, not consecutive. They received compensation for the days he was confined. Not sure if it was in the form or future cruise credits or a refund.

Maybe that is how they came up with the odd amount for the credit.

Gwen :)

how did they come up with that figure - $187?

I think my view might be a little different than others. I'm not a fan of cruise lines giving compensation by way of discounts on a future cruise that may or may not ever be used. If it was confirmed food poisoning from the ship, I think RCI should have given something more along the lines of immediate compensation. I don't know what would be fair because I wasn't the one sick....I just think future cruise discounts are a little insulting.

But I'm also curious...how did they figure that odd amount? :confused:

We had an entire wall mirror fall on us in bed on Oasis while we were sleeping. Thankfully we did not have to go to medical, but we were up for a few hours in the middle of the night while the area was cleaned and bedding was changed out. A few days later there was a bottle of wine and a letter from a guest the services manager that we spoke with later the next day about the incident. The letter gave us a FCC of 10% of what that cruise fare cost.

Our concern was our incident a one off, or one of many to come as Oasis was a few years old at that point. That is what we expressed to the Guest Services Manager as well as the head of house keeping that visited with us. We also provided them saved photos, to which they said would be used for training. This was a total surprise as we were more concerned about other guests and their safety.

The OP's FCC is most likely a percentage refund of what their sailing fare was, just like ours.

Edited by A&L_Ont

We had an entire wall mirror fall on us in bed on Oasis while we were sleeping. Thankfully we did not have to go to medical, but we were up for a few hours in the middle of the night while the area was cleaned and bedding was changed out. A few days later there was a bottle of wine and a letter from a guest the services manager that we spoke with later the next day about the incident. The letter gave us a FCC of 10% of what that cruise fare cost.

Our concern was our incident a one off, or one of many to come as Oasis was a few years old at that point. That is what we expressed to the Guest Services Manager as well as the head of house keeping that visited with us. We also provided them saved photos, to which they said would be used for training. This was a total surprise as we were more concerned about other guests and their safety.

The OP's FCC is most likely a percentage refund of what their sailing fare was, just like ours.

FCC seems to be hit and miss on the percentage. We got 25% for a shower that backed up into our bathroom floor. That was $287 PP. ;)

We had a wonderful December 20 - 27, 2014 cruise on the Oasis of the Seas, well almost all of us. A couple days into the cruise, my mother-in-law be came violently ill (can I say from both ends) at 2:00 AM. My poor father-in-law did his best to clean up what was an awful mess in their bathroom. Later that morning he took her to the ship's doctor who confirmed with a blood test it was food poisoning. They gave her IV fluids and told her to stay confined to her room for 24 hours. At that point the only foods she had consumed were on the ship so we know the source was the Oasis. She is 78 years young and it took her some days before she was feeling well enough to enjoy the rest of the cruise. We aren't sure if there were others affected on the ship but I was wondering if others in the same situation received any type of refund from the cruise lines? My in-laws just got a call from RCCL saying they would be giving them $187 each to put toward a future cruise. I find it interesting the compensation really ends up putting more money in RCCL's pockets in the form of another cruise. I'd be interested in hearing if this is how cruise lines normally handle such situations. They have been on 30+ cruises and are really disappointed in RCCL's response. I look forward to your feedback.

If they have a lab on the ship that does blood test it will be a first in the fleet. Cant imagine they have lab technicians employed on top of other medical personnel.

This makes me go hmm because food poisoning is not confirmed through a blood test - it is confirmed with a stool sample. I was on a cruise before where there was a norovirus outbreak and the stool samples from the ill passengers were taken off of the ship to go to a lab on the land. I would seriously doubt that RCCL would have the necessary facilities to test on the ship.

Also, campylobacter, which is a very common cause of "food poisoning" can take 2-5 days to show symptoms so unless this was 5+ days into the cruise, she may have picked it up on land. Salmonella is less, but still I doubt you would be able to prove that this is RCCL's fault unless a lot of people were sick (which you would have heard about on the ship).

But a blood test IS used to confirm food poisoning. Maybe not in all situations as a stool sample is probably the first test they use. Symptoms can start as soon as 30 minutes after eating something tainted.

I'm curious why she would have been told to stay confined to her cabin. Food poisoning is not contagious.

I realize that the percentage of cruisers posting on CC is quite small. However, given the size of the Oasis and number of passengers, one would think lots would be affected and there might be some other talk about it on CC.

how did they come up with that figure - $187?

Actually compensating the husband also is $364. Since she was confined for a day (24 hours), which sounds like what they do with Noro patients, its possible depending on the price they paid for the cruise, that was a day's value.

What equipment is available in the medical center?

The medical center is equipped with defibrillator/monitors, 12 lead EKG, pulse oximeters ventilator, infusion pumps, nebulizers, glucometers, lab equipment, a portable x-ray unit as well as a broad range of medications and supplies.

But a blood test IS used to confirm food poisoning. Maybe not in all situations as a stool sample is probably the first test they use. Symptoms can start as soon as 30 minutes after eating something tainted.

I'm curious why she would have been told to stay confined to her cabin. Food poisoning is not contagious.

I realize that the percentage of cruisers posting on CC is quite small. However, given the size of the Oasis and number of passengers, one would think lots would be affected and there might be some other talk about it on CC.

Certainly a blood draw would be commonly done when patient presents with such complaints. Blood counts and chemistry tests can tell doctor a bit about body's reaction to illness, evidence of dehydration, electrolyte balance, and such.

But what blood test are you thinking of that would "confirm food poisoning"?

Could the blood test and confinement have been more about ruling out norovirus (playing it safe) and less about confirming food poisoning? Just thinking "out loud". I definitely think the offer of compensation was fair.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by SuzD123

Could the blood test and confinement have been more about ruling out norovirus (playing it safe) and less about confirming food poisoning? Just thinking "out loud". I definitely think the offer of compensation was fair.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Nope, stool or vomitus are the usual specimens to test for noro.

Per CDC: "Serum specimens are not recommended for routine laboratory diagnosis of norovirus."