New Culinary Classes

DaisyUK

Do you get this site ??

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/

If I try to look at the UK site I get the USA site ..I know there is a way to see the UK site but forget how I did it ...old age :D

Yes......all OK now thank you:)

Don't know about Marina's cookery classes tho'.

Perhaps Daisy will be able to access the site today.:)

I have just received the list of culinary classes to be featured on our next cruise (below), but there is no explanation of what each class entails. Some are pretty obvious from the titles, but not all of them. Has anyone attended any of these classes yet and, if so, maybe you could cast some light?

Amore Italiano

Bundles of Love

Rock the Wok

What Mermaids Know

Happy 80th Jacques Pepin

Land of Aragon

At Home in Sicily

Il Primi

Viva Tapas

Since no one knows definitely about the new classes, which ones do you want us to make an educated guess about?

ok I will play :D

Amore Italiano pasta

Bundles of Love chocolate treats

Rock the Wok chinese

What Mermaids Know fish

Happy 80th Jacques Pepin

Land of Aragon Spanish

At Home in Sicily Italian home cooking

Il Primi more Italian

Viva Tapas Spanish appies

I tried to access the link posted by LHT28 -- and got exactly to where I was (not) before... ie, go to "Manage my Booking" Then "Choose Culinary classes" then click on the link that should bring up a list... and get an error message.

Anyway - I have booked two today via my TA. Rock the Wok and Viva Tapas (which I trust is not "Spanish apples" but "Spanish appetisers" I think I will get my TA to add the Mermaid one even though it means one heavy day of cooking... but so what? That is my "daily lot" anyway...

I have just received the list of culinary classes to be featured on our next cruise (below), but there is no explanation of what each class entails. Some are pretty obvious from the titles, but not all of them. Has anyone attended any of these classes yet and, if so, maybe you could cast some light?

Amore Italiano

Bundles of Love

Rock the Wok

What Mermaids Know

Happy 80th Jacques Pepin

Land of Aragon

At Home in Sicily

Il Primi

Viva Tapas

Ours are out on the Marina for August. I presume the discription would along similar lines. Here are the ones we have in common -

CLASS NAME: Rock the Wok

CLASS LENGTH: 1 hour

The primary cooking technique of Asian cuisine uses very high heat and the vessel known as a wok. In this class, you will explore three diverse cuisines of Asia: Chinese, Japanese and Thai. You'll master the 'Asian Pantry' of ingredients used in these cuisines. Knife skills, mis en place and high heat cooking are the fundamental techniques of this class. You'll learn how to work with rice paper and pad thai noodles, lacquer sear fish and roll sushi, along with the basics of rice wine, saki.

CLASS NAME: Bundles of Love

Who doesn't enjoy a bite of food with something 'special' inside? From sweet to savory, this class is a fun way to spend two hours and taste lots of

delicious food. You'll travel the world in this class, making dishes from every continent, all celebrating these tasty little bundles. While dishes will vary by season, you'll master recipes such as filled French crepes, Jacques' seafood wonton, fresh spring rolls, eggplant involtini, Mexican quesedillas, Sicilian arancini, chocolate lava cake and Jamacian samosas.

CLASS NAME: I Primi

We all love ordering pasta when travelling in Italy or for a night out, but how about eating pasta in the true Italian tradition — at home! This popular class covers the basics of pasta; fresh vs dried, cookery and sauces. Gather around our chef station and experience the joy of making fresh pasta, then roll out pasta dough at your station and make two sauces. You'll also make a dish with dried pasta and see a chef demonstration of advanced pasta techniques.

CLASS NAME: Happy 80th Jacques Pepin

Help us celebrate the glorious career of our Executive Culinary Director, Jacques Pépin! Regarded in the Chef comminuty as the 'master of technique,' we've selected recipes for this class that embrace Jacques' lifelong passion for culinary technique. Prepare delicious dishes while practicing the basic technqiues that chefs have learned from Jacques Pépin over the past six decades. Drink a glass of Jacques' favorite champagne as a toast to 'the master' and send a Happy Birthday photo to him at the conclusion of each class!

CLASS NAME: What Mermaids Know

As we all balance our diets for diversity, fish is one protein that consistently intimidates even the most experienced of home cooks. In this technique-driven and popular class, you'll master the basics of fish cookery; sear, bake, shallow poach, deep poach, curing and ceviche. When you finish this class, you will know how to purchase and store fish, cook or prepare it in a diverse number of ways. This class also shares the passion and practices in the worldwide chef community for sustainable fishing practices, including responsible aquaculture.

And thank you from me, too, Jakes47! Very very useful. I just wish that on our cruise "Rock the Wok" and "What mermaids know" were not on the same day. AM and PM cooking class on the same day is too long for me.

And re Rock the Wok - I do not see what sushi has to do with a wok. Sounds like a strange thing to include.

And I see you have them listed as 1 hour? Normally the classes are 2hrs in length. 1 hour seems very short for everything they say they will cover.

Edited by Hambagahle

Thank you Jakes47! This is very helpful for our cruise leaving in June, which does not yet have descriptions. Funny, Bundles of Love was much more literal than I thought, that is for sure.

Catherine

Enjoy your planning, but don't assume that the class schedules, or even the class offerings will be identical from voyage to voyage. The Culinary Classes and the La Reserve schedule vary.

And thank you from me, too, Jakes47! Very very useful. I just wish that on our cruise "Rock the Wok" and "What mermaids know" were not on the same day. AM and PM cooking class on the same day is too long for me.

And re Rock the Wok - I do not see what sushi has to do with a wok. Sounds like a strange thing to include.

And I see you have them listed as 1 hour? Normally the classes are 2hrs in length. 1 hour seems very short for everything they say they will cover.

Yes - I was also surprised they were all listed for 1 hour and thinking/hoping this is a mistake as the price is $75AUD which is more than I paid a couple of years ago for the 2 hours. Will just have to wait and see.

Bev

Enjoy your planning, but don't assume that the class schedules, or even the class offerings will be identical from voyage to voyage. The Culinary Classes and the La Reserve schedule vary.

I think we all know that Jim:rolleyes:. What we wanted is just a brief description of the actual new classes and this is what Jake provided for us all. Of course schedules, classes etc will differ from cruise to cruise but at least now we know what the bundles of love are:D

AND, as in regard to our previous posts re: personnel, not only did they hire one new chef but 2 :D

I just checked the classes available on our April 21st departure on Marina (Lima to NYC) and booked two. Like Gerry, I was interested in two classes that took place on the same day ... nope, that won't fly! They were the two that most interested me but I opted for the "Mediterranean Summer" and "Italian Family Table". The Moroccan class interested me equally as much, maybe even more, but it was on the same day as the Mediterranean which I'd already booked. Really hard to chose between the two!

Maybe I'll switch after I think more about it ...

On our cruise there don't seem to be any of those "strange named" options ...

We'd book for La Reserve again but the two menus being offered (at least so far) are ones we've already done, and one of them we've done twice, so we'll probably pass on that. I'm sorry about that ... I'd like to try the new menu but it isn't being offered yet on our cruise.

Mura

Mura

maybe they are rolling out the new classes on Riviera only

our May classes on Marina are the same as yours

We signed up for the Moroccan one ;)

One that I wanted was the morning in a port I really want to see too bad it was not in the afternoon that day :(

Lyn

Lyn,

I wouldn't do a class on a port day, no way. And you may well be right about the new ones being on Riviera. Actually, I'm not entranced by the descriptions. Probably my loss.

Then again, I'm a self-taught cook who has been called a gourmet by my guests. I know I am not, but I don't object! I've never taken such a class and I'm not sure I would do well in one! We shall see!

Mura

Lyn,

I wouldn't do a class on a port day, no way. And you may well be right about the new ones being on Riviera. Actually, I'm not entranced by the descriptions. Probably my loss.

Then again, I'm a self-taught cook who has been called a gourmet by my guests. I know I am not, but I don't object! I've never taken such a class and I'm not sure I would do well in one! We shall see!

Mura

I am NOT a gourmet cook by any stretch & my last cooking class was in High school home ec course

I am doing it as fun way to maybe change up our boring meal plan LOL

I am doing one on a port day but it is at 4pm so plenty of time to go ashore

I just noticed we do not get to port until noon so maybe will sign up for the other class at 10 am;)

A couple of the new ones look interesting to me but maybe another cruise will be in my future :D

Has anyone had experience with a cooking class at 10:00 a.m.? This class on sea day looks great - a tribute to Jacques Pepin - but cooking and tasting French dinner cuisine at 10:00 a.m.? Not that I don't enjoy eating all the time....:)

Mura - I took the Moroccan one two year ago and it was sort of "ho hum" if you have ever cooked any Moroccan food before. Tajines, couscous etc is what they covered. Not boring but not exciting either!

clcmdse - don't worry! You will be eating what you have cooked closer to 1200 than to 1000. Think of it as slightly early lunch. I actually prefer a 10am class to a 2pm one because if I eat anything between lunch and dinner I can't eat much for dinner. And on Oceania who wants not to eat at dinner?