Oasis of the Seas food poisoning

WWWMOM1

I am one. There is no blood test that is used to confirm food poisoning. And the Mayo clinic site does not say that there is one either.

OK, gotcha.

Sooooo, it really does seem like the OP's MIL did not have food poisoning but rather Noro virus. Wonder if there was some "poetic license" by the OP saying a blood test confirmed it? As I previously stated, there would be no reason for the MIL to stay in their cabin since food poisoning is not contagious.

Usually, a cruise line will refund some amount, when and if, a person is confined to their cabin for Noro so the amount the OP stated was probably for the day the MIL stayed in her cabin.

We had a wonderful December 20 - 27, 2014 cruise on the Oasis of the Seas, well almost all of us. A couple days into the cruise, my mother-in-law be came violently ill (can I say from both ends) at 2:00 AM. My poor father-in-law did his best to clean up what was an awful mess in their bathroom. Later that morning he took her to the ship's doctor who confirmed with a blood test it was food poisoning. They gave her IV fluids and told her to stay confined to her room for 24 hours. At that point the only foods she had consumed were on the ship so we know the source was the Oasis. She is 78 years young and it took her some days before she was feeling well enough to enjoy the rest of the cruise. We aren't sure if there were others affected on the ship but I was wondering if others in the same situation received any type of refund from the cruise lines? My in-laws just got a call from RCCL saying they would be giving them $187 each to put toward a future cruise. I find it interesting the compensation really ends up putting more money in RCCL's pockets in the form of another cruise. I'd be interested in hearing if this is how cruise lines normally handle such situations. They have been on 30+ cruises and are really disappointed in RCCL's response. I look forward to your feedback.

As I read your post I have to wonder......would you be HAPPY if the $187 per person was just given to you as a credit to your credit card, rather than a credit to be applied on a future cruise. I come to this conclusion because you say 'the compensation really ends up putting more money in RCCL's pockets in the form of another cruise'. I realize you have been on 30+ cruises, so I am trying to determine what really would make you happy.

This makes me go hmm because food poisoning is not confirmed through a blood test - it is confirmed with a stool sample. I was on a cruise before where there was a norovirus outbreak and the stool samples from the ill passengers were taken off of the ship to go to a lab on the land. I would seriously doubt that RCCL would have the necessary facilities to test on the ship.

Also, campylobacter, which is a very common cause of "food poisoning" can take 2-5 days to show symptoms so unless this was 5+ days into the cruise, she may have picked it up on land. Salmonella is less, but still I doubt you would be able to prove that this is RCCL's fault unless a lot of people were sick (which you would have heard about on the ship).

There is a blood test for food poisoning. The cheaper test is probably the stool test. Depending on the type of food poisoning, it can strike from 1 hour to 10 days. I have had it along with over 100 people from a company holiday party. It came from the lettuce. We did not get free time off work, had to use PTO. We did not get any compensation for the meal and wonder if the company did! :eek: Needless to say, eating lettuce when traveling is not high on my food of choice.

I have had food poisoning twice in my life.

Never did a doctor suggest a blood test.

Just sayin'.

:)

P.S. Yes, the dollar amount of the compensation is based on the cruise fare paid. It is exceedingly rare for RC to give compensation in any form EXCEPT FCC: Future Cruise Certificates. They just don't give cash back. They just don't.

(as a totally unrelated comparison: I was charged for something that I should have gotten for free. When I called to have the charge reversed and the amount put back on my credit card, the RC rep said that he could only put it on a future cruise as an OBC or fare credit.)

I have had food poisoning twice in my life.

Never did a doctor suggest a blood test.

Just sayin'.

:)

P.S. Yes, the dollar amount of the compensation is based on the cruise fare paid. It is exceedingly rare for RC to give compensation in any form EXCEPT FCC: Future Cruise Certificates. They just don't give cash back. They just don't.

(as a totally unrelated comparison: I was charged for something that I should have gotten for free. When I called to have the charge reversed and the amount put back on my credit card, the RC rep said that he could only put it on a future cruise as an OBC or fare credit.)

I have gotten a refund. In 2007, I prepaid for the wine and dine, so dinner first night showed up in the MDR, and we had our table for two, and when asked if we wanted drinks, I said, yes the DW will have a bottle of white and I a bottle of red from the wine and dine gold or silver Package( don't remember which) which I told them I prepaid. They went away came back told me that they had no record of this, I say fine bill my sea pass. Next morning, took my receipt to the purser, they wouldn't budge. They gave me a phone number to call when I returned home. I called, and about 3 to 4 weeks later they credited back the wine and dine on my credit card.

Not nearly the same as having Noro...

jc

I find it interesting the compensation really ends up putting more money in RCCL's pockets in the form of another cruise. I'd be interested in hearing if this is how cruise lines normally handle such situations. They have been on 30+ cruises and are really disappointed in RCCL's response. I look forward to your feedback.

I find it 'interesting' that anyone but maybe a newbie would be surprised by this.

Food poisoning is usually a mild illness that may resolve on its own after a bout of stomach upset. However, in some cases it might be more serious needing therapy.

Symptoms of food poisoning like abdominal cramps, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea and weakness and association with a recent intake of contaminated food or water is often diagnostic of the condition.

However, sometimes blood tests, tests for the infected stools or even a sigmoidoscopy and other imaging tests may be prescribed to find out the causative organism. (1)

There are several steps for the diagnosis of food poisoning. (1-5)

History of intake of contaminated food

In most cases, the patient volunteers such information.

History of recent return from travel to a developing or underdeveloped country and drinking contaminated water or eating contaminated food should also be mentioned.

Physical examination

A complete physical examination may be needed especially to rule out signs of dehydration.

Dehydration is usually caused due to excessive fluid loss due to diarrhea or vomiting.

Dehydration is characterized by dry skin that remains tented after a pinch, sunken eyes, dry mouth, no sweating in the groins or armpits, no urination for long durations etc.

Weakness or paralysis may also be diagnosed on physical examination and may be indicative of Botulism which needs immediate therapy.

Blood pressure, pulse and temperature are also measured. Severe dehydration is manifested with weak pulse and low blood pressure.

If there is accompanying fever, temperature assessment may be helpful.

Routine blood tests

Routine blood tests may be ordered in some patients with severe food poisoning.

Sometimes these are ordered to check for levels of blood electrolytes and to check for adequate kidney functions.

In case of suspected hepatitis A liver function tests may also be ordered.

Stool examination

Stool samples are examined in case of Salmonella, Shigella and Campylobacter. These infections commonly lead to bloody diarrhea.

If there is a suspected parasitic infestation the stool samples are examined and the parasite is identified under the microscope.

Sometimes stool culture may be prescribed. The sample is allowed to stand in the laboratory in ideal environmental conditions and growth of the microorganism is checked.

Rectal examination

Rectal examination may be needed especially in case of bloody stools.

The doctor inserts a lubricated and gloved finger gently into the rectum for this tests and assess if there are breaks in the rectal wall.

Imaging studies

If the symptoms are suspected to be caused by any other illness, imaging studies are recommended.

These include CT scan of the abdomen.

Sometimes a sigmoidoscopy may be recommended. This involves insertion of a thin long tube within the rectum up to the colon. The tube has a camera on the tip. This helps diagnose any pathology within the intestinal walls.

Toxoplasmosis test

In pregnant women with symptoms there may be a risk of Toxoplasma infection. For this a toxoplasmosis test is advised.

There is a blood test for food poisoning. The cheaper test is probably the stool test.

Wait: are you a doctor? Cause Dr. Ocean Boy and Dr. Starry Eyes have already weighed in on the falsity of this statement. So if you're a doctor (a real doctor, I'm talking MD, not "chiropractor" or "PhD"), then I'm going to have to ask all three of you where you went to med school before I decide who's right. ;)

I mean, I've invested a good 10 minutes reading all 3 pages of this thread and i'm CURIOUS!!!!

Wait: are you a doctor? Cause Dr. Ocean Boy and Dr. Starry Eyes have already weighed in on the falsity of this statement. So if you're a doctor (a real doctor, I'm talking MD, not "chiropractor" or "PhD"), then I'm going to have to ask all three of you where you went to med school before I decide who's right. ;)

I mean, I've invested a good 10 minutes reading all 3 pages of this thread and i'm CURIOUS!!!!

I'm not a doctor, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn

... It is exceedingly rare for RC to give compensation in any form EXCEPT FCC: Future Cruise Certificates. They just don't give cash back. They just don't...
In 2006, I was on RCL and a known mechanical problem caused missed ports and reworked schedule. Everyone on the ship was given a substantial refundable OBC during the cruise itself - I CASHed that out. I admit that a) it was one (but only one) step removed from actual cash, and b) it was 9 years ago. I don't think anybody (including RCCL management) knows current policy on everything, but they have closed numerous loopholes (eg stacking of various discounts), so I could easily believe that today that would be a FCC.

Thom

For the benefit of your curiosity:

Vanderbilt

Long ago now, yet so many fond memories.

We had a wonderful December 20 - 27, 2014 cruise on the Oasis of the Seas, well almost all of us. A couple days into the cruise, my mother-in-law be came violently ill (can I say from both ends) at 2:00 AM. My poor father-in-law did his best to clean up what was an awful mess in their bathroom. Later that morning he took her to the ship's doctor who confirmed with a blood test it was food poisoning. They gave her IV fluids and told her to stay confined to her room for 24 hours. At that point the only foods she had consumed were on the ship so we know the source was the Oasis. She is 78 years young and it took her some days before she was feeling well enough to enjoy the rest of the cruise. We aren't sure if there were others affected on the ship but I was wondering if others in the same situation received any type of refund from the cruise lines? My in-laws just got a call from RCCL saying they would be giving them $187 each to put toward a future cruise. I find it interesting the compensation really ends up putting more money in RCCL's pockets in the form of another cruise. I'd be interested in hearing if this is how cruise lines normally handle such situations. They have been on 30+ cruises and are really disappointed in RCCL's response. I look forward to your feedback.
A lab test that confirmed food poisoning??????.......:confused::confused:

A lab test that confirmed food poisoning??????.......:confused::confused:

I am a nurse, not a doctor, so I do not diagnose. However, I do review charts as part of my hospital position. The blood tests are used to detect bacteria and viral. In today's instant world, a cruise ship most likely does have the ability to test some blood for various things. It would seem very feasible for them to have this ability. Food poisoning is not always instant. Usually people recover quickly. My DH got this as we were starting our first cruise. We had eaten breakfast at a 5 star hotel. He chose the buffet. He started to eat dinner and felt ill. He knew from what came, it was from breakfast. It was not a very pretty sight. He was ill about 24 hours and then fine. As I mentioned earlier, lettuce is the biggest offender for food poisoning. What makes it so bad: the infected part gets mixed into a larger amount. Not everyone will get ill as it depends on how much you ate and how responsive your system is to that bacteria.

I'm not sure why so many want to jump on the OP about the lab test. We live in an age where healthcare has advanced light years beyond many other professions. Perhaps I missed it, but I did not see a post of anyone saying they had been to the ship infirmary for this before and had/had not had a similar experience. I also believe RCI was very generous in offering anything to the parents. Hoping no one ever has to endure food poisoning!

Edited by DaNana

Karen, why didn't you say earlier that you also looked it up? I wouldn't be in this mess by myself. LOLOL

This Karen didn't look it up online. There are several of us on this thread.

I wouldn't bother because when me and several other people went to the hospital after eating bad fish that was served to us (land based). We told them we all ate the exact same thing. All three of us became very ill. The only thing the hospital confirmed a diagnosis of was dehydration. So I really don't believe the OP that the medical staff told her it was food poisoning. IMO

I think my view might be a little different than others. I'm not a fan of cruise lines giving compensation by way of discounts on a future cruise that may or may not ever be used. If it was confirmed food poisoning from the ship, I think RCI should have given something more along the lines of immediate compensation. I don't know what would be fair because I wasn't the one sick....I just think future cruise discounts are a little insulting.

But I'm also curious...how did they figure that odd amount? :confused:

I agree Paul. Not to mention that I wasn't aware of a blood test that could diagnose food poisoning!

Sorry this happened, but to be honest I am surprised they offered anything. It could have very easily come from a guest that took a poop, didnt wash, and used a handrail right before your mom.

I am not an RCI cheerleader, in fact I have never sailed on RCI (first trip coming up), but they seemed to have made a nice gesture here. What were you expecting?

Food poisoning from a handrail? C'mon. If they identified her problem as food poisoning then it came from something she ate, not a handrail. Now if they said she had norovirus then yeah that could happen. Food poisoning isn't contagious like that,

I'm not a doctor, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn

LOLOLOL Wish I had stayed in a Holiday Inn so maybe I wouldn't have made a fool of myself yesterday.:o:D

For the benefit of your curiosity:

Vanderbilt

Long ago now, yet so many fond memories.

We meet again and I think I have my head on straight today.;):)

Ksuds, sorry, I mean Karen-LangleyCruiser.

From many others posts, I believe you are smart helpful person. Medicine just is not your field. In "learn something new everyday" mode, now you know that blood tests can be helpful in evaluation a person with such gastrointestinal symptoms, but the blood test won't confirm food poisoning (At least circa 2015; maybe one will come along. If so you can consider yourself ahead of your time:D).

Talk about arrogant. I do believe the OP's story. Just because you haven't heard about it doesn't mean it hasn't been reported to RCL.

Sheldon_zps0526a4db.jpeg

The mere notion that a simple MD would trump my PHD in Theoretical Physics is not only implausible but inconceivable.

:D :D :D

Edited by Big_G

Talk about arrogant. I do believe the OP's story. Just because you haven't heard about it doesn't mean it hasn't been reported to RCL.
It seems to me that iheartbda and Starry Eyes are playing quite nicely with each other without your help. If you want to look for someone to sling the word "arrogant" at, you might look closer to home. Just because something has been reported to RCL doesn't necessarily make it true.

I believe that OP is reporting what he was told or what he thinks he was told, but with full documentation it is hard to say what happened. I know that I have sometimes "heard" things that either were not precisely what was said, or the person who was saying it was oversimplifying.

I am not an MD, but I am a physicist, and I did stay in a Holiday Inn about ten years ago.:rolleyes:

I'm an RN (not a physician) but agree 100% with the docs that have weighed in on this subject. For the most part food poisoning DX is based on symptoms and history and physical and is often a presumptive diagnosis.

Culturing out the offending organism is usually done via stool spec, NOT a blood test.

HOWEVER there could easily be blood tests ordered ESP. in an elderly person to determine level of hydration and electrolytes.

There is also the plain old ordinary CBC which CAN tell if there is an acute vs chronic inflammation/infection. There is a function called a "shift to the left" that they can look at. This "left shift" has to do with the number of certain white blood cells. So if certain WBC's are in excess amount, it's INDICATIVE of bacterial over viral infection. But it's not a blood test for food poisoning. Only confirmation of the inflammation/infection. More of "suggesting" a cause, but certainly not definitive. There are plenty of viruses and bacteria that cause various illnesses and this test doesn't specify the type.

So long way to say, basically blood tests in this case probably indicated an infection. Period. And hydration levels.

Also I was in isolation for noro, though I knew it was for IBS, as a reaction to booze, sun and rich food along w/ a crazy schedule. But I hadn't had a flare in ages so I didn't have meds. Went to the infirmary. Had a discussion w/ the doc who said he was forced to isolate me for presumptive noro (grabbed a big book and was going to show me that he had to follow protocol. I was fine w that, as "rules is rules". He actually only isolated me for 12 hours.

I DID get an OBC equal to the pro rated daily rate for 1 day. I didn't expect it. But I was appreciative. Trust me, until the flare subsided, I was going to be in my cabin for the day anyway.