The horseradish served in the MDR with the prime rib

CowPrincess

There is a brand called Atomic Horse Radish. Have you tried it? You could also make it yourself from horse radish root. We make it and it is HOT.

DON

Whatever name it goes by, I love it. Nothing better then some nice hot horseradish, or wasabi.

Edited by PathfinderEss

I love horseradish.... with beef... or with Bloody Mary too!

Also with beef..... English Coleman's mustard... not that sweet French stuff...

I sometimes use a bit of both, but sometime I scared I might be messing with nature and just enjoy the beef as it is!

As for pork and apple sauce, mint on lamb or cranberry on turkey... I'd rather be shot myself than putting that stuff on a poor animal!!!!!

There is a brand called Atomic Horse Radish. Have you tried it? You could also make it yourself from horse radish root. We make it and it is HOT.

DON

There are several old abandoned "settlers" gardens around here, many still growing horseradish. Could I dig that and use it? Would that work? Anything I should look for in particular? Or is it safer to buy the horseradish root from the grocery store? (We seldom see it in the grocery store, but I might be able to get "hooked up" with some....)

I found a recipe, it certainly looks relatively easy.

(Can't find a Canadian source for Atomic)

Edited by CowPrincess

I sometimes use a bit of both, but sometime I scared I might be messing with nature and just enjoy the beef as it is!

As for pork and apple sauce, mint on lamb or cranberry on turkey... I'd rather be shot myself than putting that stuff on a poor animal!!!!!

Can't say I've ever tried beef with Colmans mustard, I'm far more into the horseradish and beef.

Cranberry on turkey, I do enjoy that. ;) Homemade cranberry sauce along with homemade dressing. Yum! :D

I do believe it is made fresh - my favourite.

But, if you choose not to do that - have you tried Holsbros?

my favourite so far other than freshly made.

I saw Holbros on the walmart Canada site. I will order it, and try. No fresh horseradish around here for a few months yet ;)

DON

My DH loved Atomic Horse Radish. He had it at some Ruth's Chris restaurants. :)

There are several old abandoned "settlers" gardens around here, many still growing horseradish. Could I dig that and use it? Would that work? Anything I should look for in particular? Or is it safer to buy the horseradish root from the grocery store? (We seldom see it in the grocery store, but I might be able to get "hooked up" with some....)

Whenever I made fresh horseradish from the root, when peeling it my eyes and nose would burn something awful. I used to put my hands out the window and close the window down on my wrists to help with the strong effect. :D DH and his good friend would eat it until they both were perspiring and panting for breath it was so hot.

Edited by sail7seas

We always buy the root in the store. Just be prepared for massive eye watering when you make it.

DON

Love the horseradish & Coleman's with beef. Always have a can of Coleman's on hand. Have the nicest little mustard port. A small Royal blue glass liner in a silver pot with a tiny spoon. Also love horseradish in a Bloody Mary. You speak my language, Stephen.:)

Silver Spring Extra-Hot Prepared Horseradish is stocked in most supermarkets in this area.(upstate New York). It is hot.

If you grate your own remember that once you add vinegar the heat will stop developing. The longer you wait the hotter it gets. Wait too long and it will discolor so timing is important and tasting as it develops is very important.

bosco

I'm particularly fond of Boar's Head horseradish. It comes in either the raw or cream style. Love the raw with prime rib and the cream or processed version on sandwiches. A little goes a long ways. :eek::D

I also make my own with Boar's Head horseradish, sour cream, a little mayo and Dijon, and sprinkle in a small amount of chopped chives or green onion if I have them on hand. So easy and so much better than the bottled horseradish sauce.

DON

I agree, Atomic is the BEST! Just don't sniff the jar when you first open it.....sinus goes ballistic!

Silver Spring Extra-Hot Prepared Horseradish is stocked in most supermarkets in this area.(upstate New York). It is hot.

If you grate your own remember that once you add vinegar the heat will stop developing. The longer you wait the hotter it gets. Wait too long and it will discolor so timing is important and tasting as it develops is very important.

bosco

We always buy the root in the store. Just be prepared for massive eye watering when you make it.

DON

Thank you for those very important bits of information. I'm going to buy some horseradish root the next time I see it in the grocery store :D