Passport fees, oh my!!

fridaythe13th

Renewing for the first time and it's more expensive than when I got the original one! I certainly wasn't expecting $110 to renew! :eek: :(

buy a new one/first time one today and it is even more expensive.

my first passport was $95. think they are $135 now

Renewing for the first time and it's more expensive than when I got the original one! I certainly wasn't expecting $110 to renew! :eek: :(

It's been $110 for a number of years. As other's have said, $11 per year for a passport is pretty cheap. Not much more than the price of one alcoholic drink per year.

Edited by SantaFeFan

The passport office has not been the same since Frances Knight was ousted as director in 1977. http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1298&dat=19770715&id=6ABOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=-osDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6793,1770635

Wow! Talk about dredging up old information to make a point (whatever that point is completely escapes me)!

And I thought someone resurrecting a two year old thread was bad enough. Here we have an almost 40 year old article that someone is supposed to be relevant to the topic! :eek:

Makes me wonder why this poster remembers this article. :)

Edited by sloopsailor

I wish, renewals here (Australia) are about $230 for 10 years and we MUST have a passport for any travel outside Australia.

It's less than $1 per month. Once you get your passport, I recommend getting a global entry card as well. It works as a TSA pre check. $100 for 5 years. My brother didn't believe it was worth the cost. I went through the airport TSA checkpoint in 2 minutes while my brother waited for over an hour in the regular line. We met up at the bar. He applied the next day.

I wish, renewals here (Australia) are about $230 for 10 years and we MUST have a passport for any travel outside Australia.

I spilt coffee on mine whilst in Europe. Travelled all over Europe, in cluding Russia, no problems. Returned home no problems. When I wanted to go to Asia last year I was told my Passport was not up to standard and that I was travelling at my own risk. Two weeks in Asia including CHina no problems. I still have five years on it. Mmmm Cruising again Jan 2016. I suppose I will have to fork out, as my passport is now flagged as 'having been told'. K

I spilt coffee on mine whilst in Europe. Travelled all over Europe, in cluding Russia, no problems. Returned home no problems. When I wanted to go to Asia last year I was told my Passport was not up to standard and that I was travelling at my own risk. Two weeks in Asia including CHina no problems. I still have five years on it. Mmmm Cruising again Jan 2016. I suppose I will have to fork out, as my passport is now flagged as 'having been told'. K

Ouch. Yes, you would hate them to deny you entry/ boarding. How annoying.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Exactly point! Definitely worth the investment.

That it is worth it is entirely a judgment call, but the cost is certainly reasonable. We'll be applying for our first passport in the next couple of weeks and the total for 2 is $300.

It's been $110 for a number of years. As other's have said, $11 per year for a passport is pretty cheap. Not much more than the price of one alcoholic drink per year.

I am almost 90 and don't think I can count on 10 more years. Oh well, I can't take it with me.

Wow! Talk about dredging up old information to make a point (whatever that point is completely escapes me)!

And I thought someone resurrecting a two year old thread was bad enough. Here we have an almost 40 year old article that someone is supposed to be relevant to the topic! :eek:

Makes me wonder why this poster remembers this article. :)

With discussion of passport prices in 1976 I thought an article about the ouster in 1977 of the woman who made the passport office the most efficient bureau in the US government relevant. I was not a fan of the woman and find that an inflation adjusted $40 passport in 1976 would cost $168 today.

I am almost 90 and don't think I can count on 10 more years. Oh well, I can't take it with me.

That's true of both your money and your passport!

It's less than $1 per month. Once you get your passport, I recommend getting a global entry card as well. It works as a TSA pre check. $100 for 5 years. My brother didn't believe it was worth the cost. I went through the airport TSA checkpoint in 2 minutes while my brother waited for over an hour in the regular line. We met up at the bar. He applied the next day.

The exact same thing happened to me but regarding a Nexus card, and I was the one who put off applying for so long.

With discussion of passport prices in 1976 I thought an article about the ouster in 1977 of the woman who made the passport office the most efficient bureau in the US government relevant. I was not a fan of the woman and find that an inflation adjusted $40 passport in 1976 would cost $168 today.

Thanks for the clarification. Now I understand the relevance of the reference to that article.