help! I'm freaking out- cant find hotels for miami cruise

maithai918

This is my first time ever going on a cruise. My 6th year old son and his father is coming with me. My son's dad decided last minute we are going to a cruise. we just booked and it goes out on feb 15th. We read we should fly in the day before. So i booked a flight to fly in on feb 14th to FLL fort lauderdale. the cruise is in Miami though. I have no idea what hotel I'm supposed to book. I'm trying to save money given we are paying so much for this last minute flight and getting a passport last minute (going this Friday to another city just to get a passport).

So I have been researching and tried to look up hotel by the port (I guess its considered downtown?) Well they are all booked up for Feb 14th night. It happens to also be Vtine day! So that's not good for us. The ones not booked up are outrageous like around $400. We are getting in very late like 9 pm to FLL and by the time we get to hotel airport, we are just sleeping. So I don't need anything fancy but not horrible. Then I read the cheap places in Miami are very dangerous so I don't want to be in that situation either. I read that some people said to just stay in hotel in FLL, but where? Everything I looked is at least 40 minutes drive from the port. I need to consider how much it would cost to get from FLL airport to hotel and then hotel to the cruise.

Can anyone suggest some hotels that are safe, around $200 (less than $300) on Feb 14th that has shuttle/somewhat-cheap transportation from airport to hotel and hotel to cruise boat? I'm in a panic as I can't find anything and every time I think I have something, there's some news about how bad it is or the price goes up by the time I look at it again. I'm starting to freak out about not finding anything!

= (

Please help if anyone has some suggestions. TIA

Try the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon.

It is also President's Week and Miami Int'l Boat show which brings about 150,000 people to Miami.

Did you try hotwire for a downtown hotel?

You should be able to find something between two and three hundred dollars.

Good luck!

This is my first time ever going on a cruise. My 6th year old son and his father is coming with me. My son's dad decided last minute we are going to a cruise. we just booked and it goes out on feb 15th. We read we should fly in the day before. So i booked a flight to fly in on feb 14th to FLL fort lauderdale. the cruise is in Miami though. I have no idea what hotel I'm supposed to book. I'm trying to save money given we are paying so much for this last minute flight and getting a passport last minute (going this Friday to another city just to get a passport).

So I have been researching and tried to look up hotel by the port (I guess its considered downtown?) Well they are all booked up for Feb 14th night. It happens to also be Vtine day! So that's not good for us. The ones not booked up are outrageous like around $400. We are getting in very late like 9 pm to FLL and by the time we get to hotel airport, we are just sleeping. So I don't need anything fancy but not horrible. Then I read the cheap places in Miami are very dangerous so I don't want to be in that situation either. I read that some people said to just stay in hotel in FLL, but where? Everything I looked is at least 40 minutes drive from the port. I need to consider how much it would cost to get from FLL airport to hotel and then hotel to the cruise.

Can anyone suggest some hotels that are safe, around $200 (less than $300) on Feb 14th that has shuttle/somewhat-cheap transportation from airport to hotel and hotel to cruise boat? I'm in a panic as I can't find anything and every time I think I have something, there's some news about how bad it is or the price goes up by the time I look at it again. I'm starting to freak out about not finding anything!

= (

Please help if anyone has some suggestions. TIA

Try tingo.com (owned by Trip Advisor).

I'm guessing you've got a harmonic convergence of "room sucking" events, which will make $400 a bargain. If it gets down to the night before and you have nothing secured, try the "hotel tonight" app.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I would get an airport hotel in FLL then get a shuttle in the morning to port of Miami

try SAS shuttle or maybe rent a car if any available

Private car service or Taxi will run you $80 +

People recommend sunny.org to check hotels

We stayed at Cambria Suites in Ft Lauderdale close to airport with shuttle to hotel

Edited by LHT28

I would get an airport hotel in FLL then get a shuttle in the morning to port of Miami

try SAS shuttle or maybe rent a car if any available

Private car service or Taxi will run you $80 +

People recommend sunny.org to check hotels

We stayed at Cambria Suites in Ft Lauderdale close to airport with shuttle to hotel

I looked up Miami hotels and there were some reasonable good ones but the transportation from airport to the hotel was around $80 like you said and the transportation from the Miami hotel to port was around $25+. I looked up SAS but it says it will not take me from FLL airport to Miami airport hotel (which is the ones I'm supposed to get if I want to be by the port right?)

If I get a hotel in FLL, do you have a suggestion of which hotel? From FLL to the port, I think SAS charges $11 a person so total is only around $33. I guess as long as FLL airport to the Ft Lauderdale hotel is not outrageous, then Ft Lauderdale might be the place to stay.

What time do they board for cruises? I guess my question is what time am I supposed to get the port? I hate to sit there for 4 hours waiting with my hyper 6 years old. lol

You can get a room for only $263 here with your free hhonors number, including airport shuttle and breakfast. SAS can take you to the port the next day (I think it's $15pp, so $45. I'm not sure where you got the $11 quote):

Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port

2301 SW 12th Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, 33315, USA

You can get a room for only $263 here with your free hhonors number, including airport shuttle and breakfast. SAS can take you to the port the next day (I think it's $15pp, so $45. I'm not sure where you got the $11 quote):

weird its quoting $379 + $42 for me when i put in feb 14th.

it is $15. no idea where i got $11 from.

Has anyone seen this list? i found this where it listed some ft lauderdale hotel and cost of transp from airport. then next column it list the transportation from hotel to "port"-- might be dumb question but can i assume "port" means the "port of miami" where the cruise boats are at?

http://www.sunny.org/cruise-and-play/hotels-with-shuttles/

If I get a hotel in FLL, do you have a suggestion of which hotel? From FLL to the port, I think SAS charges $11 a person so total is only around $33. I guess as long as FLL airport to the Ft Lauderdale hotel is not outrageous, then Ft Lauderdale might be the place to stay.

What time do they board for cruises? I guess my question is what time am I supposed to get the port? I hate to sit there for 4 hours waiting with my hyper 6 years old. lol

Take a deep breath :D

Get a hotel close the FLL airport maybe one that has a free shuttle from the airport to hotel

There are several hotels with the free shuttles

Book SAS to Miami port, see if they pick up at your hotel if not take the FREE hotel shuttle back to FLL airport

You should probably get to Port of Miami by noon so leave FLL by 11am but earlier if you can

try Hyatt Place, Cambria suites Hampton Inn in Ft Lauderdale area

other may have more hotels to check

Enjoy the cruise

weird its quoting $379 + $42 for me when i put in feb 14th.

it is $15. no idea where i got $11 from.

Has anyone seen this list? i found this where it listed some ft lauderdale hotel and cost of transp from airport. then next column it list the transportation from hotel to "port"-- might be dumb question but can i assume "port" means the "port of miami" where the cruise boats are at?

I think it is Port Everglades they mean which is close to FLL airport

I get the MVP rate when I sign into the hotel's website with my HHonors acct there. If that doesn't work, go to hiltonfamilymvp, put in your date, and click on the hotel.

Edited by royalcruz

I totally understand your concern, its normal with you cruising for the first time. Some ideas: I would suggest since your flying into Fort Lauderdale you either stay in Fort Lauderdale or you can use SAS or Go transportation from the FLL airport. I checked online at Ramada Inn and Marriott and was able to get hotels not too too high! We come in the following week and also had to search to find a descent hotel to sleep for a few hours. With your son being so young I suggest you get to the port as early as possible. Maybe like 11, as time goes on it tends to get packed and the lines are super long. If you have any other questions feel free to email eking2293@yahoo.com. Cruising will be fun, once you get the hang of planning etc.

Edited by eking2293

Don't worry about the passport this late in the game. Use a birth certificate and drivers license. It has to be a gov issued birth cert ( not the one from the hospital with the little feet imprints). If you don't already have birth certs for you and your son, go down to the county building Office of Vital statistics or look up on line. Call the cruise line to verify this if it would make you feel more comfortable. Just rmember government issue and original copy with the stamp.

They are definitely referring to Port Everglades which is in Fort Lauderdale.

I've never heard of a Fort Lauderdale hotel providing a shuttle to the Port of Miami - that's more than 30 miles away.

Since your flying into Ft lauderdale late I would stay at a hotel near the airport there that has a free shuttle from airport to hotel but that time of year it won't be cheap. Some are Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn, Springhill, Homewood, Fairfield Inn, Crowne Plaza and all of these have a free shuttle from airport to hotel. Then the next morning you will have to find transportation to Miami.

It would actually be better to fly into Miami instead of Ft Lauderdale if you can change your flights. They are 2 separate cities and this would avoid the transportation problem.

Forget about passports....all you need is a birth certificate and drivers license.

Arrive at the ship about 11am. You will be on the ship in time for lunch.

I totally understand your concern, its normal with you cruising for the first time. Some ideas: I would suggest since your flying into Fort Lauderdale you either stay in Fort Lauderdale or you can use SAS or Go transportation from the FLL airport. I checked online at Ramada Inn and Marriott and was able to get hotels not too too high! We come in the following week and also had to search to find a descent hotel to sleep for a few hours. With your son being so young I suggest you get to the port as early as possible. Maybe like 11, as time goes on it tends to get packed and the lines are super long. If you have any other questions feel free to email eking2293@yahoo.com. Cruising will be fun, once you get the hang of planning etc.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

Does SAS only go from certain FLL hotels to port? This is what I found on their site. Are these their comprehensive list of the only hotels they go from or is that just an idea?

http://www.ridesas.com/html/area_hotels.html

If those are the only hotels, I guess I have to pick one of those. Our trip would be $45 + tip. That's better than then the $70-$80 quote I'm getting everywhere else. Is SAS the only transportation servicing to the POM?

I looked up Go transportation but it looks like it's going from airport?

I'm not worried about airport to hotel since I think we're going to stay at FLL hotel which should be cheap or free. So I'm more worried about the trip from the FLL hotel to the POM. That makes sense right? I was thinking I wanted to stay in Miami b/c everyone says to go there but my bf says just stay in FLL b/c its so late (we'll get in at 9 pm) and just get up early the next day to leave.

I saw on SAS that the times were 9:30 or 11 am. I know you guys are saying to get to the port for 11 am? So I should catch the 9:30. That means we will be sitting around for an hour? is that how it works? I'm glad you guys are advising me about the wait b/c my 6 years old is actually autistic (very high functioning but has a few quirks) so he may not do well sitting/standing around for long periods of time.

I did try to call SAS but they are closed. They're usually closed by the time I get home from work, take care of my son, and able to sit down and start planning.

I would also check with QLS and MJS for hotels they will pick up at - typical fares for all 3 start at $15 per person.

thanks! this is exactly what i need. going to look at what hotels they serve b/c the sas one only had one hotel with 3 star that was under $300 available. so didn't really have a choice there.

We are going that same weekend and are also flying into FLL around 9 pm, cruising out of Miami the next day. Since we don't care, we booked Red Carpet Inn. They are on the list SAS serves, have a free airport shuttle, and we booked for $85 on trip advisor. Won't be high class, but it's one night and we were most concerned with budget. We will see how it goes. Good luck!

We are going that same weekend and are also flying into FLL around 9 pm, cruising out of Miami the next day. Since we don't care, we booked Red Carpet Inn. They are on the list SAS serves, have a free airport shuttle, and we booked for $85 on trip advisor. Won't be high class, but it's one night and we were most concerned with budget. We will see how it goes. Good luck!

where are you flying in from? maybe we're on the same plane. I just looked up that inn and its $167 now. I'm going to run it by my son's daddy but he is a little picky about hotels (hence was looking for 3 stars). My son also has allergies and gets sick so easily so we want to make sure it's a clean and safe place. I found one I thought was decent b/c one of the travel site had it under $300 3 stars but turns out that travel site has horrible reviews b/c they overbook all the time. I called the hotel and they said they were all booked up that day! So now I'm starting my search over again! The list from the other two travel places turns out to be the same as SAS. so they all go from same hotels.

where are you flying in from? maybe we're on the same plane. I just looked up that inn and its $167 now. I'm going to run it by my son's daddy but he is a little picky about hotels (hence was looking for 3 stars). My son also has allergies and gets sick so easily so we want to make sure it's a clean and safe place. I found one I thought was decent b/c one of the travel site had it under $300 3 stars but turns out that travel site has horrible reviews b/c they overbook all the time. I called the hotel and they said they were all booked up that day! So now I'm starting my search over again! The list from the other two travel places turns out to be the same as SAS. so they all go from same hotels.

Check LMT for a hotel

http://www.lastminutetravel.com

Join the "club" and they usually have some good bargains. I've used them many times.

I saw on SAS that the times were 9:30 or 11 am. I know you guys are saying to get to the port for 11 am? So I should catch the 9:30. That means we will be sitting around for an hour?.

It should take you close to an hour to get to the Port Of Miami so hopefully when you arrive between 10:30 and 11AM (they have to pick up at other hotels) you'll be able to walk right on.

You really don't care because that is one nasty, gross motel. Also, beware of the hookers.

Edited by BlueHerons

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the help. We ended up booking Crowne Plaza for $374. It was impossible do under $200 and not be a complete dumb. Actually my son's dad choose it because I coudldn't pull the trigger. At least it has transportation from airport to hotel. And then the next morning we are going to schedule SAS to go from hotel to port.

We tried to sign up for 11 boarding but it is all full. So we only have 12:30. Does anyone know if this means we get there at 12:30 there is barely a wait? If we get there at 11, will they let us on? I'm asking b/c I never know how my son (autistic) will do with the long wait. I'm trying to plan my pick up such that it will cause the least amount of problems for him (and the people around him).